English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 September 2018, 13:24   #1
VresiBerba

Is there a default keyboard layout?

Thinking of getting rid of my Swedish layout because it bothers me that it more than often isn't a layout loaded and/or not supported by the software.

1. So if no layout has been loaded, which layout is used?

2. If a Swedish layout has been loaded, say in a Workbench environment, is it being used globally and most importantly, in WHDload games?
Old 21 September 2018, 13:28   #2
Jope
-

USA is the default layout.

WHDLoad games couldn't care less about your WB keymap. They default to whatever the programmer wanted. Usually something USA-esque. Some german games insist on qwertz.
Old 21 September 2018, 15:33   #3
Photon

Jope said it all, just a tip: You can make your own keymap with SetKey. A truly powerful tool.

I've made my own with some programming strings on the F-keys, etc. Very handy! But the normal keys are US layout. It's just my preference, I have US layout on my PC and Mac keyboards as well. Also because of programming. No more "slightly different combos".
Old 21 September 2018, 15:45   #4
VresiBerba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Jope said it all, just a tip: You can make your own keymap with SetKey. A truly powerful tool.
Yeah, I know, I used it a lot in the 80's to make my own util disks. I just wanted to get rid of the actual Swedish keys on my keyboard as I rarely, if not to say never, use those characters on an Amiga and want to have the actual characters appear on-screen when I press the corresponding key

I just bought a set of UK key caps and I suppose that'll have to do until I can get a set of US, but then again it's only three keys differing, I think; '"' instead of '@', '#' instead of '£' and their combination next to the 'enter' key.
Old 21 September 2018, 19:11   #5
Photon

Yeah I used to put vinyl stickers from eBay (fits both Amiga and PC) on the keys that differ. Nowadays I've apparently stopped bothering and just set US keymap

If you swap keyboard outright tho, check for misshapen Enter keys and missing ISO keys. But I think only the A1000 and maybe some other detachable keyboards differ?
Old 23 September 2018, 23:04   #6
Clad

I'm the same, I can't type properly on a french keyboard even though I don't own a single non-azerty keyboard. I am just so used to qwerty that I don't need the keys to be labeled properly, so I don't bother with stickers or anything.

At least on the Amiga it's either easy to switch to qwerty, or you can't customise it but it default do qwerty anyway.

The only exception was a swiss text editor I had to use on someone else's Amiga once. It used a weird "qwertz" layout.

I still write my mail with a typewriter, and it's azerty. I make mistake all the time, and there is no such thing as a "delete" key on these. (also, no "@", which is annoying because I often have to type email adresses)