English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 12 February 2015, 14:40   #1
rikbliz

Is there a list of packages provided by CWB39

I've been trying to find this for a while now and having no luck.

Does anyone have a full 'feature list' or package list for the OS3x version of CWB?

I want to know exactly what software is being loaded/modified as part of CWB installation.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 February 2015, 23:07   #2
gulliver
BoingBagged

What for?

The art of Amiga distros is not really what you put inside, but how you do it, and the goals you try to achieve by doing so.

Anyway, you can grab a full install of ClassicWB and easily generate a list.
Old 13 February 2015, 00:05   #3
rikbliz

Because I want to know what is being installed. I'd rather pick the bits I actually need/want and install them manually one at a time - not least as a learning experience, but also to produce an environment I can maintain and update myself rather than be reliant on 3rd party updates. I want to know as an existing user of CWB wanting to expand my knowledge of classic Amiga OS.

I've been using CWB for ages, keen to know how you can "easily generate a list"...?
Old 13 February 2015, 13:21   #4
Tobibrocki

I too, would also like to know what exactly is installed in ClassicWB, from programs to librarys, I would like to have a complete list of all the custom components included.
Now, I'm not a user of ClassicWB really as I also like to install my own stuff rather than rely on someone else all the way, but I would like to use ClassicWB as a foundation as it does spare one quite some work, however ClassicWB is just a bit to "pre-installed" for my tastes, it's to complex since I don't know much about scrips and such, so I can't just reverse engineer what I don't like and safely remove it, a detailed documentation of how this thing is put together would probably make it a lot easier for someone that lacks knowledge like that to remove the individual components without messing things up.

I personally would really like to have a barebones ClassicWB Version, one that isn't littered with software like Scalos, Assign Scripts for Folders, Toolbars, Special Startup Scripts and more, stuff that I just don't have an idea of how it's put together and working and or the lightest clue on how to remove them.
I would like to have a "ClassicWB Simple Edition" that consists of stuff like all the librarys, datatypes, Classes, etc. that you could possibly need, a Option for MUI perhaps during the install script and smaller necessity's like for example a Graphical Unarchiver, a Text Editor, but none of the big ones that require heavy setups and deeper system integration, leave those to the user to decide, maybe include them as archives (Scalos, Copper-Demon, MagicWB Icons, etc., things that are less necessary and more subject to ones taste).
I think people that really like customizing every corner of their OS would appreciate a Distro that is just there to, well, get you up to speed immediately without having to spend hours on aminet looking for a specific version of library x y z, but so bare still that you have all the freedom to truly make it your own OS, just a basic platform/package to start you out on, that does not decide your experience for you.
But I guess most people just want everything in one package. =/

Sorry if this was a bit off-topic. ^^;
Old 13 February 2015, 13:25   #5
rikbliz

What he said.

I'm actually really surprised that the CWB website and docs don't seem to make any mention of "These are the things you get in this pack" :-(
Old 13 February 2015, 13:55   #6
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Same here, I really like some of the things that are present in CWB but I really don't need ALL that stuff

I tried Googling in the past with no results.

I'd like to look at a list for some "inspiration" to customize my own WB install
Old 13 February 2015, 13:58   #7
rikbliz

I'm glad I'm not the only one who would find this useful.

I wonder if the venerable Bloodwych will help us out with a list he may already happen to have ?

Plan B may have to be a general discussion thread about "useful software list for OS3.9" or similar.
Old 13 February 2015, 13:59   #8
gulliver
BoingBagged

Just grab the ClassicWB hdf file, without it being activated (I mean without activating it by installing workbench 3.1 files), and mount it under another working system. From the working system shell, go to the root dir of the ClassicWB hdf and issue "list all >filelist.txt" (without the ""). So there you will have a complete file listing in filelist.txt of what ClassicWB has. It would probably be more than a hundred packages and a thousand files. Then you would have to investigate what the author did with each file, and why he used the versions he did.

According to what you mentioned, if you like to learn how this distro works and would like to modify it to build your own, I highly suggest you think on the idea of building a new Amiga distro to share. It is rewarding and motivating, you will always learn something new, and some people other than you, will probably find it useful. Just focus on the main concepts of what you want to achieve, and go for it.

A word of warning though: It is a lot of work. Much more than you would have thought at first
Old 26 February 2015, 23:00   #9
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Almost everything you will find in ClassicWB you would be able to find online, but point is not in 'what is all in there', but how its organized and how it all works.

Main point Bloodwitch try to accomplished with packs is 'preserve as much as possible of chip memory' while adding lots of useful little programs.

Good start to install is Paul's guide, where he covers basics, now from there you have to add other stuff you can find in 'Programs' folder of ClassicWB.

This does not just require having access to those programs and knowing what to install and when, but also customization and as I said, preservation of chip memory.

This is equivalent to preserving as much of Ram as possible in old dos. Some people knew how to set it up and make it preserver 600 KB, while others wonder why their game did not work, even they had less stuff running on machine...
AdSense AdSense