English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 August 2004, 23:04   #1
Macca
Zone Friend

REAL Amiga help needed...

Just managed to get OS 3.5 installed on my Amiga 1200 (3.1 ROMS came today - hurrah).

Anyway I have that on there and nothing much else - WHDLoad and IDEFix are installed. Anyway I extracted a WHDLoad game to test it and when ran (Xenon2 for those interested) I got the following message:

Error Display Initializing
Possible Reasons:

- Screen will be promoted
- PAL/NTSC/DBLPAL/DBLNTSC monitors not installed
- Not enough free store

Also I have an PCMCIA Ethernet related question. I have the device supposedly running using the Miami stack. When using the inbuilt web functions I can get to the router using the web browser but no where else - I'd love to be able to share my PC drives on it (shared them but the Amiga can't see them).

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Macca.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 11 August 2004, 23:47   #2
RetroMan

Does your PC is in the same IP range as the amiga is, for example 192.168.0.x ? Subnetmask correct ?
Old 12 August 2004, 00:11   #3
Macca
Zone Friend

Yeah subnet and gateway are both correct - I can load the routers page on my Amiga. However the router is 192.168.0.1 and the PC is 192.168.0.2 with the Amiga being 192.168.0.9

No idea where to start on this?

Old 12 August 2004, 15:32   #4
RetroMan

Can you ping the PC using his IP ?
Old 12 August 2004, 16:04   #5
Macca
Zone Friend

I can ping it from the PC.

I don't know how to use the commands on the Amiga side to be honest?

On the Amiga web browser (as I have said before) I can get to the Netgear router no problem (asks for username and password and logs me in).

I do this by typing:

However if I try my PC and share:

192.168.0.2/Docs/

Nothing happens. Just says it get to it.

If I browse my network from the PC and go to Eyetech (the group its under for some reason) it says I don't have permissions - unfortunately not sure how to give permissions?

Also concerned about the WHDLoad thing? Anyone have any ideas on that?
Old 12 August 2004, 16:07   #6
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

About the whdload...

you sure you've got PAL (or NTSC if you're not in EUR) in your devs/monitors drawer?

If not then you need to copy it from storage/monitors
Old 12 August 2004, 16:35   #7
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca
Also I have an PCMCIA Ethernet related question. I have the device supposedly running using the Miami stack. When using the inbuilt web functions I can get to the router using the web browser but no where else
In order to reach a web page on the internat you have to add you ISP's DNS address to Miami's database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca
- I'd love to be able to share my PC drives on it (shared them but the Amiga can't see them).
You need SMBFS or SMB-Connect for this. You won't be able to view the PC's drives in a web browser. They will rather be shown on the Workbench as usual hard drives.
http://de.aminet.net/aminetbin/find?smbfs
http://www.dmbsoft.de/smbconn.htm

If you also want to see your Amiga's drives on the PC, you have to install Samba. http://www.amigasamba.org/

The latter is also achieved by Amiga Explorer which is much faster and less resource hungry than Samba. http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/
Old 12 August 2004, 17:36   #8
Macca
Zone Friend

I thought about Amiga Explorer to be honest - what do I need to do on the Amiga's side to get this to run? Would prefer to get it to run with OS 3.1 as well if possible as I have got a modded HDF file I'd love to copy over.

Macca.
Old 12 August 2004, 18:16   #9
thomas

On the Amiga side you have to start the TCP/IP stack (Miami) and then run the AmigaExplorer program. Nothing more. This could even be done from Miami's online event.

On the PC side you have to install AmigaExplorer. You then have an icon on the desktop named "Amiga Computer". The first time you open it, you have to enter the IP address of the Amiga. After that you immediately see the Amiga's drive list. It's really easy.

Amiga Explorer offers you the Amiga's Kickstart ROM and ADFs/HDFs of the drives as well as the directories and files on the drives.

The only disadvantage is that you can access the Amiga drives only from the Windows Explorer. You can copy files from and to the window, but you cannot use it as a directory (e.g. directly use the Amiga disk drives as ADF in WinUAE, or use pictures from your Amiga in a paint program. You first have to copy the files to the PC before you can use them).
Old 12 August 2004, 23:11   #10
Macca
Zone Friend

I'm having great problems trying to get the TCP stack running.

I have OS 3.1 freshly installed - installed ClassACT demo and MUI 3.8 demo.

Then installed Miami demo - I can run the init program but then it says the cnet.device is already in use - so got the latest version of cnet.device and copied that over and still in use.

I don't suppose there's an easy to follow step by step guide for this - it's driving me mad!
AdSense AdSense