English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 January 2010, 16:31   #1
mfletcher
Bawbag.

Welp! I think I killed my A600 :(

Over the holidays I was back in Blighty visting my parents, and cleaning their loft out of all the crap I had stowed there over the years.

Ive got an A600 that I know was working last time I looked at it, about 18 months ago, but I think Ive killed it .

I made the mistake of plugging the PSU into the mains, and then connecting the power cord to the computer. When I did, there was a nice little bit of sparking. Afterwards when I tried to power up the computer nothing happened.

Now I dont know if the computer is screwed or the whether the psu is dead. Im not too bothered about losing the PSU, but have I totally screwed my A600? Is this something maybe JJB could fix? Anyone else made the same mistake as me?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 06 January 2010, 19:24   #2
Dougal

Ouch! That sucks.

Did you try using a digital multimeter to check if there is power to the board and if any traces got damaged?
Old 06 January 2010, 22:56   #3
tin

Funny, I got my A600s out of the loft yesterday, and did almost exactly the same thing to one of them (plugged the PSU to Amiga last)

However I think in my case at least it's the A600 has died while in the loft. The PSU has a fan that stops running when I plug in that A600, must be some kind of protection because it works again if I unplug from the mains for a bit (and of course it powers the other A600 fine)

One thing though, the act of plugging the PSU to the Amiga if it's already powered on isn't something that will kill it. Suppose you don't have another Mig around to test?
Old 11 January 2010, 05:56   #4
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin View Post
Funny, I got my A600s out of the loft yesterday, and did almost exactly the same thing to one of them (plugged the PSU to Amiga last)

However I think in my case at least it's the A600 has died while in the loft. The PSU has a fan that stops running when I plug in that A600, must be some kind of protection because it works again if I unplug from the mains for a bit (and of course it powers the other A600 fine)

One thing though, the act of plugging the PSU to the Amiga if it's already powered on isn't something that will kill it. Suppose you don't have another Mig around to test?
Sounds like a thermal strip in the supply, also sounds like the Miggy has a short circuit.

Paul
Old 11 January 2010, 22:04   #5
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Sounds like bad capacitors on the A600, check them or even replace them without testing.