English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 September 2017, 21:21   #81
nogginthenog
Amigan

Jira is free for open source projects (you have to apply for a license). As MartinW said it's stupidly complex but works very well for us.

This assumes that Amiga OS could become open source. I'm hoping this is behind Olaf's "door #3"
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost...6&postcount=19
Old 07 September 2017, 23:24   #82
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Jira is free for open source projects (you have to apply for a license).
Has anyone ever tried to apply with a no-source project? A binary release?
I mean, we are talking about the old abandoned versions, not the 4.x that has a developer attached to it.

I guess that the premise would be to fold the very minute a zombie raises from the C= grave (unless some kind of miracle happens that aligns it with an open source vector).
(I don't expect much un-deads nor miracles. Even less both.)
Old 10 September 2017, 14:04   #83
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Would you consider sharing them? There can't be anything confidential or which must still be kept closed, since they were already shared 25 years ago.
I agree, it would be great if these bug reports were released. The Report+ tool can be used to view them in a user-friendly manner.
Old 11 September 2017, 16:58   #84
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
Unless you're open source (which we know AmigaOS is not) then you are very limited unless you want to pay $$$. I have experience of Jira and it's probably the bar that most others are measured against but hell, it's complex! (and very expensive for non OS)

Currently at work we are using Visual Studio Online. Somewhat simpler, a bit on the quirky side but it works for us. Not self hosted however. The nice thing about that is (for us) you get a few full users for free which can be the developers, but you can have as many free 'Stakeholdrs' as you like and they can still participate with bug tracking, just not the code side of things.

Any reason for the self-hosting other than privacy and control? Most of the hosted ones have private repository options which may or may not come free / low cost.
It is primarily about privacy (both your own, and the privacy of those you invite to work with you) and control. The burden of having to wrangle your own infrastructure is something to be weighed against delegating that responsibility.

The price you pay, even if you do not pay money for it, is that you are not necessarily the keeper of your own data, and the people you invite to work with you. I would rather fail on my own terms than having to sit idly by, watching how the organization you delegated your responsibility to fumble the job.

Should a different tool catch your eye in the long run, you might also find it it difficult to migrate the data to it. With older tools such as Bugzilla that migration might be no more than a database dump and a conversion script away.

Finally, I'm all for doing your own homework if possible
Old 11 September 2017, 17:02   #85
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbob42 View Post
That's great - your list includes the SAS/C kprintf-Bug which drove me quite mad when I first encountered it.
Actually, that's a documented side-effect of kprintf(), etc. being built on top of exec.library/RawDoFmt(). Back in the day, a 'word' was a 16 bit integer, not a 32 bit integer, hence the reason why "%d" pulls two bytes worth of data from the stack rather than 4. Remember: this is not a 'C' compiler function which you are calling, but an operating system function designed to follow very different requirements.

(I got bitten time and again by this "side-effect", in spite of knowing about it, and every time it made me angry)
Old 11 September 2017, 17:12   #86
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Would you consider sharing them? There can't be anything confidential or which must still be kept closed, since they were already shared 25 years ago.
This is a tough problem, which I believe must be solved because keeping that data locked up is not at all beneficial.

The core of the problem is that all this information was collected by Commodore for in-house use, and the persons submitting could reasonably expect that only Commodore would ever put it to use.

Not all the database entries exist because somebody used the old "report" tool. Some of the entries had their origins in e-mail messages sent to the Commodore developers through private channels, e.g. the Amiga developer support program or the closed Amiga developer group at BIX.

You could claim with good reason that 30 years are a very long time, and that businesses which existed then, as well as e-mail addresses, are no longer cause for concern today. I am wary of causually making something public which the original authors never intended to be revealed.

Deciding upon the criteria under which information could be revealed would be a good start. E-Mail addresses are comparatively easily filtered out (although as far back as this information goes, they were still using bang path addressing). Personal information, that's more difficult. Could be that the whole process would involve looking over the text (all 5200 entries) and scrubbing it prior to publication
Old 11 September 2017, 17:17   #87
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
We use Jira at work (among others like BMC Remedy), though I was somewhat hazily of the impression that it was kinda part of the open source movement. Mea culpa.
Am I totally wrong in thinking GitHub has some tracking stuff? (Possibly with some requirements that can't be met?)
I take it that one should not assume that the Amiga operating system will qualify for free use of Jira/GitHub.

I have looked around, but it doesn't seem to me that similar functionality is easily available in self-hosted form. The one which I tried to set up manually on my test system, and which looked like a good place to start, was "Taiga". There's always "Bugzilla", but given its age I am not sure if it would be a good match. Just because AmigaOS has in the past been maintained with "Bugzilla", it does not follow that it has to be an adequate solution.

Quote:
All I wanted was to complain about Deallocate()...
What specifically are you concerned about?
Old 11 September 2017, 18:27   #88
mark_k

What about Redmine?
Old 11 September 2017, 19:33   #89
Olaf Barthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
What about Redmine?
Thank you, I completely forgot about Redmine, and I shouldn't have

Redmine would be a very good match for the kind of data which the Commodore bug/enhancement request database represents, and the kind of workflow it implies. You can comment on bugs, and use markup in your comments, attach files, etc. This would be badly needed, since the context in which the database contents stood some 30 years ago is no longer quite so "obvious".

I have used Redmine before, as an alternative to Bugzilla, and quickly learned to appreciate it. My only (minor) complaint is that sometimes Redmine performance can drop sharply for no apparent reason. Could be that since I last installed Redmine things might have improved, though.
Old 12 September 2017, 03:01   #90
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf Barthel View Post
Deallocate()
What specifically are you concerned about?
Oh, it accepts a partially correct free operation instead of sanity checking both start and end before modifying the headers.

I.e. if you supply the correct address but wrong size then you'll blow up the OS with a Guru instead of ignoring it or just throw a not-deadend requester.

I made my own version for my own patched Exec and for the patches I needed in GuardianAngelRemix.