English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 May 2018, 13:04   #1
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Installed 4GB CF Card into newly Arrived 1200 :-) Need Help with WB Install Please

I Have Finally got the A1200 I have been Going on and on about in other Posts, Had to Replace the Floppy with a Gotek the Day I got it as the FDD made a Horrible Grind noise and Wouldn't Read Disks. My 4GB CF Card and Adapter Showed up this Morning So I Have fit that. I got a Floppy Disk with it Called OS Install which is A Install Helper but I Can't use it due to No Floppy lol. I have Purchased the Workbenches I need from Amiga Forever Via download and all of the Disks needed For WB 3.1 are on the USB ready to go but at the Moment I am Quite Scared to switch the Machine Back on until I 100% Know what to do, and another Question is once WB is installed on to the Drive does it automatically boot From Drive? and if so how do I Enter the Gotek Emulator Menu if I need it?

Another Noob Question I Just Wanna Be Sure

Thanks
Old 03 May 2018, 13:43   #2
Daedalus

If you have the floppy images for the Workbench install disk, you should be able to boot from that with the Gotek and install from there. If the CF card needs to be partitioned, you can do that with HDToolbox on the Install floppy. I recommend a small (maybe 250MB) partition for a Workbench partition and the rest for everything else. You shouldn't do any harm turning the machine on again, provided everything is electrically connected correctly. Worst case scenario you just have to wipe the CF card and start again.

Once installed, you "eject" the disk image from the Gotek and the machine will boot from the CF card. To use the Gotek again, just select a bootable floppy image and reboot the machine - the Amiga automatically tries the floppy drive before booting the hard drive. If needed, you can also disable the hard drive using the early startup menu, accessed by holding down both mouse buttons at the start of the boot process.
Old 03 May 2018, 13:46   #3
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

I just Switched the Machine on to give it a Go and it is just wanting to Read Straight From the HDD now and not letting me enter my Gotek to Setup the Installation :-( Am I doing Something Wrong already .

Screen just stays Black and Flickers Blue as it Tries to Boot From HDD with no Images to Read on there yet

I am such a NOOB

Thanks
Old 03 May 2018, 14:03   #4
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

I have just Opened it back up Should I have the Jumper Set to Master or Slave? Could that be Conflicting the Gotek and HDD? It's Currently Set to Master

Cheers
Old 03 May 2018, 14:42   #5
Daedalus

Hmmm... flickering blue isn't a normal part of the boot process. It should either go to a purple insert disk screen if no disks are found, or an AmigaDOS prompt on a grey background with a blue border if there's a bootable device without startup scripts. The Gotek shouldn't interfere at all since it behaves just like a floppy drive - once it's reporting that the drive is empty, the machine should just carry on with the boot process. You could try disconnecting the Gotek altogether and seeing what happens to be sure that it's not causing problems...
Old 03 May 2018, 15:01   #6
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

I didn't have the Ribbon Cable to the Adapter Pushed on all the Way

Install was Successful and I rebooted the System but the Problem I now Face is that it Just Wants to boot Straight into the FF Emulator on the Gotek instead of HDD with WB3.1 Installed. Do I Remove the AUTOBOOT.HFE From the Gotek so that I Manually Choose it in WORKBENCH or is there a Option to Correct this?

Cheers
Old 03 May 2018, 15:06   #7
Jope
-

You need to eject the disk in the gotek. Press both buttons or remove the pendrive or something. I'm sure the documentation for your chosen firmware will be of help.
Old 03 May 2018, 15:25   #8
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Thumbs up

I love this Website and All of the Member on it you Haven't Failed me yet, All set up and Running a Treat
Old 03 May 2018, 15:35   #9
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm1991 View Post
the FDD made a Horrible Grind noise and Wouldn't Read Disks.
You can probably fix this by adding a drop of oil to the rail on which the drive head slides on. It's a good idea to apply a tiny bit of thin oil to a q-tip, then spread it to the rail using that.

Last edited by Jope; 03 May 2018 at 16:43.
Old 03 May 2018, 15:59   #10
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Will try that thank you
Old 03 May 2018, 17:15   #11
Amiga1992

Quote:
the FDD made a Horrible Grind noise and Wouldn't Read Disks.
This must be some moldy disks making the drive whine like a pig at a slaughterhouse. Did it happen as soon as you inserted a disk?
If so, your disks are probably moldy and need cleaning, and now your drive is moldy too after putting in moldy disks and will need cleaning too. There are cleaning kits online for both.

It's funny how people usually blame the drive when disks can't be read, when more often than most it is the disks that are the problem! Remember disks are so freaking old that things like mold and bit-rot are very common nowadays.
I rarely found a disk drive that doesn't work, they are sturdy pieces of kit.
Old 03 May 2018, 18:23   #12
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

I honestly think it was Over Pressure on the Screw or like you say there's Mould, I'd say in the Drive, I check Each Disk as I buy them for that Reason but thank you for your Input as to be Honest I thought that Drives don't fail often it is usually just to being sat unused for ages in a damp environment not being maintained how it should. I never had a FDD Fail on my Old Dos Machines. Judging by it though when I got it to the Disk had been in there since it was put away. I managed to get the Grinding to stop when I took the Screws out and the Keyboard Cover off of the tops just couldn't get it to read a Disk. Am also quite Worried that if I take the Drive Apart to Clean that I will knock the Alignment or something out, is it quite easy or is it more for the Extremely Advanced?

Cheers
Old 03 May 2018, 19:59   #13
seuden
uber cool demi god

Glad you got this fixed in the end and I must say the real reason for me posting was to say that I really admire your enthusiasm. Have fun with your new machine.
Old 03 May 2018, 20:05   #14
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Thumbs up

Thank you Very Much I Genuinely though I was Annoying Everybody with my Enthusiasm haha
Old 03 May 2018, 20:05   #15
Amiga1992

Quote:
Am also quite Worried that if I take the Drive Apart to Clean that I will knock the Alignment or something out, is it quite easy or is it more for the Extremely Advanced?
You don't need to open it up, just get a floppy cleaning kit from ebay like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Floppy-...m/192435965993
Old 03 May 2018, 20:09   #16
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

cool will give this a go.