English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 November 2010, 16:06   #1
merkaba48

Remapping joystick controls?

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

I've done searches for this but didn't find a satisfactory answer. Quite simply, I want to remap my joystick buttons. I use a PS2 pad with an adapter and I want to make X the 'up' button, so I can play a platform style game without having to push up on the D-pad to jump.

The problem is, WinUAE fills in all the mappings automatically - which is great - but then does not allow me to change those settings in the Input tab. The Input Target boxes are all greyed out - unless they are set to <none>.

I refuse to believe I'm asking to do something unorthodox here. Please help?

Thanks

Old 20 November 2010, 21:19   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Not sure which version of WinUAE you use, but make sure that the upper left box on the input panel reads 'Configuration #x'. Then you should be able to remap your buttons
Old 20 November 2010, 22:31   #3
merkaba48

Thanks for replying!

I'm using WinUAE 2.3.0. I'm still having trouble:

When I go to Game Ports and select my joypad (SmartJoy PLUS Adapter), WinUAE automatically fills in the basic settings in the Input tab. I can't change these automatically filled in options, even though it is set to Configuration #1. #2, #3, and Game Ports Panel are all the same - all the standard button Input Target pulldown boxes are greyed out.

Old 20 November 2010, 22:33   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Have you clicked on a button to remap? The dropdown boxes stay greyed out until you click on a button/key. If they are still greyed out, then you'll have to wait for Toni to have a look.
Old 20 November 2010, 22:53   #5
merkaba48

I'm not sure what you mean by that - I have clicked on the list item, I'm not sure what else I can do. I tried 'Remap' and pressing the corresponding button on my pad, but it was still greyed out.

Here is a picture showing how it looks:

Old 20 November 2010, 22:57   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hmm, just checked again and maybe clicking on the '1' button with the down arrow on the right and changing it to '2' should work. However, I'm not sure that's how it should work, but it should work for now
Old 20 November 2010, 22:59   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If you only want to remap joystick: use gameports panel, it is much easier and faster.

If you want to do more complex remapping, do not select it in gameports panel and remap everything using input panel.
Old 20 November 2010, 23:01   #8
merkaba48

Yup, that lets me put my own mappings in...how do I then use it in-game? I would refer to a manual at this point, but my install didn't seem to come with one :-)

Old 20 November 2010, 23:03   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Which game and do you use WHDLoad? Mind that most games only use one button (but you can remap keyboard keys of course).
Old 20 November 2010, 23:14   #10
merkaba48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
If you only want to remap joystick: use gameports panel, it is much easier and faster.

If you want to do more complex remapping, do not select it in gameports panel and remap everything using input panel.
Wow..yes I can see that would be much easier. Unfortunately my control pad does a weird thing where it registers releasing a D-pad button as well as pressing it down, which makes this process skip two bindings in a row. D'oh! I'm not doing very well, am I

Old 20 November 2010, 23:30   #11
merkaba48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post

How would I go about doing your second suggestion? Doesn't the Gameport panel need the joypad selected in one of the ports to function?

Old 21 November 2010, 02:32   #12
merkaba48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Which game and do you use WHDLoad? Mind that most games only use one button (but you can remap keyboard keys of course).
I'm trying to play Turrican 2 with a PS2 pad; D-pad for left/right/duck, X for jump, R1 for fire, and some other button for SPACE.

I don't use WHDLoad...I don't know what it is, either!

Old 21 November 2010, 08:26   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Okay, then do it like Toni said and disable it in game ports. Afterwards you can map the buttons/d-pad via the input panel manually. Make sure you use the 'Joy 2' directions and buttons.
Old 21 November 2010, 11:51   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

GamePorts is simply less complex GUI for Input panel. Input panel does not need anything set in GamePorts panel.

Recent WinUAE versions have one major change, previously Input panel always overrode all GamePorts settings completely. Which was quite confusing because it was not possible to select joystick using GamePorts and then add some more extra mappings with Input panel. You had to configure everything using painful(*) to use Input panel.

Now GamePorts settings override Input panel settings (slots #2-#4 are still free to remap if needed). Which means: use GamePorts as long as GamePorts Remap button does what you want (simple mapping). If it does not, leave it unmapped in GamePorts and use Input panel to remap it completely.

*) It isn't that painful anymore, just use Test and Remap buttons.
Old 21 November 2010, 16:35   #15
merkaba48

Excellent, I have it working now thank you! It's a shame nothing came with the installer that made any of this clear. Excellent functionality, but my word it's a pain to figure out what does what.

Old 12 December 2010, 23:23   #16
BuckoA51

I find the controller settings in WinUAE utterly baffling. I'm also having problems. Like the above poster I was frustrated that buttons could not be remapped if I selected my gamepad under "Game Ports". So I cleared the settings in game ports, now WinUAE will only let me select "none" or <Custom event> as a mapping, what gives? (see attached picture)

All I want to do is map the red button on my controller to "Escape" on the keyboard so that I don't have to get up and press escape to go back out of a menu in ATR, surely it doesn't need to be this complicated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winuae-confusion.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	27328  
Old 12 December 2010, 23:35   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

What happens if you try to remap keyboard keys? Are there more options?
Old 13 December 2010, 00:33   #18
MrX_Cuci

Anyone succesfully tried swapping disks using a pad? I can't seem to get it working. I thought "select disk image" would be a good idea to map to a button. Selection screen for disk appears, but obviously can't select anything because it's using explorer (I guess) There must be an easy way...I have seen a drop down box for files within a zip. Maybe someone can post their config file?
Old 13 December 2010, 00:40   #19
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Try the diskswapper mappings then.
Old 13 December 2010, 10:39   #20
MrX_Cuci

That doesn't work for me either. At least not that I know of. You can't see what it is doing.