English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 March 2016, 15:23   #1
turrican9

Made a Gotek 21 - 512 tracklist with USB image file for download

So I just made a complete tracklist for my Gotek floppy emulator. I handpicked known or good game titles. I made the ADF list in word and have put all the selected games in it's own folder. I will start to put all the games in their respective tracks on the 'selector.adf'.

If there is any interest I can upload the word document (consist of 18 pages. track 21 to 512), games folder and selector.adf (whole USB drive image needed to be uploaded). I think this should be a very neat solution. I left the first 20 tracks out of this list for use with other stuff. I also made empty ADFs for games that require a savedisk. Games like Dune II have Disk 6 as savedisk (renamed the last disk) and Pirates! has Disk 3 as savedisk (also renamed). For other games I named the empty ADF with same name as game ADF and put a '_Save' at the end. So if there are any interest I will try to compress it and find a place to upload it. Oh, and there are no AGA titles here as this list was made for my Amiga 500.

Edit: The list will be from track 21 - 512.

Purpose of this is download my image, write the image to your USB stick with the USB image program that comes with the download, use the word document that also comes in the download to see a list (recommend to print it out) of what games are in what slots and just select any of the games I handpicked without the need to boot the selector file. In addition the whole gamebase (all AGA games removed because I originally made it for a 4GB stick and intended it for ECS/OSC Amigas. Now that it is for 8GB USB drive one could add the AGA titles if wanted.) is on the USB drive so you could boot up the selector if wanted and assign more games to the list. Also there is a collection of good demos on the USB drive. The reason I had to make images of my USB drives is because if you copy the selector and contents manually the pre-filled track selection will not work. It's quite the work to sit there and add 500 games to the tracks. So I share these images so it will be easy for people to just write to their own USB drives and use my track list. This is for the Gotek with Cortex 1.05a firmware.

Update:

Complete upload link (2.86GB download winrar archive. This one requires your email address to download) with the USB drive image, Word text document with the tracklist and Image USB program to write the image to your USB drive. Note: needs at least 7.22GB USB drive to write the image correctly. 8GB USB drives should be perfect. Anything over that is fine but it will only appear to be as large as the image written anyway.

Updated download link for the above mentioned 8GB USB Image winrar archive. This one is hosted on my Google drive so no email address required to download. Please let me know if you have problems downloading it

Here is the 4GB Image for those who have 4GB USB drives. Download is 1.83GB.

Track list only (just the word document)

Updated Google Drive link for the tracklist only.

Note: On a Gotek with Cortex firmware a few games like Space Hulk, Goal and Soccer Kid cannot swap disks with only one Gotek. However, I have tested these games with two Goteks used as DF0 and DF1 and got them working. Also, for Cannon Fodder it is impossible to make a save on a Gotek with Cortex firmware due to Cannon Fodder using a special custom save disk. It can only be converted to extended ADF which will be a 2MB ADF file. The gotek only supports regular 880KB ADFs. You can however save in Cannon Fodder if you connect a regular disk drive as DF1 and use a regular floppy to save this one game. Cannon Fodder 2 and most other games I've seen uses regular 880KB ADF for saving and have no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
Here is my new tracklist. Am currently working on making the USB Image into a winrar archive and uploading it. It will include the word document with the tracklist (the one that is linked for download in this post) and it will include the Image USB program so you can write the 7.22GB USB drive Image to any USB stick that is 7.22GB or more.

Update: The download file will be 2.86GB. Uploading as I wrote this. When this image is written to a USB drive using the Image USB program that comes in the archive one can use the USB stick in any Amiga Gotek drive with the latest Cortex firmware and load any image from the tracklist that comes with it. My latest tracklist goes from 21 to 512. In addition there is alot of other games and demos on the USB image. All AGA games are removed as this was meant for Amiga ECS/OCS machines and the possibility to make it friendly also for 4GB USB drives. Allthough this image will require a 7.22GB or more USB drive. I did this to have extra space to add more stuff.

And of course the purpose of all this is to have all the good/more known games easily available without the need to boot up the selector menu. The really large games like Monkey Island 2 and in general games with more than 5 disks was removed from my latest tracklist because I cannot imagine many people wanting to do all the diskswapping nowadays. They can still be found in the drive though and put in other tracks. Oh, and I just remembered that the folder where all the games are stored on the USB drive is called "Spill" which is the Norwegian word for "Games". This should not be a problem anyway I guess. But don't rename it because I don't think the tracklist will work correctly then.

Here is how the list looks. It consists of 18 pages. I printed it out for use with my Amiga.

Last edited by turrican9; 02 April 2016 at 22:25. Reason: new title corrected and reflect the thread better
Old 11 March 2016, 16:58   #2
happymondays

Sounds interesting, thanks for the offer, I would be interested to have a look at it.
Old 11 March 2016, 19:06   #3
turrican9

Finished adding all the ADFs to the tracks. I have the rar archive uploaded to Google drive here. File is about 300MB. Just unpack the file to the root of the USB stick used for the Gotek. Overwrite your own selector.adf (take backup if necessary). Top Games folder should be in the root when unpacked. Also the word document with the track list is there. Its best to just print it out for use with the Gotek and Amiga.

A few tips on the Gotek.. if you want to skip alot of tracks faster then just hold the track selection button. it will then speed up. To get back to track 0 just hold both buttons.

Please notify me if the link does not work.

Edit: for some reason I cannot get the tracklist to work when I copy this selector.adf over to another usb stick. I can see all the games are on the tracks but they refuse to load. I will investigate further

How strange. Trying to clone the USB stick with Acronis True Image now. See how that goes...

Last edited by turrican9; 02 April 2016 at 15:27.
Old 29 March 2016, 20:07   #4
turrican9

I found the solution. If I use a program called Image USB made by Passmark to clone the USB drive then it will work correctly. This way I just clone the USB drive for use in my second Gotek used for DF1 so I can easily use both drives practically for games that requires alot of disk swapping. The problem is uploading the 8GB image if I wanted to share it with people at the forum. I dont know where to upload an image that big for free.

Last edited by turrican9; 29 March 2016 at 20:39.
Old 29 March 2016, 20:51   #5
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

If you use Windows there's Microsoft Cloud.
Old 31 March 2016, 11:39   #6
vulture

and there's mega (co nz) which is free and allows 50gb of space
Old 31 March 2016, 16:57   #7
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
and there's mega (co nz) which is free and allows 50gb of space
Really? I made a new tracklist in word and my 8GB USB drive image is filled with about 4GB of games and demos. Image will still be 8GB though.

So if people are interested I could do it. It would be as simple as downloading the image and word document, then mirror the image to your own 8GB USB stick then use the word document with what games are in what track or print it out. On my latest tracklist I took out games that was over 5 disks (like monkey island 2) but have in general known/good games. The tracklist starts at track 21 and goes to track 512. All filled with games. Even put save disks for games I know will need it. There is much more games on the USB stick than the ones pre-loaded in the tracks. I downloaded the whole game archive from emuparadise. There is also a folder with a nice demo collection made by some dude. Keep in mind that all AGA games and other languages than English versions of ADFs are removed to save space. I made this for Amiga 500/Amiga 600 OCS/ECS.
Old 31 March 2016, 17:17   #8
demolition
Unregistered User

If you put the image into an archive it will surely be a lot smaller, probably around 2GB.
Old 31 March 2016, 20:27   #9
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I downloaded the whole game archive from emuparadise.
So you mean an older version of GameBase Amiga then
Old 31 March 2016, 20:51   #10
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
So you mean an older version of GameBase Amiga then
this one Amiga Fullset ROM

I have added a few games and changed out some ADF versions that I could not get to work.
Old 31 March 2016, 21:10   #11
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I guess so... definitely the individual downloads for games are actually from an older version of GameBase Amiga
Old 31 March 2016, 21:11   #12
turrican9

Quote:
I guess so... definitely the individual downloads for games are actually from an older version of GameBase Amiga
Would that be a problem?
Old 31 March 2016, 21:26   #13
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Would that be a problem?
No; of course not. Belgarath has done an absolutely amazing job compiling all this

Just pointing it out for people who were unaware that EmuParadise is really a download portal (so to speak) for older GameBase Amiga files

You're probably better off grabbing the latest from the EAB file server under Belgo's uploads though
Old 31 March 2016, 22:40   #14
turrican9

Quote:
No; of course not. Belgarath has done an absolutely amazing job compiling all this

Just pointing it out for people who were unaware that EmuParadise is really a download portal (so to speak) for older GameBase Amiga files

You're probably better off grabbing the latest from the EAB file server under Belgo's uploads though
Thanks. But there is no complete file to download. Have to download every single game it seems?
Old 31 March 2016, 22:42   #15
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Thanks. But there is no complete file to download. Have to download every single game it seems?
Ask Belgo; maybe like the previous versions eLowar is hosting somewhere
Old 01 April 2016, 21:25   #16
jotd
This cat is no more

I would like to get your tracklist, as I am creating a cd32load compilation with only good games. The start of your list looks a lot like mine !
Old 01 April 2016, 22:00   #17
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I would like to get your tracklist, as I am creating a cd32load compilation with only good games. The start of your list looks a lot like mine !
Here is my new tracklist. Am currently working on making the USB Image into a winrar archive and uploading it. It will include the word document with the tracklist (the one that is linked for download in this post) and it will include the Image USB program so you can write the 7.22GB USB drive Image to any USB stick that is 7.22GB or more.

Update: The download file will be 2.86GB. Uploading as I wrote this. When this image is written to a USB drive using the Image USB program that comes in the archive one can use the USB stick in any Amiga Gotek drive with the latest Cortex firmware and load any image from the tracklist that comes with it. My latest tracklist goes from 21 to 512. In addition there is alot of other games and demos on the USB image. All AGA games are removed as this was meant for Amiga ECS/OCS machines and the possibility to make it friendly also for 4GB USB drives. Allthough this image will require a 7.22GB or more USB drive. I did this to have extra space to add more stuff.

And of course the purpose of all this is to have all the good/more known games easily available without the need to boot up the selector menu. The really large games like Monkey Island 2 and in general games with more than 5 disks was removed from my latest tracklist because I cannot imagine many people wanting to do all the diskswapping nowadays. They can still be found in the drive though and put in other tracks. Oh, and I just remembered that the folder where all the games are stored on the USB drive is called "Spill" which is the Norwegian word for "Games". This should not be a problem anyway I guess. But don't rename it because I don't think the tracklist will work correctly then.

Last edited by turrican9; 01 April 2016 at 22:36.
Old 01 April 2016, 23:48   #18
LocoSombrero

Thanks a lot, just got my Gotek today, using the Cortex 1.05a firmware. After a bit of confusion during the actual drive installation (a few guides had me mislead), I finally got the Gotek up'n'running. It's almost spooky how silent the A500 is now

Anyway, I'd be really interested in having an all-in-one -solution for the Gotek like the one you have there; I realized it's a bit of pain to meddle thru all those disks & disk images. I'll be trying this out, thanks!
Old 02 April 2016, 01:06   #19
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoSombrero View Post
Thanks a lot, just got my Gotek today, using the Cortex 1.05a firmware. After a bit of confusion during the actual drive installation (a few guides had me mislead), I finally got the Gotek up'n'running. It's almost spooky how silent the A500 is now

Anyway, I'd be really interested in having an all-in-one -solution for the Gotek like the one you have there; I realized it's a bit of pain to meddle thru all those disks & disk images. I'll be trying this out, thanks!
yeah, it's a very strange feeling how silent it is when loading games. I did a sound mod for one of my Goteks but removed it as I didn't like the buzzer sound. I got some trouble with my upload but am currently trying to upload the file to a new location. Hopefully I will have a working download link in 1 or 2 hours
Old 02 April 2016, 01:33   #20
turrican9

Here is the 2.86GB upload with everything you need

Updated download link

first post is also updated with the link and info.

Last edited by turrican9; 02 April 2016 at 16:02.