English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 December 2007, 19:44   #21
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Massimo

when you get your a1200. let me know what Kickstart it is, and i will sort out a prepared hard disk / compact flash card with all the best music progs for you to just plug in , depending on size of harddisk / compact flash card I should be able to put aproximately 2GB of 16/8 samples and a fair few mods too

I would also recommend more memory, say 8MB of ram or preferably an 030 accelerator as this will really improve the performance of the A1200 hell i may even put in a few games...

It shouldn't be that expensive to sort out a hard disk / cf card (arround $60) tops and I dont mind preparing it for you

it could be made a little cheaper by using a 3.5inch hard disk drive but this would require some serious moding inside the a1200... i think a plug and play solution would be best

hit me up on the PM and i can help explain a bit more
Old 23 December 2007, 19:59   #22
PaulyQ

I am a staunch user of FL Studio for the PC. Very, Very good and has the advantage over a lot trackers(well Amiga based) in that you can use the keyboard as a keyboard and that you can add all sorts of weird and wacky synths (were the Amiga use samples) or even some the THE classic synths from times gone by (Mini Moog etc)

As for amiga trackers, I used to use both Octamed and ProTracker, both good at the time.
Old 23 December 2007, 20:34   #23
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Stick out tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyQ View Post
I am a staunch user of FL Studio for the PC. Very, Very good and has the advantage over a lot trackers(well Amiga based) in that you can use the keyboard as a keyboard
wtf

All trackers I've tried on the Amiga allowed you to use "the keyboard as a keyboard".
Old 23 December 2007, 20:44   #24
massimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sune Salminen View Post
wtf

All trackers I've tried on the Amiga allowed you to use "the keyboard as a keyboard".
This is the exact reason im wanting to get into the trackers, for the keyboard to keyboard function.
Old 23 December 2007, 21:00   #25
Sune Salminen
Dinamáquina

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
This is the exact reason im wanting to get into the trackers, for the keyboard to keyboard function.
If that's your primary reason, setting up an A1200 to make music seems like a lot of hassle!
There's software for the PC that'll let you use "the keyboard as a keyboard"* and work with any sequencing program that accepts MIDI input.

Here's one.. it's not free but I'm sure there are free ones out there.
http://www.midimass.com/page.php?nam..._keyboard_lite

*it's really hard to find something using google when a keyboard is not a keyboard.. or is a keyboard.. or whatever
Old 23 December 2007, 21:41   #26
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

even Ableton Live (an amazing bit of sequencing software btw) does keyboard-keyboard mapping.

Definately does on the mac version anyway
Old 23 December 2007, 22:00   #27
massimo

I know i have all those, im just wanting the retro feel.
Old 23 December 2007, 22:53   #28
PaulyQ

Quote:
wtf

Sorry, in my post I meant PC not Amiga for the keyboard thingy. Not that I'm bothered anyways have a Korg Dss1 synth and an Oxygen 8 MIDI keyboard to use. Kinnell... jump down me throat eh !!

Yes Ableton can do keyboard mapping (jeez - what can't it do? Fantastic proggy), but for ease of use I certainly suggest the easier learning curve of FL Studio (it is in some ways tracker'esque), build a sequence and then bung it into the playlist, build another sequence add it to the playlist when wanted etc... that's it at it's basic simplistic self.
Old 24 December 2007, 01:01   #29
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
I think ive made up my mind. Im gonna get ahold of a nice a1200, and use it souly for musical purposes, im gonna get some one to set everything up for me, and if any one could get me one of those floppys with the stuff on it, i would pay what ever you asked for it.
Why would you pay for some disks when you can copy the stuff you want onto them yourself?
Old 24 December 2007, 12:22   #30
woody57

Exclamation

Maybe some of the members here are missing the point of using a REAL Amiga with maximum 14 bit sound ....

In music you don't always want perfection when your working with certain genres or styles ...

A good "Dirt " sound is easier to achieve when you have such limitations also the a more realistic electronic sample based sound eg The early " Prodigy" form of music.

So if this is what Massimo is looking for then a A1200 is the way to go ...providing it has a reasonable amount of expanded memorey to handle the sampled bites