English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 March 2011, 23:52   #1
Maren
Banned

Older problem with RSI Megademo

I'm still experiencing this previously reported issue, and if it's indeed something wrong in WinUAE, it's also present in the latest beta.

It's worth noting that the workaround is pretty straightforward, yet I can't help but think this is not the behavior of a real A500. You said you couldn't reproduce it, but I sent the demo to my cousin and he confirmed it's broken for him as well. I suppose it only happens in some computers? in any case, just wanted a second opinion, no big deal

I've attached fresh logs and a fresh savestate of the neverending loop, hopefully this time something will be revealed.

http://filesurf.ru/218987/RSI.uss.html

Regards.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (9.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (8.1 KB, 160 views)
Old 27 March 2011, 09:42   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Statefiles after the problem are usually useless.
What is "default" setting? Number of floppy drives?
Old 27 March 2011, 18:01   #3
Maren
Banned

What WinUAE defaults to first the time you run it, except for cycle-exact which I manually enable. Only DF0: is on.
Old 27 March 2011, 18:32   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Use of non-quickstart for A500 compatible configuration is not my problem.

You sure you don't have something in default.uae? It overrides "default" configuration. (which makes it bad idea to recommend because others may have totally different default.uae)
Old 27 March 2011, 18:37   #5
Maren
Banned

Nothing overriding anything as far as I can tell. All folders and configs and registry entries were removed prior to running WinUAE for the test.

So if something doesn't work with CE on, you don't care? CE is all I changed.
Old 27 March 2011, 18:41   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Only if quickstart mode most compatible is selected. Thats the only acceptable configuration. Thats the only configuration that MUST be always tested first. ALWAYS. (which works perfectly fine here)

Anything else + CE = bad idea. Including non-quickstart whatever default.
Old 27 March 2011, 18:52   #7
Maren
Banned

The quickstart profile WinUAE uses by default isn't even set to "best compatibility", that's why I have to enable CE! it works fine with CE off, which's the default setting.
Old 27 March 2011, 19:03   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It seems we were talking about two different things, "default" configuration for me means default non-quickstart configuration..

Anyway, demo still works fine here, at least first disk works normally. CRC=05adf013.

Selected most common, best A500 compatibility quickstart, selected disk image (only DF0: enabled), started emulation.

Best is not default because it requires lots of CPU power.
Old 27 March 2011, 19:22   #9
Maren
Banned

Yep, a misunderstanding it seems but just for the record, I always use those settings providing the best compatibility (accuracy) available no matter how much CPU's going to waste, even the collision level, which's said to be useless for pretty much everything, is permanently set to full. Granted if something doesn't work, it's not because I forgot to tweak WinUAE to be more compatible. Still, since you always want straight quickstart profiles (or what I referred to as "default settings") that's what I use for testing, and if something changed, like CE, I make sure to let you know.

I suppose this will remain a mystery for the time being, but thankfully there's a way to make it work so it's not really much of a problem.
Old 27 March 2011, 19:55   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Could you create 2 statefiles, one before disk boots (for example when screen turns light gray) and another few seconds after "Red Sector Inc - Megademo disk one" has disappeared?

EDIT: log with disk logging enabled should also help, boot normally, enter debugger (shift+f12), type "did 3<return>", "g<return>", quit when it hangs, attach winuaelogt.txt.