English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 13 November 2019, 13:06   #1
Pixelshift

CD32 expansion slot VGA

Hey there, i'm having some trouble figuring out how to get my CD32 to display video through my 7-bit expansion slot on a Benq BL702a screen. I've used the screen successfully with my A1200 and a RGB-VGA adapter. When I boot up the CD32 I can see the animated logo screen, but once the game has loaded the screen just goes blank. I can tell that the game is actually loaded because the sounds are playing.
Old 13 November 2019, 13:33   #2
Gordon
Settler

Make sure the expansion card is regnised by holding down the mouse buttons when turning on the CD32 and going to expansion diagnostics.
If its not, clean the contacts and try again.

Are you getting display using any other connection? If yes then we know your RGB chip is working fine.
Old 13 November 2019, 20:34   #3
Pixelshift

Hey, I tried to hold down the mouse buttons but then I am taken to a weird key&lock screen. I can't get any further from there. The strange thing is that the flashy cd32 intro screen is displayed as you'd expect and also the lock screen is shown flawlessly. So I guess there is nothing wrong with the VGA port on the expansion slot. Could it be some kind of NTSC vs PAL issue? I'm pretty sure the cd32 is PAL, but i'm not so sure about the game. It's the only game I have at the moment. :P
Old 22 April 2020, 08:02   #4
Pixelshift

A little update on this: turns out I have a NTSC CD32 which could explain the problems i'm having. I've managed to boot into workbench and from there confirm it. Apparently it is possible to convert it into a PAL machine by removing and adding components to the board. This requires soldering though. :/ Might as well recap while i'm at it.
Old 22 April 2020, 09:46   #5
jotd
This cat is no more

If you can reach boot menu, then you can switch to PAL by software. Or when booting the console on a hard disk / CF card, there are tons of programs to switch to PAL: insert one in the startup sequence instead of butchering your console, see if it works
Old 23 April 2020, 15:40   #6
Pixelshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
If you can reach boot menu, then you can switch to PAL by software. Or when booting the console on a hard disk / CF card, there are tons of programs to switch to PAL: insert one in the startup sequence instead of butchering your console, see if it works
Thanks, yeah I switched to PAL in the boot menu now. The game i'm trying to load from disc is still not showing (maybe the disc is bad?). But I am able to boot into workbench and run games via whdload. So i'm quite happy about that. The colors seem a bit off though. Bright and muted. Maybe that comes down to my monitor? It's a benq bl702a and seems to work flawlessly with my other amigas. I'm connecting it directly via the cd32 expansion slot which has a vga connector.
Old 23 April 2020, 15:54   #7
th4t1guy

Is the game Chaos Engine? If your expansion card has fast ram, it will break that game in the way described.
You may check to see if the card has a jumper that disables ram on it.
Old 23 April 2020, 17:05   #8
Pixelshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
Is the game Chaos Engine? If your expansion card has fast ram, it will break that game in the way described.
You may check to see if the card has a jumper that disables ram on it.
YES! It is. It's a wicher card, i'll check.