English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 August 2019, 13:37   #221
MartinW

I reckon I must be older than most of the users in this thread. By the time pretty much all of the games that are cropping up came into the arcades I'd discovered women and booze (amoung other things!) and stopped hanging out in the arcades so most of these games, while I know their names mean nothing to me.

I mentioned it in the "what next" thread but I'd like to see a RallyX port. It's from my era but if you look at the. version from the Namco Classics PCB it can be massively enhanced and well, I just think it's a great game. I owned one at one point (the full cab that is).
Old 20 August 2019, 13:46   #222
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
I mentioned it in the "what next" thread but I'd like to see a RallyX port. It's from my era but if you look at the. version from the Namco Classics PCB it can be massively enhanced and well, I just think it's a great game. I owned one at one point (the full cab that is).
For anyone that doesn't know, RallyX had a rat maze spinoff called Radar Rat Race on the C64. The game play was identical to RallyX despite the different graphics and background music (3 Blind Mice) on that cartridge game.
Old 20 August 2019, 13:48   #223
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
For anyone that doesn't know, RallyX had a rat maze spinoff called Radar Rat Race on the C64. The game play was identical to RallyX despite the different graphics and background music (3 Blind Mice) on that cartridge game.
Interesting! Given I have a MiSTer now I might check that out

I should point out that I'm not very knowledgable on the topic of what is and isn't out there for the Amiga so anything I suggest could easily already be done.
Old 20 August 2019, 15:53   #224
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
I reckon I must be older than most of the users in this thread. By the time pretty much all of the games that are cropping up came into the arcades I'd discovered women and booze (amoung other things!) and stopped hanging out in the arcades so most of these games, while I know their names mean nothing to me.
Haha, same. After 1990 I had other things to explore than the local arcade machines...
Old 20 August 2019, 18:41   #225
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
put a small beta of 2-button + music Dragonninja in the zone. Not perfect, but up is now 2nd button and it's easier to jump+move.

Only works with 1 version of the game ATM, and a lot of speed issues in the menu to fix too.. Currently reverse-engineering the game (controls). Possibly the game only misses 1 move: the kick when jumping. Great job.
Excellent, great work, I'll be trying this at the weekend
Old 20 August 2019, 19:13   #226
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
I mentioned it in the "what next" thread but I'd like to see a RallyX port
Rally X would be very easy to do on Amiga. I love the game (Well, "New Rally-X" which is the one I actually used to play.... I could even loop it). I had thought about how to do it, I just wish there was a machine that could read my brain and instantly spit out code I am thinking
Old 20 August 2019, 19:24   #227
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
put a small beta of 2-button + music Dragonninja in the zone. Not perfect, but up is now 2nd button and it's easier to jump+move.

Only works with 1 version of the game ATM, and a lot of speed issues in the menu to fix too.. Currently reverse-engineering the game (controls). Possibly the game only misses 1 move: the kick when jumping. Great job.
Just gave this a try.

I know it's a beta so there's more work required, but pressing the 2nd fire button to jump only works when standing still first. If you are moving and press the 2nd fire button you will punch up.

Totally get why though... in the original 1 button Amiga game, <left> / <right> and then <up> punches up. Separating the code must be quite a challenge.

Last edited by DamienD; 20 August 2019 at 19:30.
Old 20 August 2019, 20:28   #228
jotd
This cat is no more

Yes, I'm currently trying to separate "up" from "button 2". Currently this is not done. Requires some debugging. The game is worth "saving". A few hours work, tops.

But even with better controls, the game lacks a lot of features from the arcade. The dogs, a very short level 2 (probably because of the hard jump), very easy last boss (doesn't seem to hit back with his blade). Still good because they tried to retain original graphics & sounds & gameplay.
Old 20 August 2019, 20:54   #229
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Well, since we seem to be discussing stuff that could actually be made... there are 2 Konami games from the 90s which I like a lot and I think could work on Amiga:

Surprise Attack:
[ Show youtube player ]

This game was never ported to any home system and thus its kinda obscure. Gameplay wise it plays a bit like so many arcade platform games (Stuff like Rolling Thunder or Shinobi), but each level has some kind of nice touch or gimmick, and I find the game to be very fun and enjoyable.
This is a small jewel, loved it! And don't forget the SF trivia as bonus stage with blonde winking at you if you pass
Old 20 August 2019, 22:06   #230
lmimmfn

Quote:
Yes, I'm currently trying to separate "up" from "button 2". Currently this is not done. Requires some debugging. The game is worth "saving". A few hours work, tops.

But even with better controls, the game lacks a lot of features from the arcade. The dogs, a very short level 2 (probably because of the hard jump), very easy last boss (doesn't seem to hit back with his blade). Still good because they tried to retain original graphics & sounds & gameplay.
Its been a while but I'm nearly sure there are dogs in the 4th level in the forest along with the ninja on fire but yes I know these should be on the first level also.
I could be wrong though and can't check atm.

As a port I liked it warts and all.
Back in the day I nicked it from a computer store. It was a pirate copy that they were using to show off games on the Amiga along with some others and ST games. Don't judge I was only 13 lol.
Old 20 August 2019, 22:25   #231
vulture

Yes, I think I recall the dogs were there at some point. Iirc 1mb was required not just for the music, but also for extra enemy types
Old 20 August 2019, 22:34   #232
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
And you could play it as a loading game on Ridge Racer on the PSP. Loved playing this in the arcades so a port would be good...
Old 20 August 2019, 23:11   #233
DamienD
Banned

Another old school game that is quite cool and I loved back in the day was: Sea Fighter Poseidon

[ Show youtube player ]

Should be quite easy / fast to port to the Amiga.
Old 21 August 2019, 02:47   #234
invent
pixels

Castlevania - redone

Initially I was going to suggest porting Green Beret (but have crossed that off the list), easy to do and possibly reuse Rygar engine

But Castlevania port in 1990 by Konami as mentioned is terrible on the Amiga. So I took a few moments to create a mockup of a 32 colour version (no parallax)

Screen display based off the Sharp X68000, Reference sprites:
https://www.spriters-resource.com/sh...umajoudracula/

Could possibly reuse/rework Rygar engine? I did do a quick test of 16 colour foreground/8colour background, which works well for first level but future levels have alot more colour variation and personally would easily skip the parallax for more colour for this particular game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	X68000_Stage01_32colours.png
Views:	129
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	64171  
Old 21 August 2019, 04:16   #235
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post
Initially I was going to suggest porting Green Beret (but have crossed that off the list), easy to do and possibly reuse Rygar engine

But Castlevania port in 1990 by Konami as mentioned is terrible on the Amiga. So I took a few moments to create a mockup of a 32 colour version (no parallax)

Could possibly reuse/rework Rygar engine? I did do a quick test of 16 colour foreground/8colour background, which works well for first level but future levels have alot more colour variation and personally would easily skip the parallax for more colour for this particular game.
Later levels of the X68000 versions are *completely* different from the NES original. You can't use the X68k graphics to do a port of the original game.
Old 21 August 2019, 05:15   #236
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yep, the X68000 game is just a remake based of the NES version. With new levels (and redesigned old) and better graphics. The Playstation version (Castlevania Chronicles) is an even more advanced remake based on the X68000 game.
Old 21 August 2019, 05:26   #237
invent
pixels

Good point Shatterhand/Retro-Nerd, too many choices, at the time though the X68000 has all the sample screens/sprites i needed for mockup for the game "Akumajou Dracula"
Old 21 August 2019, 07:58   #238
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

@Invent: that looks really amazing! I wanna play that...
Old 21 August 2019, 10:06   #239
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent View Post

You have done a great work with the colours

Would love to play the X68000 game converted like this on the Amiga !
Old 21 August 2019, 11:21   #240
invent
pixels

Thanks Steril707 / malko and still room to improve, was a quick morning session seeing what it might look like and I had also thought of mcgeezers Rygar engine adapted. I know the thread is Arcade based but some great games on other systems such as neogeo/pc engine/ etc.