English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 17 November 2018, 12:27   #2001
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I see - I might have a play with Deficons if that's the case (I can see it on aminet) but the copy icon is a good idea.

I don't know why I thought Workbench could do this but there are work arounds it seems - thanks.
Old 17 November 2018, 17:36   #2002
NLS
Ancient User

You need DefIcons indeed.
Although I think I remember some commodity that handles extensions automatically.

Natively Amiga OS does not handle extensions the same way (MS) DOS does. It is not limited by the extension. There can very well be a "whatever.exe" that is actually an IFF picture.
Old 18 November 2018, 11:36   #2003
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

What are the chances that someone out there will develop an open source port of WB called OpenWB?
Old 18 November 2018, 12:30   #2004
idrougge

Is the name really that important?
Old 18 November 2018, 15:35   #2005
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I don't know why I thought Workbench could do this but there are work arounds it seems - thanks.
DefIcons is built into OS 3.9, so maybe you've seen that in action?
Old 18 November 2018, 15:44   #2006
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
I see - I might have a play with Deficons if that's the case (I can see it on aminet) but the copy icon is a good idea.

Which WB are we talking about here? 3.1 cannot do natively do what you ask, but 3.9 can.
Old 18 November 2018, 16:15   #2007
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Yep - you guys are right, I used 3.9 years ago but now I have a WB3.1 set up on WinUAE - gone backwards I guess but I like to add my own bits and bobs to 3.1
Old 19 November 2018, 02:57   #2008
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Here's a question...

I thought I would use "ExtractHere" from Daedalus's website - great little piece of useful software.

SO, how do I create a default icon which will instruct my Amiga to use ExtractHere every time I double click on an icon that has the extension .lha
There is Associate from Aminet. It puts an icon on the Workbench and it changes automatically the icon of a file you dropped over it. It works with file types, so you can have an icon for MOD music, another for DPaint pictures and so on. It's a commodity and comes with a preferences editor.

Another commodity is EasyWB from Aminet which complements Associate. It puts an icon on the Workbench and it executes an associated program when you drop an icon over it. It works with file types too. It is a commodity, and it comes with a preferences editor. Currently it does not associate programs with long file paths and files with the extension at the start of the file name (like "MOD.#?"). And another advice - this needs StackAttack.

Look also this thread because I am looking for a program similar to EasyWB called ExApp, but I could find the program or the author.

Definitively AmigaOS needs more programs like these!

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 19 November 2018 at 03:18.
Old 19 November 2018, 22:43   #2009
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Great, thank you - will check out these progs - good old Aminet!!
Old 04 December 2018, 09:17   #2010
spudje

Just out of curiousity and maybe finding me a hobby project. Would it be possible to expose AREXX ports of Amiga applications over IP and use them from something like a python/php (web) server that can turn it into a RestFULL API?
Old 04 December 2018, 09:39   #2011
thomas

An ARexx "port" is not a port in the sense of TCP/IP. It is rather an AmigaOS MsgPort which can only be accessed through exec.library. You would have to write a proxy program which opens a listener in TCP/IP and forwards any incoming request to the ARexx port.

As ARexx requests are text-based, this is well possible. With the help of tcp-handler, which should be included with every Amiga TCP/IP stack, it can even be done in ARexx. There is an ARexxWebServer on Aminet, you can use it as an example.

Handling results might be a bit more difficult. Not so much for standard requests. They retrung a numeric return code (RC) and possibly an alphanumeric secondary result (RESULT).

But programs offering ARexx ports can also supply additional results in form of Rexx variables. This method is specific to each Arexx port and would have to be mapped for each port seperately in the proxy program.

Scaling under load might be a problem. AFAIK tcp-handler can only handle one request at a time. The listener is busy while the request is being processed and needs to be closed/reopened for the next request.
Old 04 December 2018, 09:45   #2012
Daedalus

I'm sure it would be relatively simple to write a daemon that passes requests back and forth, but that's a colossal security hole so I personally wouldn't be too fond of the idea. Back in the day I had a simpler program that would pass ARexx messages back and forth across a serial cable for remote controlling certain software from another Amiga, and it worked fine.

If you're not aware, there's a web server that's implemented in ARexx which can use server-side ARexx scripts as well as inline commands. It's called W3S and it's on Aminet in two different versions, one more feature-rich than the other. It might be worth a look as an alternative approach.

Edit: Good point from thomas regarding scaling and multiple requests and results variables...
Old 05 December 2018, 15:32   #2013
spudje

Thanks guys, maybe something to take a look at some time in the near future, just as a hobby. It's mainly to see if I can integrate my Amiga(s) in a domotica/IoT setup. Not that I have a real use case, just for experimenting purposes.
Old 12 December 2018, 18:27   #2014
Gordon
Settler

What is the best way to glue down an Amiga case badge?
Old 12 December 2018, 18:54   #2015
ajk

Thin double sided tape.
Old 02 January 2019, 03:17   #2016
ScottJ85

Speaking of case badges, anyone know of where I might be able to get a new old stock or second-hand A1200 badge? I'm keeping an eye on the usual places (eBay, Gumtree, Amibay, etc) but nothing yet.
Old 16 January 2019, 15:12   #2017
Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ85 View Post
Speaking of case badges, anyone know of where I might be able to get a new old stock or second-hand A1200 badge? I'm keeping an eye on the usual places (eBay, Gumtree, Amibay, etc) but nothing yet.
me too

i have spent the last 3 days on and off reading this thread many interesting points .. there are a few points that id like the answer too also that either the link too is now dead so i didnt get an answer or it simply didnt get a reply .

1. what (if there is) are the 11 keys + a nose to activate this (edited its on page 2 )
2. has anybody confirmed that on paper boy to get more subs does hitting none subs windows actually work lol .

Last edited by Triple; 16 January 2019 at 15:18.
Old 16 January 2019, 15:31   #2018
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
me too

i have spent the last 3 days on and off reading this thread many interesting points .. there are a few points that id like the answer too also that either the link too is now dead so i didnt get an answer or it simply didnt get a reply .

1. what (if there is) are the 11 keys + a nose to activate this (edited its on page 2 )
The page ist still on the wayback machine ... but it did not really explain the "11 keys", but see for yourself:

Quote:
Workbench 1.2 Messages

First hold down both Alts and both Shifts and press one of the following F keys.

F1: System Software: Carl, Neil & Kodiak
F2: Graphics Software: Dale, Bart, Jim & =RJ=
F3: QA: Jon, Bruce, Stan, Kim & Jerry F4: LG Support: Caryn, Dave, Victor, Terry, Cheryl & Nancy
F5: CBM software: Andy, Barry, Dave & Eric
F6: Pics: Sheryl & Jack
F7: Docs: Rick, Mitch, Peggy & Rob
F8: Chips: Jay, Akio, Glenn, Edwin, Mark & Dave
F9: HW: Dave, Bill, ChrisR & Josh
F10: Moral Support: Joe Pillow & The Dancing Fools
Now press both Alts, both shifts, press F1 and eject DF0: all at once and you'll see:
The Amiga, Born a Champion
Whilst holding this click the left mouse button on the screen to back gadget and re-insert the disk.
If you have WB 1.2 you'll see:

We made Amiga, They fucked it up
Commodore never commented on these messages but subtly changed it to the following in Workbench 1.3:
Still a Champion
Remember, you need Kickstart 1.2 to see use the key-sequences, but they are in the 1.3 Kickstart ROM.
It is also alleged to include these messages although these have not been tested:

The Amiga Wizards bring this power to you.
Brought to you by not a mere Wizard, but the Wizard Extraordinaire: Dale Luck
A second Easter egg has also been found in the WB1.x preferences. Thanks to Raymond Chen for finding this.
-
Go into the mouse preference screen, on the first screen, there are pictures of two mice, one to set the double-click speed and one to set the mouse speed. Click on each of the buttons on the mice 5 time in the following order.

1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

Now select "Change printer" and scroll all the way up the list of possible printers, and then all the way down. Then the title bar of the preferences window changes to something like:

Congratulations =RJ=
The myth surrounding this is that RJ Michel became a father whilst the OS was in development.
The next message also uses the mouse image gadgets. Click on the mouse buttons in the following order:

3 2 4 2 4 3 2 2 3 2 4 2 4 3 2 2

Now select "Change printer", then select OK, then select "Reset Colors".

Read the message in the title bar.
Old 16 January 2019, 20:06   #2019
Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
The page ist still on the wayback machine ... but it did not really explain the "11 keys", but see for yourself:
thanks very much when i get my motherboard back from amigapassion and i ge my cf up and running i will get to see this in person
Old 17 January 2019, 07:00   #2020
Hewitson

There's several things they could have meant by saying Commodore fucked it up. I always wondered what they were referring to.