English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 November 2016, 20:48   #1
DopPie
Zone Friend

Rys mk2 adapter mouse speed

Hi,

I have a Rys MK2 USB adapter and hooked up a mouse. It is way too fast for my liking. I tried to change the speed as the instructions say with the bootloader button + left/right mouse button. But nothing happens.

Has anyone managed to change the mouse speed on this adapter?

Thanks!
Old 17 November 2016, 12:20   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I managed to slow it down a bit. Did your adapter light blink as you pressed the L/R mouse buttons?
Old 17 November 2016, 13:19   #3
cmsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopPie View Post
Hi,

I have a Rys MK2 USB adapter and hooked up a mouse. It is way too fast for my liking. I tried to change the speed as the instructions say with the bootloader button + left/right mouse button. But nothing happens.

Has anyone managed to change the mouse speed on this adapter?

Thanks!
Those instructions are wrong, you press the wheel button on the mouse and move the mouse left or right until the LED flashes. Left for slower, Right for faster, AFAIR.
Old 17 November 2016, 18:07   #4
DopPie
Zone Friend

Pressing bootloader sometimes flashes the LED.
But changing the tracking is not working. I tried to involve the scroll wheel too. That sometimes reduces the speed but than the pointer becomes unstable to a degree you cant make a diagonal line. When trying that in dpaint it looks more like a line drawn by a very nervous person.

So I have found two modes; way too fast and way too nervous.

Really disappointed by this piece of kit right now.
Useless! Hopefully I get this sorted out
Old 17 November 2016, 18:21   #5
robinsonb5

Have you tried using FreeWheel to reduce the mouse speed? I can't remember offhand how low it will let you take the speed, but I can build a version that will go slower easily enough.
It won't solve overflow problems (where if you move the mouse too fast it skips backwards) but it should solve your "nervous drawing" problem.
Old 17 November 2016, 19:01   #6
DopPie
Zone Friend

Ok, I got it working somehow. The LEDs now never blink anymore. I don't understand a thing about this adapter. But the last time I did get the LEDs to blink I probably got the right setting by accident.

It was still a bit too fast but by setting the mouse to the slowest at the prefs makes workbench controllable. Sadly, Wolf3d AGA, that was way too sensitive with the original mouse, now is completely uncontrollable even with sensitivity at its slowest :-(
(I hope that will be patched someday)

So, If anyone can tell me how this should be set it would be very much appreciated.
Old 19 November 2016, 08:12   #7
DopPie
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
Have you tried using FreeWheel to reduce the mouse speed? I can't remember offhand how low it will let you take the speed, but I can build a version that will go slower easily enough.
It won't solve overflow problems (where if you move the mouse too fast it skips backwards) but it should solve your "nervous drawing" problem.
I tried The freewheel but it does not seem to do much. I just seem to have to modes. What is the exact procedure to do this?

It would be great to have the freewheel adjusting the speed.

Edit:My procedure is
1. Bootloader button pressed
2. Left/Right Button pressed. (whichever results in a blinking LED)
3. Scrollwheel up/downwards until blinking stops
4. Left/Right button released.

Result.
When left button was used: too fast
When right button was used; slow and nervous

As it seems when the left button was used the next time the right button must be used to get some blinking going.
It feels like a mode switch. This means the device only has two modes.

Two mice were tried (a dell and a logitec) both have the same behavior with the adapter.

If you could have a look in the source code how this is supposed to work?
I'd be happy to get a firmware update cable and experiment with this to improve things.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1572 met Tapatalk

Last edited by DopPie; 19 November 2016 at 08:32.
Old 19 November 2016, 12:04   #8
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I've even tried not pressing the bootloader button and just press the third mouse button and move the mouse to the right. Result; very slow mouse speed and didn't always work.
Old 19 November 2016, 18:34   #9
robinsonb5

Quote:
I tried The freewheel but it does not seem to do much. I just seem to have to modes. What is the exact procedure to do this?

It would be great to have the freewheel adjusting the speed.
Run FreeWheel, then either press Ctrl-Alt-F or run it a second time to show its user interface. You should then be able to adjust the mouse speed down as far as 33%.
Old 19 November 2016, 21:05   #10
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Also, please install the latest firmware (instructions are on the official RYś site), the sensitivity has been enhanced in latest firmware revisions.

I used the Ryś MKII with a very high sensitivity mouse and was able to adjust the Ryś to behave almost normally.

Note that the fault does not lie with the Ryś but with the Amiga which cannot keep up with the mouse counters increased speed.

Finally, using FreeWheel will only work for games which do not take over the system. If a game peeks at the mouse hardware counters by itself instead of using the OS functions, then the settings set using FreeWheel will have no effect on that particular game.
There again, it is not the Ryś's fault but the game's.
Old 20 November 2016, 10:16   #11
DopPie
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Also, please install the latest firmware (instructions are on the official RYś site), the sensitivity has been enhanced in latest firmware revisions.
Well, I just bought the thing and I hope it comes with the latest firmware.
I don't have a cable for updating it so I should look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
There again, it is not the Ryś's fault but the game's.
On this I strongly disagree. Freewheel is a workaround for a problem with the Rys adapter. Something that is a proper adapter should work with all software no matter what. Since it doesn't, it is currently useless to me and I sadly had to revert back to my ball mouse.

I'm disappointed in the product and I feel like I have tossed 30 euros in the bin.
Old 20 November 2016, 10:39   #12
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
...it is currently useless to me and I sadly had to revert back to my ball mouse.

I'm disappointed in the product and I feel like I have tossed 30 euros in the bin.
This won't help your problems with the adaptor, and it won't get you your money back, but it is infinitely better than using a ball mouse.

Amigakit sell optical mice for classic amiga for under 30 euro's, mine works great.
Old 20 November 2016, 10:49   #13
DopPie
Zone Friend

Thanks, I'll get over loosing the money. I will keep an eye on that mouse. It just might be what I'm looking for.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1572 met Tapatalk
Old 24 November 2016, 12:43   #14
Mr-Z

I also have a RYS MK2 mouse adapter but reverted to my topolino, i also had problems with freewheel (the whole thing went haywire on me) the scroll wheel did not work with a simple usb 3 button mouse and on my logitech wireless mouse it did not work at all.
So reverted to topolino and all worked including the wireless logitech mouse.

I never tried again by updating the firmware maybe i should and give it a new try.