English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 08 November 2023, 17:39   #21
paraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
Does the game support RTG?
No, see first post :P

Probably wouldn't be too hard, but my motivation for doing it is quite low since I don't have any RTG HW, and given that it's 50fps on pistorm32 my original goal was achieved. Maybe I'll spend some time optimizing it a bit more for my own 060, and maybe I'll look into the RTG thing if nothing more fun comes up. I don't really care about this game TBH :P

Nothing's stopping anyone else from stepping up to the plate tough!
Old 08 November 2023, 18:12   #22
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
No, see first post :P

Probably wouldn't be too hard, but my motivation for doing it is quite low since I don't have any RTG HW, and given that it's 50fps on pistorm32 my original goal was achieved. Maybe I'll spend some time optimizing it a bit more for my own 060, and maybe I'll look into the RTG thing if nothing more fun comes up. I don't really care about this game TBH :P

Nothing's stopping anyone else from stepping up to the plate tough!
I don't even have time for TKG at the moment and I was right in the middle of something last time.
Old 08 November 2023, 18:30   #23
paraj

Quote:
I don't even have time for TKG at the moment and I was right in the middle of something last time.
Wasn't expecting you to do it. Was thinking of people who have some kind of attachment to game (remembering it fondly or w/e). If it's more, as I suspect, a matter of a couple of people playing this back in the day and wishing they could play it with a better frame rate, that's already been accomplished, and it can be left at that. I'd rather look at something else or help a bit with TKG than spend a lot of time revamping Breathless (a game I have zero connection with).
Old 08 November 2023, 19:02   #24
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Wasn't expecting you to do it.
I mean.... if there were another 24 hours in my day I might have a crack at it

Quote:
Was thinking of people who have some kind of attachment to game (remembering it fondly or w/e). If it's more, as I suspect, a matter of a couple of people playing this back in the day and wishing they could play it with a better frame rate, that's already been accomplished, and it can be left at that. I'd rather look at something else or help a bit with TKG than spend a lot of time revamping Breathless (a game I have zero connection with).
I rather like the idea that these old titles are able to be revamped. There's a guy that posts here that's already made a very accomplished raycaster (RGB/HAM8, shadowmapped, etc) that might be interested.
Old 08 November 2023, 19:57   #25
d4rk3lf

Sorry for off topic...

I was never much into this early 3D games (looked pretty ugly to me), but when I started Breathless for the first time on my vanilla A1200, I was like "what the heck.. this looks amazing"!
I moved around for a few seconds, then gone to the options, to lower the details (because I was sure it was in 100%).. lol.. it was not... wait... so I can get even more detail? Let's go for it!
Holy crap.. this looks so good that you barely can't even see pixels on the textures, when you're one meter away from wall.
Yup, I got like 3-5 seconds per frame in full res, full details, but it was so clean and nice looking, that I was hooked in further experimenting.
So I spent hours trying to figure out the best combo of screen res (on my very big CRT TV), and details, that will run on my vanilla A1200.
Yes, I killed couples of enemies and run through the rest of the level (when I saw open area, that was another wow), but mainly, my "gameplay" was switching res, changing details and size of the screen.
So much fun!

Unfortunately, gameplay was not that awesome (but we all know that), unlike AB3D, or Gloom, but still.. I kudos to programmers, and what they did with the hardware they had.. full respect!

Oh.. and I very liked that title menu.
Old 08 November 2023, 20:07   #26
pipper

Quote:
Is it moddable? I imagine lots of grey and was chosen to make the shading easier to do. I felt like TKG has the same problem. The same 3 big metal tile textures are used over and over and over and over and over...

Yes, an editor came with it - written in C. The sources are included with the Breathless source and it is buildable.
Old 08 November 2023, 20:14   #27
pipper

WRT RTG: there are comments in the source indicating that they planned or tried to do an RTG version. It shouldn’t be that hard. The only obstacle is the ingame menu rendering. It is using 64pixel wide sprites to achieve the overlay effect. For RTG one would have to either change the menu renderer to render straight into the chunky buffer or just compose the offscreen sprite images into the RTG image…
Old 08 November 2023, 20:49   #28
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
Yes, an editor came with it - written in C. The sources are included with the Breathless source and it is buildable.
Were any mods ever built? Maybe there are some less grey ones. Being a varying height raycaster, the engine might be good for dungon crawler type games.
Old 08 November 2023, 21:57   #29
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Great results, really can see the difference side by side.
Old 08 November 2023, 23:37   #30
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Great results, really can see the difference side by side.
You should see it on a PiStorm. It went from about 17 fps to 50 with no bother at all.
Old 09 November 2023, 06:30   #31
Evillord68

Thanks a lot, great work.
Old 09 November 2023, 14:08   #32
kalu666

awesome thanks! very nice work, with mouse would be perfect.
Old 09 November 2023, 14:46   #33
utri007
mä vaan

Quote:
Prompted by a request from Dunny to make Breathless run faster on pistorm, I've picked up the torch from pipper (https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=103741) and replaced the C2P routines with more modern ones (from Kalms) done a few bugfixes etc.

Much better, thanks! This neededs to be started from shell?
Old 09 November 2023, 15:26   #34
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
This neededs to be started from shell?
Looks like I need my Amiga Owner badge revoking, too, how do we get it to run?
Old 09 November 2023, 16:25   #35
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Much better, thanks! This neededs to be started from shell?
Will run from WB no problem.
Old 09 November 2023, 17:46   #36
paraj

Doesn't work when started from an icon though, but I've fixed that locally (will get included next time I do a "release").

To run it, unzip it somewhere, open a shell, cd to the directory where you unpacked it, run "protect <exe> +E" (only needs to be done once) and then "<exe>" where "<exe>" is one of Breathless, BreathlessLC060 or Breathless060
Old 09 November 2023, 20:55   #37
paraj

Quick attempt at "mouse look". Just want to know if it works OK. (Note: this is dev build so some screens are skipped). You also need to switch to "Mouse controls" in the control menu to enable it (or mouse stuff in general).

Last edited by paraj; 11 November 2023 at 13:53. Reason: Newer executable available
Old 09 November 2023, 20:58   #38
redblade
Zone Friend

Because this game is OS friendly and uses intuition.library to open a screen and set the buffer, is it easy to allow different screen resolutions 320x200 or 320x240 (31 kHZ/NTSC) resolutions?

I remember the original is forced to PAL and I use 31 kHZ now on my A1200.

I really like the game, it could have been used as an easy base for Alien VS Predator as it was rather flat like Wolfenstein 3D and the aliens did not have 8 degrees of freedom or maybe a simple dark forces clone.

The main annoyance with me was the look up and down, I found that a bit hard to get used to but it was a excellent game.

As for not having 060 support at the beginning I guess the devs didn't have the $$ (Euros) to buy the 060 accelerator when it first came out as it would have been expensive and they would have been students.
Old 09 November 2023, 21:02   #39
paraj

Game is mostly OS friendly expect for the panel at the bottom of the screen (and 2x2 modes).
Old 09 November 2023, 21:14   #40
abu_the_monkey

Quote:
Quick attempt at "mouse look". Just want to know if it works OK. (Note: this is dev build so some screens are skipped). You also need to switch to "Mouse controls" in the control menu to enable it (or mouse stuff in general).
mouse look is working for me in winuae

top stuff