Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 13 March 2002, 18:36   #1
Technician Ted

ZX Spectrum or Commadore Amiga?

Which one did you own/like best?

Old 13 March 2002, 18:38   #2
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I owned a C64 then an Amiga500. I had a spectrum briefly but thought it was crap so exchanged it for the 64.
Old 13 March 2002, 18:50   #3
Zeewolf

What the Spectrum CRAP!!

It was an absolute Classic!!!

Games like Chaos!! Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner, Pssst!! Sabre Wulf, Head Over Heels, Jet Pac!!

Pure Classics, though the C64 was just as good!!

Speccy, C64 & the Amiga were the only things I lived for as a youngster!! I hated the invention of consoles!!

Old 13 March 2002, 18:55   #4
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeewolf
Speccy, C64 & the Amiga were the only things I lived for as a youngster!! I hated the invention of consoles!!
Not to forget the Amstrad CPC´s Anyway, I never owned a Speccy, just saw it at a friends home and found out, that MY BELOVED Amstrad was far superior
Old 13 March 2002, 19:08   #5
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

HeHe
Sorry for bashing your beloved Speccy, maybe I just never had it long enough. The main reason I took it back was only about 1 in 5 games would actually load!! on the machine I had anyway.
Old 13 March 2002, 19:18   #6
Zeewolf

Barbarian was the main reason I ended up by a C64, what was better than chopping off the opponents head!! whoops that sounds a bit sick!! LMAO

Ive still got my C64 in the loft boxed up, I may have to get it out soon & relive the memories of the C64, nah!!

The Amiga will always come 1st in MOH?

Amiga, Speccy & then the C64!! in that order, ive never really liked anything else since these 3!!

Long live Sinclair & Commodore!!

Old 13 March 2002, 19:38   #7
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeewolf
Damn! Now I REALLY feel ancient. Just for the sake of accuracy, "consoles" in one form or another predate the arrival of any type of home computer by a considerable margin. If you go all the way back to the time when the "Pong" craze first led to the development of video games for the home that often had nothing more than one or two variations on Pong, then "consoles" have been with us for a loooong time now.
Old 13 March 2002, 19:41   #8
Zeewolf

LMAO i should have said I h8 modern consoles such as Sega, Sony, Nintendo, etc!!

I loved Pong, Space invaders was amazing, my dad owned an arcade so I grew up around them!! Phoenix was my all time fave arcade machine!

Old 13 March 2002, 20:45   #9
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
Amstard CPC464 Easy

I had a Spectrum, Amiga and an Amstrad CPC464 to me the Amiga was alot more enjoyable than the spectrum but for some reason my little Amstrad CPC464 was my "HOLY GRAIL" of computers I still have it I still play it, (although waiting for those damn tapes to load is a pain) however to me it was and always will be THE BEST
Old 13 March 2002, 20:50   #10
Djay
95th User

this isn't a great comparsion....

the spectrum was 8-bit and the Amiga 16-bit

i like saying what betters a Psone or Ps2....

but a in fairer comparsion...

i prefer c64 over spectrum
i prefer Amiga over atari
i prefer chips over cabbage
Old 13 March 2002, 21:11   #11
jmmijo

I never owned one of these either so as a side note, was the ZX better before or after they were purchased by Timex?

Could they indeed take a licking and keep on ticking?

I do remember the color comps as well at a local store that sold electronics, kinda like Circuit City does now a days. I think I remember the orignal small little unit with the membrane keyboard the most
Old 13 March 2002, 23:36   #12
Drake1009

I never had a Spectrum so all I know about Spectrum would be the Spectrum emulator I had for my C64 and the program examples I made in it.

It seemed like a good system to work with. My father found one along with some sort of very small disk looking thingies. Unfortunately the spectrum didn't work as apparently one of the chips had burned out (probably why it had been binned), he did a good bit to find a replacement though.
Old 14 March 2002, 00:11   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, of course, if it weren't for emulation, us yanks would never know about some of these systems. The first stable emulations I used on my Amiga were Spectrum and the Apple II (which I guess you Europeans probably didn't see much of either). Seems as if the line was draw region-wise in the 8-bit computer days. While the Speccy has some nice games, the Amstrad games look 100% better. Very often, they even look better than the C64 games (but it depends on the game). The C64, however, was a phenomenon on both shores (heck, probably everywhere!)
Old 14 March 2002, 07:05   #14
Drake1009

I thought there was something strange about the amstrad graphics. It looked a bit more colorful but somehow sometimes the colors looked out of place. The sound on the Amstrad wasn't too great compared to my C64 either.
Old 14 March 2002, 16:51   #15
Amiga1992

Sorry, I don't know what a Commadore is...

I started with a C128. I never knew of Spectrums until a few years ago. I think they are mostly POOP, BUT they have strong points and nice things. That's why I bought a Spectrum +3

I jumped from the C128 to the Amiga. I always laughed at the poor Beamers' expense. First my C128 could crush their XTs anyday, and then my Amiga just pissed over their heads from high above.

Every person I know that started hs steps on computing with an IBM compatioble, I call a 'sad kid'... They never knew the joy and fun of home computers...
Old 14 March 2002, 19:11   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

LOL! How true, Akira. And the really sad part is that they don't even know this. Completely oblivious. But it's not unfixable.

Like with music, there was some great stuff that was popular before I was alive. Take Buddy Holly, for example. Yet I almost feel like I lived through it because I made myself do my homework. And thus, when I was teaching guitar to one of my young students, I sat him down to watch "The Buddy Holly Story" and now this little kid's hero is Buddy Holly. He has tons of CD's and collectibles of Holly, plus he educates his school pals on the subject.

We just can't let our cultural heritage be wisked away into oblivion. I don't live in the past, nor do I condone it. But that doesn't mean I will accept rubbish just because it's new or modern. Good is good, shit is shit.
Old 15 March 2002, 04:53   #17
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I used to hate a LOT the Speccy, because I had an MSX, a much superior 8-bits machine, but with the same CPU (the Z80) , and some lazy european (mainly spanish) softcos just made direct ports of ZX spectrum games to msx, without making use of the superior MSX video capabilities (Think about Atari ST games on amiga, just worse... MUCH worse).

But to be quite honest, I think the speccy has some pretty good games, although most of them are avalaible in other 8-bits machines (C64 and CPC Amstrad) with better gfx... (That's other thing that annoys me.. the C64 and the CPC versions of those games always had better gfx, matching their machines, and the MSX versions always had ZX Spectrum gfx... )
Old 15 March 2002, 11:33   #18
nokia3310e

Well, I've had a few Sinclair computer in the past, still got a ZX81 and ZX Spectrum +2 now (with 2 carrier bags full of speccy games). I did enjoy the Spectrum and playing classics like Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner, Monty Mole series, any game by Ulimate (Gunfright, Sabre Wulf, Alien 8) etc. I never really played much on an Amiga, apart from the CD32. I had Oscar & Diggers, Labyrinth of Time, James Pond 2 etc. and enjoyed them games (wish I hadn't sold my CD32 now ). The only C64 game I remember playing was Pakacuda (or something like that).

Old 15 March 2002, 11:36   #19
Fissuras
Old Luny

ZX81 - THE FUN WITHIN

C'mon guys... Why all this babble about the Spec or the C64???
Everybody knows that... there can be only one!!!!!!!!
And the one is... the first, the only, the unique, the mighty ZX80/81 !!!!!!!!!

2K ram (or 16K), and an ultra-high-b&w resolution: 64x28 or something like that, pure no-sound engine... wow!!!!!!

No other system had games as Mazogs, Midway, Catacombs, Night Raid, only to name a few...

And there was nothing that could match "Black Crystal". 7 tapes, a whole 100kb of adventuring in such a small machine... At that time, there was no other game like that...

It is a shame that the games I remember playing in my Zx81 are not available anywhere, there are only a few on the Net... mostly at Funet...

Black Crystal was fantastic... and is no longer available... There is a Spectrum version but... doesn't feel the same... it has colours, blargh.

I say, those of you who started computer gaming in an era that games were colourfull, and even had some kind of noise coming from the speakers, you don't know the true nature of pure, pure, 100% gaming pleasure...

C'mon on, if a game has no colour, no sound, and no graphics... what else could it have? LOTS OF FUN WITHIN!!!
Old 15 March 2002, 11:45   #20
nokia3310e

The first computer game I ever played was 1k Breakout by JKGreye Software on the ZX81.