English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 September 2008, 02:46   #221
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
The wonderful animations. Nothing is as much fun as watching these little bricks come to life and kicking the living daylights out of each other. Every fight is unique and ingenious.
[Theodor Lauppert (a retro-dude apparently)]

As for Metal Mutant :
Just like in the earlier Targhan (from Silmarils), graphics are spectacular in their own way. All green in the beginning (colors change as you advance), fifteen colors were sufficient for the effects.
[Him again]

By the way, he wrote a seemingly nice Diablo II links page.
Still not 'technically' interesting which is the whole point of the thread.
Old 27 September 2008, 03:55   #222
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
There were 35 animations, including movement, prelude to battle, and the combinations of battle itself.

It helped launch Interplay as an independent computer game design house after it ended its relationship with Electronic Arts. Battle Chess spawned a horde of imitators, but none matched the humorous animations of artists Todd Camasta & Bruce Schlickbernd, and were never as successful.
They won a Software Publishers Association award for Best Graphics for their efforts.

- Taken from nationmaster.com Encyclopedia

Also, if I remember well, Battle Chess was cited during some TV show interview to demonstrate the technical potential of the Amiga.
Old 27 September 2008, 04:03   #223
Marcuz
Wurk???

Quote:
The wonderful animations. Nothing is as much fun as watching these little bricks come to life and kicking the living daylights out of each other. Every fight is unique and ingenious.
[Theodor Lauppert (a retro-dude apparently)]

As for Metal Mutant :
Just like in the earlier Targhan (from Silmarils), graphics are spectacular in their own way. All green in the beginning (colors change as you advance), fifteen colors were sufficient for the effects.
[Him again]

By the way, he wrote a seemingly nice Diablo II links page.
as i said, cool designs, cool games, but for both, no reason to think they are well coded.

Heck, Metal Mutant has some slow animations, static backgrounds and it's slow to a crawl.
the control is dull, the gameplay in general sore.

Battle Chess and its sequel too, they are just chess game with slow animations on a fixed background.
granted the animations are cool, but they require slow loadings, each of them, and they are slow in the playing. so much that often when you play you switch to the classical chessboard view, making the game no different from any workbench freeware game of chess...

i like these games, Metal Mutant has also a poster painted by John Bolton, who beside being a cool, smart and lavish illustrator, i doubt he can code

Quote:
There were 35 animations, including movement, prelude to battle, and the combinations of battle itself.

It helped launch Interplay as an independent computer game design house after it ended its relationship with Electronic Arts. Battle Chess spawned a horde of imitators, but none matched the humorous animations of artists Todd Camasta & Bruce Schlickbernd, and were never as successful.
They won a Software Publishers Association award for Best Graphics for their efforts.

- Taken from nationmaster.com Encyclopedia

Also, if I remember well, Battle Chess was cited during some TV show interview to demonstrate the technical potential of the Amiga.
hei! i can quote my cat. she's very articulate! sometimes she's also walks on my keyboard, so she knows what she says
Old 27 September 2008, 04:35   #224
Photon

Heh, thanks for mentioning Silkworm. It is indeed a finely tuned and most enjoyable shooter, ahead of its time. I should know, I played it Sunday last!! to level 4 where I died. Maybe if my lazy bro had wanted to help me with the jeep...
Old 27 September 2008, 05:32   #225
NewDeli
Banned

Here's the link to the show "The computer Chronicles", presenting in about 30 minutes the Amiga 2500. Admittedly, it can serve as a very potent replacement to sleeping pills . Yet, the ingeener has indeed retained Menace & Battle Chess for his demo...

If you examine carefully some of the Knight's moves, there is a Monthy Python reference in the Black Knight fighting, featured in the Holy Grail movie.

I think watching again a few episode of the hilarous show could help some English member of a well-known PC & Amiga cracking group to let his sense of humor more easily transpire in his replies.

To paraphrase Vador addressing one of General Tarkin subordinate who inopportunely turned down his religious beliefs during a Death Star council :
"I find your lack of humor disturbing, Sir"

Last edited by NewDeli; 27 September 2008 at 13:07.
Old 27 September 2008, 11:27   #226
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Here's the link to the show "The computer Chronicles", presenting in about 30 minutes the Amiga 2500. Admittedly, it can serve as a very potent replacement to sleeping pills . Yet, the ingeener has indeed retained Menace & Battle Chess for his demo...

If you examine carefully some of the Knight's moves, there is a Monthy Python reference in the Black Knight fighting, featured in the Holy Grail movie.

I think watching again a few episode of the hilarous show could help some English member of a well-known PC & Amiga cracking group to let his sense of humor more easily transpire in his replies.

To paraphrase Vador adressing one of General Tarkin subordonate at a Death Star council who inopportunely turned down his religious beliefs :
"I find your lack of humor disturbing, Sir"
All jolly interesting, but not on topic.

Thread about technically the best games, if it was a thread about which games have the best animation, i'm sure some of the ones you've mentioned would qualify.

Battle Chess and Metal Mutants do not.
Old 28 September 2008, 20:38   #227
rsn8887

Alien Breed 3d part one, maybe, for what it did on Amiga at the time. It did have those cool water effects and I think didn't it also have full 3d levels? Like, in a time when other games of this type on Amiga where limited, many had only 90 degree wall angles or they had no bridges, or no water, or missing something else that AB3d had?

Maybe The Assembly Line did some interesting 3d work technically. Vaxine comes to my mind as one example. That on-the-fly dithering and 3d effects were pretty original and impressive IMO. But I am no coder, so...

Another interesting 3d effect was Blob by Core Design, not exactly mind-boggling, but very original and well executed IMO.

I also agree with Mr. Nutz for ECS and Brian the Lion for AGA being absolute technical masterpieces. However, I think that, as far as I remember, at least Brian the Lion was a bit sparse, in the sense that the characters where so big and the screen so small that not much really was going on at any one time in terms of actual enemies and other game elements on the screen.

Btw: was Brian the Lion AGA ever cracked 100%? I think there was a manual protection popping up later in the game but it might be my memory being fuzzy.

EDIT: What about Uridium 2?
Old 28 September 2008, 20:52   #228
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

LOL,

I think this thread should be renamed

"which was, from a visually technical POV, the best amiga game?"
Old 28 September 2008, 20:54   #229
TCD

What about :

'which was, from your technical POV, the best amiga game?'

Old 28 September 2008, 20:59   #230
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
What about :

you know.... that could work
Old 28 September 2008, 21:19   #231
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

I'm told Captive has a lot to recommend it...
Old 28 September 2008, 21:27   #232
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I'm told Captive has a lot to recommend it...
Okay everyone take cover. Zetr0 and bippy are rushing in
Old 28 September 2008, 22:30   #233
NewDeli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
What about :
very spiritual. I myself couldn't have done better .

Has this one been evoked yet on EAB :
What was, from a coder involved in cracking activities point of view, the most boring game to disassemble ?

Last edited by NewDeli; 28 September 2008 at 22:43.
Old 28 September 2008, 22:55   #234
Marcuz
Wurk???

something easier to me... which was from a user point of view, the EAB thread from which is best to stay away? oh! i just found my answer...
Old 28 September 2008, 23:00   #235
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Let's face facts on this thread, like it or not, the most technically impressive game HAS to be one with incredible visuals, even if the gameplay is rubbish.

You only have a limited amount of DMA time to redraw the screen and move objects, so if it appears that the game has more colours than are possible, or bigger objects are animating than you can draw in a frame, it is a technical achievement.

Dunno if Elfmania has been mentioned, most people including me couldn't believe that was ECS and only 1Mb and I liked Agony's 2 layers of parallax scrolling behind the main action (and the art was very well drawn considering it's 8 colours in each plane!).
Old 29 September 2008, 02:46   #236
NewDeli
Banned

Disney's Aladdin from Virgin Interactive, if Sega subsequently porting this game to its Genesis console doesn't deter you too much.
I wonder if John Twiddy was not inspired by Prince of Persia...
Old 29 September 2008, 04:19   #237
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I don't rate Aladdin or Lion King actually - they don't quite induce the same feeling of dizziness like Cool Spot, but the scrolling is awful! Definitely no technical masterpieces I'm afraid.
Old 29 September 2008, 08:50   #238
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Disney's Aladdin from Virgin Interactive, if Sega subsequently porting this game to its Genesis console doesn't deter you too much.
Wasn't it ported from the Mega Drive, rather than to it?
Old 29 September 2008, 09:49   #239
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Wasn't it ported from the Mega Drive, rather than to it?

Yup, all Megadrive/SNES first then ported later to Amiga.
Old 29 September 2008, 12:28   #240
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Quote:
the most technically impressive game HAS to be one with incredible visuals, even if the gameplay is rubbish
So Microcosm wins?

Seriously, though, it seems like a very technically impressive game to me.