English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 17 November 2004, 00:04   #1
Jim

Custom Kickstart ROMs

I'm suprised I haven't seen any floating around, well there is the infamous lame kickstart hack that just had someone change the version numbers of the last KS3.1 chip to confuse every one.

But what I meant was for instance a KS3.1 image that has been modified to show a nice EAB logo or something.

I presume it is just a case of working out where the RAW graphics are stored in the disassembled code, changing a few things & reassembling ?

OK, technically you wouldn't be able to release it but is it possible to do stuff like this? Isn't it all 68k after all? How come I've not seen one lame attempt at changing the KS visually so it's visible to the end-user?

Old 17 November 2004, 07:43   #2
keropi

and at the bottom line, after a great deal of work to change gfx (that would only be shown if there was no HD or floppy to boot), what would be the use for such a hack??? to display a cool logo? why? I think noone needed that, that's why there is not such a hack...
Old 17 November 2004, 09:16   #3
Dr. Dude

Why not?
A kickrom whit a difrent pic will be cool.
Maybe we even can build a total new Rom? 3.5 ? 4.0? 1200.7?
Now these can't be used in reall migy's, but surely in UAE
Old 17 November 2004, 13:55   #4
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi
and at the bottom line, after a great deal of work to change gfx (that would only be shown if there was no HD or floppy to boot), what would be the use for such a hack??? to display a cool logo? why? I think noone needed that, that's why there is not such a hack...
Not once in my original statement did I say it would be a cool thing to do. I actually said it would be lame. The only thing it would add to the community is more TOSEC ROM confusion. But with so many lamers in the world I am suprised it hasn't already been done !

Old 17 November 2004, 14:27   #5
keropi

yeah, ok whatever... I cannot see a point in your post, you are arguing with yourself...
Old 17 November 2004, 14:29   #6
Jim

Better than arguing with people on here and upsetting them

Old 17 November 2004, 14:58   #7
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I'm suprised I haven't seen any floating around, well there is the infamous lame kickstart hack that just had someone change the version numbers of the last KS3.1 chip to confuse every one.

But what I meant was for instance a KS3.1 image that has been modified to show a nice EAB logo or something.

OK, technically you wouldn't be able to release it but is it possible to do stuff like this? Isn't it all 68k after all? How come I've not seen one lame attempt at changing the KS visually so it's visible to the end-user?
Well, HQC and Level42 released patched versions of Kickstart 1.2 and UFO released a patched Kickstart 1.3 disk with additions like intros, virus killers, memory config programs, and file copiers. There was also a virus protector called Guardian that could be incorporated into Kickstart 1.2 and possibly 1.3 disks for IIRC.

You could possibly mess with these disks and make your own custom additions. There are a few utilities on Aminet that will make images of A1000 Kickstart disks. Not sure about how you'd tackle the later Kickstarts, though, without having a good knowledge of code disassembly.
Old 17 November 2004, 15:04   #8
Dr. Dude

Can that also been done whit a 3.1 Rom?
Place in all sort of stuf in it
Old 17 November 2004, 15:53   #9
AmiGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dude
... also 3.1 Rom?
Why not ?

Disassembling the kickstart and playing around with it would be very interesting. In some cases it could make sense how DrBong mentioned.
For learning issues it is great (e.g. the libraries, startup code etc.)...
Old 17 November 2004, 16:48   #10
Amiga1992

It would be cool if modified, expanded or upgraded kickstart sets existed, like the Commodore 64 jiffydos etc.People have been doing custom ROMs for C64s for a while now, I know the computers are very different, but still...
Old 17 November 2004, 17:02   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You can modify your own kickstart ROM. I believe that 'files' are stored on the kickstart ROM in filesystem kinda way (e.g. scsi.device etc.)

I've seen kickstart v3.1 with several of these modules replaced (I think to allow booting from CD?)

The easiest way to have custom kickstarts in a 'big-box' Amiga is to use Individual Computing's KickFlash or Elbox's eflash.

I believe that some tools exist to replace files within the kickstart ROM with updated versions. I think that CoyoteFlux did some of the tools, however I could be wrong.

I bought a load of OTP (one time programmable) EPROM's that are pin compatible with the Amiga kickstart ROM last month, about 50p each, an easy way (with a programmer) to have modified Kickstart's on vanilla A500 / A1200 amiga's.
Old 18 November 2004, 08:43   #12
redblade
Zone Friend

well if you do hack the roms, fix up some of the AmigaDOS features ie pipe, and make it so that workbench spawns operations as a new process, ie when you click on a disk, it gets spawned as a new process so you can go about another action
Old 18 November 2004, 09:50   #13
AmiGer

For those who want to have a little bit of fun I've disassembled the kick 31 using ira. The source and the found text items are in the zone. The source is just 6MB big so that's ok...
The disassembling command is:

ira -binary -a -text=1 -offset=$f80000 kick31.rom >1.txt

Remember that I've also disassembled the data. This can be avoided with some efforts by using the PREPROC/CONFIG commands. The files have amiga line feeds in them so if you want to have a look from the pc convert the files from UNIX/MAC to DOS format (e.g.UltraEdit).
If you want to reassemble it you have to insert the following line at the beginning of the source:

ORG $F80000

Delete the SECTION line ! The reassembling command is:

phxass kick31

You need a lot of RAM for that: 2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast and 8 MB Z3 Fast.
In the binary file delete the object infos (first 32 bytes and last 4 bytes).

And now: you have a 100% 1:1 reassembled binary !!! Easy to modify but I have no time, I have to care about my own project now...

Have fun...
Old 18 November 2004, 11:57   #14
Dr. Dude

Maybe a wiert thing , but is it posible to place in a whole workbench in a Rom?
Like in rom 3.1 a Wb 3.1

All you need is rom
Old 18 November 2004, 12:27   #15
keropi

that would take a LOT of time, patches for the wb3.1 , (or a fake HD device which actually is the rom space, but would still need patches to redirect writting operations to a media), a bank switching mechanism to read the new bigger sized roms... Have u considered a pcmcia flash disk???
Old 18 November 2004, 14:46   #16
Jim

Hey guys, you're all talking about serious ideas in here! What with embedding Workbe nch in the ROM, linking to code stored in PCMCIA cards etc... etc...

My original idea was only for a L.A.M.E. animated logo !!!

Old 18 November 2004, 14:57   #17
AmiGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Hey guys, you're all talking about serious ideas in here...
Well, then go and give it a try...
Old 18 November 2004, 15:09   #18
Jim

OK, maybe it does have some uses !

Thanks for the initial disassembly there AmiGer.

I think what we need to do now are 2 things.

1 - Split the code (includes) to make it more managable.

2 - Fully dissasemble/comment/ the code so it's more meaningful.

If a few of us worked on this then we'd have a good starting base for enhancements/modifications. Whilst sometime in the future it might be possible to create a physical ROM from this and fit it to an Amiga, I think we should all presume that this is "just for fun" and WinUAE only.

What we're probably doing is illegal so I don't think we could host it in a place such as sourceforge.net, and maybe RCK would rather we didn't post more files here?

Maybe we need to find someone with a FTP or something.....?

Old 18 November 2004, 15:43   #19
Paul
RIP Friends

Yes it is illegal as the kickstart roms are still copyrighted. (even if modified)

As far as I know, I see no problem in talking about customising, showing pics etc. as long as you do not posts a link/attachment, where to download the ROMs from or post the source code.

And why it this not in the Rules? I’ll have to add this asap.

Edit: Added to FAQ/Rules (Just needs RCKs approval)

Last edited by Paul; 18 November 2004 at 16:05.
Old 18 November 2004, 16:34   #20
Dr. Dude

This is bull, the only ones selling the roms are the cloanto dude's
And thay are only making cash of it

And hey, i own kick 3.1 So for me it will no be iligal

I say go ahead dude's, build a new and inporoved Rom
Hey maybe burn it down to a eeprom

I see if i can set up FTP, i have a forum running. So if needed it can go on there