English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 26 March 2018, 16:09   #41
Akira

I agree about him being overrated as a musician in general. I mean, yeah, all the stuff mentioned above, is true, but he did do some really interesting things with the SID chip in question, to be fair, but they are platform-specific. HE even created his own damn sound driver for it, that's a shit ton of work!! Cannot dismiss the man as a sham.

However, anything else Hubbard did on other platforms, that I heard, sounded like absolute garbage. It's like he never really was any good at using anything but the SID palette. Sure, he has compositional skills, enough to be able to rip-off other music at times ( ) but it feels like he really wasn't so good at sound selection/design.

To illustrate with a counter example: take Tim Follin, who also did incredible things on C64. Listen to anything he did on other platforms, and it will also be amazing. That to me is an all-round amazing musician and personally makes Tim Follin IMO the best of the oldschool SID bunch, even though usually he is way below Hubbard in people's ranks.

Now fight me if you want.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 March 2018, 16:38   #42
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
Dragon's Lair, Master of Magic, Knucklebusters, Delta in-game. All his long industrial and moody stuff is incredible IMO and hasn't been said to rip off anything. (Delta is Floyd inspired. Zoids is a cover.)
Master of Magic is a cover version of (or at least "inspired by") the track Shibolet by Synergy. [ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 March 2018, 16:49   #43
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
However, anything else Hubbard did on other platforms, that I heard, sounded like absolute garbage. It's like he never really was any good at using anything but the SID palette. Sure, he has compositional skills, enough to be able to rip-off other music at times ( ) but it feels like he really wasn't so good at sound selection/design.

To illustrate with a counter example: take Tim Follin, who also did incredible things on C64. Listen to anything he did on other platforms, and it will also be amazing. That to me is an all-round amazing musician and personally makes Tim Follin IMO the best of the oldschool SID bunch, even though usually he is way below Hubbard in people's ranks.
This. Hubbard on the Megadrive is just a waste of a good FM chip.

That being said, Tim and Geoff Follin both managed to make the AY/YM sound incredible while also managing to make the SID sound like an AY/YM. They also hated the Amiga, but I can't blame them – they wanted something more than four channels and the chip RAM budget was too small at the time for musicians to feel at home unless they were Karsten Obarski.
Old 26 March 2018, 18:14   #44
Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
There are melodic sections in his music but it's also highly experimental, what with annoying noises and so forth, like he was experimenting with SID, but the Atari has a similar feel.
Being experimental in published material means to me that you are good enough to get away with it I'd say it's far from easy.
Old 26 March 2018, 23:28   #45
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Hubbard on another system

Well.. this is rather good.

[ Show youtube player ]
AdSense AdSense