SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Retrogaming, made in france

https://www.en24.news/2019/10/the-te...ming-news.html
[The announcement]

https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/RC-018...ade-in-france/
[All ten stories]

A series of short stories -YT style- about a selection of ten games from the 90s conceived by distinguished and renowned French authors. Comments by the authors themselves when available. Even though Arte channel is part German, this is aiming at a French speaking audience (no subs, I know, it sucks ).

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 November 2019, 16:37   #2
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thank you for the link

Sad that clips are so shorts. Really interesting.
Old 02 November 2019, 04:32   #3
SquawkBox

Don't mention it. Paul Cuisset is da man. Cuisse translates as thighs in French. These plump forearms of his could almost be mistaken for thighs,
hence the name (just joking) .

http://mag.mo5.com/paul-cuisset-hono...er-of-mo5-com/

Last edited by SquawkBox; 02 November 2019 at 10:18.
Old 05 November 2019, 14:04   #4
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

My favorite retro site is french... thank you for link.

ps. I don't speak any french.
Old 05 November 2019, 22:42   #5
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
My favorite retro site is french
You mean hosted in France, and run by the French Eye in the Sky (EAB / RCK ?) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
ps. I don't speak any french.
I don't speak English, so we're even. I mean, I can write in this overblown fashion, but I am under the impression it's not ideal, even a bit grating to some old timers, especially with my limited knowledge of the Amiga internals. As a teen, by the age of 14, I had become a lazy bum (well, sort of) gifted with the ability to summarize so I wouldn't have to do my homework or barely (or learn Basic or some other computer language or exercise at Deluxe Paint). Why, you would be willing to learn French ? Will have to check amongst TOSEC clutter if French learning lessons app might be available for the Amiga.

Meanwhile, enjoy these bombastic songs bearing some rather common verses matey :

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by SquawkBox; 06 November 2019 at 03:05.
Old 06 November 2019, 04:37   #6
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

azz, no Zobi la Mouche?
Old 06 November 2019, 07:36   #7
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
no Zobi la Mouche?
Not much to "grasp" with this rant, here it is anyway :

[ Show youtube player ]

This is similar in style, a bit less disjointed :

[ Show youtube player ]

I also fancy old fashioned songs :

[ Show youtube player ]

Oh, but we French are Ok with some handsome air-head butchering a classic :

[ Show youtube player ]

Didn't find much about lessons in French among the stuff, just a couple poorly presented ADFs (the french mistress...)...
As an alternative, one can pronounce a few words in Japanese with this program :

http://www.sunteam.co.uk/amigapages/japanese.html

Konbanwa to all!
Old 06 November 2019, 13:52   #8
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

When I think about song in french language, first thing comes to mind is mixed song...

[ Show youtube player ]

Since I originally come from country that used titles, allowing you to hear language and since lots of comics were either from Italy or France, we did learn some basics form most languages, including French.

As for favorite retro site - that is not dedicated to single computer - I still use it to check news from retro, get new versions of emulators and sometimes to play bit - recognize this game by screenshot game, while getting few GTrones. It used to be way to pay for FTP access back 15 or so years ago.

Last edited by Anubis; 06 November 2019 at 14:04.
Old 07 November 2019, 19:53   #9
SquawkBox

You will need some exposure to spoken language if you want to maintain your French at the current level, any typically French cultural artifact will do, Monsieur , FM radio, cable TV, recorded for TV or DVD pièces de théatre (from authors such as Molière, De Musset...), you may find quite of few of these on legacy P2P networks...
I knew someone who was granted access to a private FTP access once if that's what you are referring to, twice actually. Sharing ripped Björk or Red Hot Chili Peppers CDs was the thing by then, among other stuff. He told me he had to pay in real cash though, and corresponding server was shut down rapidly. Unless you're some kind of V.I.P., nothing beats doing it on your own. I know for a fact EAB regulars had a couple of confidential sites to download Amiga goodies from too, CD32 ISOs and what not.
Tbh, the song 7 seconds was a huge multicultural hit, but as long as French language is involved, it might prove a bit frustrating with that thick accent and truncated speech. During her youth, the female counterpart Neneh Cherry had quite an act as a house music singer / rapper :

[ Show youtube player ]

For a more eloquent outing bearing an African vibe, I would suggest giving a try to the White Griot aka Salif Keita music, especially Sosie (means look-alike).

[ Show youtube player ]

Code:
He (S. Keita) takes up residence in Mali in 1996, and balances his time between Paris and Bamako.
Folon's polar opposite, Sosie, comes out the following year. Sosie is a saccharine,
adult contemporary treatment of classic French love songs, but it's a repertoire he enjoys singing.
One review characterizes it thusly : "Fans of S. Gainsbourg won't get it. African music purists will hate it.
Those with a taste for slightly confused and skewed pop music will love it". Island declined the album,
it was released on the tiny Mellemfolkgleit label.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 08 November 2019 at 05:29.
Old 10 November 2019, 02:38   #10
SquawkBox

On the matter itself, I was about to gripe on about the Versailles 1685 segment which did put Versailles a bit hastily under the category "game aiming at old folks with slippers on by the fire" because of its educational aspects I assume, when I realized the new version of ScummVM could play it .
What i did was grab a custom ISO from the folks at LTF Abandonware France (check the updated "version automatique"), deleted the ScummVM exe from the archive and simply copied the whole thing to the directory in which I store the bulk of ScummVM games data. Added up the game from within ScummVM gui and voila, the compatibility seems perfect. Quite a treat if you enjoy lush music and of course the Castle of Versailles and its surroundings. The game also exists in English. Most certainly, the English version is supported in ScummVM too but anyone's free to run it from D-Fend Reloaded.

P.S. The ReadMe from v2.1 also mentions Blade Runner support but the drivers to run it are in a preliminary state, so I'd say not worth the trouble.
Old 16 November 2019, 19:22   #11
SquawkBox

Last week, I bought a magazine and a book from a small publishing company, just wanted to let French speaking folks know about its existence. They have their headquarters in Paris, two blocks away from my place. Never heard of them until now, name of that magazine, with an emphasis on retro-gaming : JV ~ le mag, as in Jeux Vidéo (Wildfire Média SAS).
  • The magazine I bought is a special edition about the most famous Megadrive games.
  • The book (hardcover) is about a selection of games from the first half of the 90's, one game per page. It was published after a successful Kickstarter campaign.
Another kickstarter campaign is going on for volume II (1995-99).
Price of the monthly magazine is 6,50 euros. I was lucky enough to save on shipping costs, but one can group orders e.q. to grab a few of their previous issues. Great minds think alike (not mine, Arte's), September '19 issue bears an interview of Paul Cuisset!

Last edited by SquawkBox; 16 November 2019 at 20:52.
Old 17 November 2019, 01:00   #12
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

As it's possible not to display OT topics, regarding this thread content, maybe it will better suits the "Retrogaming General Discussion " section.

Any M or GM thinking the same around here ?
Old 17 November 2019, 16:42   #13
SquawkBox

It says English Amiga Board mind you, and all resources evoked here are in French. Point is, I think it fits in OT, thanks anyway. Let those few members ignore OT sections altogether should they want it that way, their loss .

Last edited by SquawkBox; 17 November 2019 at 18:09.
Old 18 November 2019, 02:43   #14
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Ohhh, i thought it was Erotic Amiga Board...

How disappointing...