English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 March 2012, 15:20   #1
fishyfish
Banned

A Couple Of Winuae Questions.

Just a few qusestions if anyone can answer please.

Firstly, Im not really a fan of non pixel exact ratios, or scaling/filtering. I have an old 22 inch crt Sony Trinitron that Im quite fond of that is pretty flexible in terms of screenmodes it can generate. With my amithlon/os3.9 box I have a few dozen p96 screenmodes Ive created to account for everything I use (rather than listing the resolutions themselves, I mean stuff for mame and its plethora of native game resolutions, sega master system emulation, megadrive, nes, pal, ntsc and/or inerlaced screenmodes., etc.). Not only does this give me 1:1 pixel results, but it helps quite a lot with speed (at least with amithlon, given its limited hardware acceleration).
I was wondering how winuae selects a screenmode? Hypothetically if I created all these custom screemodes under Windows, would Winuae use the exact screenmode when software under amiga os requires it, or would it instead just scale/filter a different screenmode? Given that uaegfx adds all screenmodes available to the host (I think) I assume it will use the exact mode when available?

2. I may have misread, but does Winuae now give direct memory access when it comes to fast ram, or does it still emulate the memory bus?

3. Can you run x86 binaries using big endian byte ordering (ala amithlon) under winuae? I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall that it is possible now?

4. Again, unless I misread, I recently discovered it's possible to define different winuae configs depending on the hardware the amiga side software requires? (ie. switch to minimal custom chipset emulation when RTG/ahi is in use, or enable cycle exact emulation plus vsync when a custom chipset game/demo is being used, and so on and so forth). Without restarting Winuae I mean. Is this possible, or did I misread? If so, can someone point me to some docs please?

It's 1am here, and Ive had a few beers, so please excuse any lack of articulation, but hopefully the basic jist of the questions is clear enough
Thanks in advance.
Old 23 March 2012, 15:32   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
4. Again, unless I misread, I recently discovered it's possible to define different winuae configs depending on the hardware the amiga side software requires? (ie. switch to minimal custom chipset emulation when RTG/ahi is in use, or enable cycle exact emulation plus vsync when a custom chipset game/demo is being used, and so on and so forth). Without restarting Winuae I mean. Is this possible, or did I misread? If so, can someone point me to some docs please?
There is a Amiga program called 'uae-configuration' that comes with WinUAE that lets you change the emulation settings from within the emulated Amiga. Have a look here for example : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58327 (WHDLoad specific, but you should get the idea).
Old 23 March 2012, 15:47   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

1: All Windows supported screens modes are available. 1:1 pixel mapping unless some scaling mode in RTG Expansion panel is enabled.

2: JIT Direct emulation mode accesses all ram directly (enabled by default)

3: There is some kind of support via external libraries but Amithlon-style direct support isn't supported. (Not really main point of an emulator)
Old 23 March 2012, 16:19   #4
fishyfish
Banned

Thanks.
In regards to resolutions, what happens with overscan with custom chipset software? If I created a 360x288 (for conversations sake), and I had no other screenmodes between 320x256 and 400x300 would it use that when a pal game that uses overscan in run, or would it fall back to 320x256 if that's closer (ie. when only a small amount of low res pal+overscan is used) ? If the latter is true, can it be forced to use the closest resolution that's slightly higher than the software requires?

As for UAE-Configuration, are all config options available, or just a subset?

Thanks again.
Old 23 March 2012, 16:42   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Thanks.
In regards to resolutions, what happens with overscan with custom chipset software? If I created a 360x288 (for conversations sake), and I had no other screenmodes between 320x256 and 400x300 would it use that when a pal game that uses overscan in run, or would it fall back to 320x256 if that's closer (ie. when only a small amount of low res pal+overscan is used) ? If the latter is true, can it be forced to use the closest resolution that's slightly higher than the software requires?
It uses whatever mode you selected. (Think about programs that have multiple resolutions or display modes at the same time!)

It is impossible to have generic "resolution" detection. (Scrolling is practially impossible to detect from overscan size change, this includes screen dragging, copper color stuff outside of bitplane area may or may not be part of display etc..)

Different overscan size is not different resolution from hardware point of view.

Quote:
As for UAE-Configuration, are all config options available, or just a subset?
If it works on the fly when using GUI: it works with uae-configuration. (Note that it requires expanded configuration, basic compatible configurations naturally can't support uae-configuration)