Old 24 February 2014, 20:12   #1
gryf

Unable to type pipe and backslash characters

Hey.

I've noticed that today - I am unable to input pipe (
|
) and backslash (
\
) characters inside emulated Amiga. Doesn't matter which system I'm using. Checked against WB 1.3 and WB 3.1 with kickstarts 1.3, 3.0 and 3.1 on FS-UAE 2.4.0 on Linux and Windows.

Funny thing is, that if I'm run AROS Workbook (it is executed by default if fs-uae configuration does not provide any kickstart), than backslash and pipe automagically works… Bug?
Old 24 February 2014, 21:40   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

What is your keyboard language setting in Workbench? -And please open the keyshow utility in Workbench and find the key(s) with pipe and backslash and try the corresponding *physical* key on your keyboard.

Note: the number row on PC keyboards has one less key than the Amiga. The extra key is mapped to "Insert".
Old 25 February 2014, 17:16   #3
gryf

On one of my Workbench (both are 3.x):
- Keyboard: American (default)
- language: En (default)

On the other:
- Keyboard: iso-pol
- language: En (default)

My system language is English, while keyboard have qwerty intl pl map. On Windows machine is similar setup (interface language is set to US and keyboard is polish (programmers)).

Keyshow utility doesn't work for me, except showing the layout of the current keymap - the only thing that have some response are ctrl, shift and alt keys.

Extra key (insert) works as the pipe and backslash, but what bothers me is why it is mapped to the insert instead of the original one, and why this behaviour is only with the original kickstarts (not the AROS replacement).

I've extra checked it against WinUAE - pipe/backslash key is mapped to the right key, as expected on exactly same setup.

Hope that helps.
Old 25 February 2014, 18:19   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

See http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=362 - it has an image which illustrates the problem. It is not really a question of right and wrong, as I said, the PC keyboard has one less key than the Amiga keyboard, so one key needs to be "put somewhere else".

With many (or all?) Amiga keyboard layouts, the moved key is the one which has pipe/backslash. As you can see in the linked thread/post, I also raised the issue of whether it would be better to move one of the other keys instead.

As for AROS workbook, I guess it simply has a different (Amiga) keyboard layout...?
Old 25 February 2014, 20:44   #5
jbl007

This line in your config might fix your problem:
Code:
keyboard_key_backslash = action_key_backslash
Old 26 February 2014, 17:24   #6
gryf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
See http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=362 - it has an image which illustrates the problem. It is not really a question of right and wrong, as I said, the PC keyboard has one less key than the Amiga keyboard, so one key needs to be "put somewhere else".

With many (or all?) Amiga keyboard layouts, the moved key is the one which has pipe/backslash. As you can see in the linked thread/post, I also raised the issue of whether it would be better to move one of the other keys instead.

As for AROS workbook, I guess it simply has a different (Amiga) keyboard layout...?
IMHO the key, which should be moved as the extra key (insert in our case), should be any other but no such common key as pipe/backslash. I used to own the Amiga which have an american keyboard layout, so there was TWO extra BLANK keys, just as on the picture below (british keyboard layout have those keys blank as well), so I'd expect that rather one of those keys would be mapped to insert, not the pipe.

If I can remap the keyboard for the emulator (and seems like it is possible, thank you jbl007 for pointing it out) that's fine by me, I've just been surprised by the default behaviour, that's all

Click image for larger version

Name:	a1200uskbd.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	39184
Old 24 March 2014, 20:41   #7
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

The blank keys are functional (and on non-UK Amiga keyboard layouts) they have symbols. They are mapped positionally to the corresponding keys on European PC keyboards.

If you want to swap so the Amiga equals key is moved to the Insert key instead, you can use the following config:
Code:
keyboard_key_equals = action_key_backslash
keyboard_key_insert = action_key_equals
Old 04 August 2015, 23:47   #8
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

As of 2.5.34dev, keyboard_key_backslash is mapped to action_key_backslash by default. The host insert key is mapped to Amiga keycode 0x2B (was previously on the "backslash key").