English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 November 2019, 09:07   #1
marco920

problem with Impact A500 HD8+ Series II

Good morning everyone, I joined after years of reading because I have a BIG problem and I suggested to ask you.

Years ago I bought a GVP IMPACT II HD + (http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/impact500mk2) with the original eprom (I think 3.14) and the original 40mb HD SCSI II that continued.

My configuration
A500 / +
512 KB of RAM
Swith kickrom 2.4 / 1.3
GVP with 2x4mb.
GURUROM with gvpscsi.device Not omiscsi.device. It's error?

first turn on the GVP on "GAME SWITCH", then turn on the Amiga 500 / + and wait for the kickrom image to appear and then move the button in "GVP autoboot", reset the amiga500 / + and insert the floppy "GVP UTILITY" (which leads to the blue screen that asks me Y / N) and start reading the floppy.
With the original EPROM / HD, I do NOT encounter any problems, it identifies the HD to me, "prepares" it, "partitions" and "formats" and copies the floppies of WB 1.3.2, when requested, and on reboot it boots me and loads it correctly; but since I'm going to use the WHDLOAD, I have bought 2 HD SCSI II of 4.56Gb and a "GURUROM 6.14", so without adapter, (I have no installation floppy or other), but they started problems.
The GVP and Amiga500 / + start-up procedure gives problems; when I move the button to "Autoboot" e restart the Amiga 500 / +, the green / red LED flashes (I have an old Amiga 500 model I have put the 1.3 kickrom instead of the 1.2), and manifests several errors (GURUMEDITATION or OTHER), while if not restart, it loads correctly the "GVP UTILITY" floppy, but the 4.56gb HD is recognized as if it were only 261mb (in the top right corner there is the word "HD SIZE").
Sometimes, partitions the HD into 3 and if the digits are maximum, they correspond to the total size of the HD, but when "I prepare", "partition" and "format", every now and then gives me an error in setting the cylinders and when this error does not occur, when the Amiga restarts, it does not do the BOOT (AUTOBOOT), but the green / red LED flashes, and if I use the WB 1.3 or "GVP INSTALL" floppy disk containing a minimum of WB 1.3, to me it displays the partitions with the copy of WB1.3 or other, but does not boot (but does it with the old eprom and with 40mb HD)
I hope I was clear; can you tell me which procedure I forget or don't know or what am I wrong?

Last edited by marco920; 08 November 2019 at 12:10.
Old 08 November 2019, 01:10   #2
power

this guy craps on a lot but he does show the process (eventually).

skip to about 26 minutes

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 November 2019, 07:57   #3
marco920

thanks, but I've already seen that video and don't use a GURUROM since it uses the original small hard disk and with the original hard disk gives me no problem, I can't, by mounting the GURUROM 6.14, "see" a HARD 4.56gb DISK; GURUROM tells me that it is from 261mb. why?

Last edited by marco920; 08 November 2019 at 11:23.
Old 09 November 2019, 09:44   #4
Jope
-

Because most tools + the OS has 32 bit maths for the size. Sometimes even signed maths. This means the size variables wrap around at 4GB or 2GB. You need to check the geometry and calculate the sizes by hand when partitioning to verify the size, then you must live with the fact that the OS shows incorrect sizes.

OS3.1.4 or OS3.9 have this fixed.
Old 09 November 2019, 11:19   #5
marco920

so should I use HDTOOLBOX of 3.9 and not of 3.1? but I also used HDInstTool taken from Aminet, but with it it doesn't find the Hard disk; with HdToolBox of 3.1 he finds it, but he saw it as 80mb, while my HD is 4.56gb now I try to use 3.9 and let you know. PS: just "pick up" the HDTollBox file ONLY or do I have to take other files from OS3.9?
Old 09 November 2019, 14:27   #6
marco920

does not work. I copied HdtoolBox from the OS3.9 CD to the Install 3.1 floppy (I replaced the floppy one) it told me that asl.library and resource.library was missing and I copied them to the Install 3.1 floppy, but when I use HDToolBox it says: "Cannot open" resource.library "version 44. Unable to run" HDToolBox " maybe I forget some files? I have to copy and where, gvpscsi.device?
Old 09 November 2019, 19:30   #7
Jope
-

The 3.9 HDToolBox is rather difficult to extract from a 3.9 installation. Better focus on HDInstTools if you have that.

Did you take icon information from HDInstTools in WB and type the correct scsi device name into the tooltypes?
Old 09 November 2019, 19:37   #8
mark_k

If you're using the Guru-ROM, its device name is omniscsi.device (as far as I know), not gvpscsi.device. It will probably be best to use HDToolBox with that instead of FaastPrep.

The old GVP ROM should actually work OK with your drives, allowing access up to 4GB. You could either just create partitions below the 4GB point (wasting the last ~200MB or so), or use a filesystem like PFS3 to access any partition which is partially beyond 4GB.

HDToolBox should work OK with the GVP ROM too (put SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=gvpscsi.device tooltype in its icon).

Last edited by mark_k; 09 November 2019 at 19:51.
Old 10 November 2019, 01:20   #9
marco920

thanks to your advice, yesterday, I made a lot of progress but I didn't solve my problem. I understood 2 things. The original EPROM has: gvpscsi.decive 4.13 the new EPROM has: gvpscsi.device 4.15 I made version gvpscsi.device from SHELL; doing so, since I use the same installation floppies and the same procedure and changed EPROMs ONLY, I assume it is the eprom version, although after OK in SHELL I read the floppy before the result (4.13 or 4.15). I used HDToolBOX of Wb1.3 and I changed the datatype to gvpscsi.device and it "identifies" the hard disk, but it makes an oddity. By default it gives me 2 partitions from just over 2.1gb, but if I delete them and then redo them, it gives me the hard disk for a few hundred MB; then I partitioned the first default partition into 3, deleted the remainder and then extended the second to cover all the remaining unpartitioned space of the first; I explained myself well !? Why does this happen ?? But the main problem remains; when I partition, format and copy the WB 1.3 and "extra" floppies on the Hard disk, with FAASTPREEP or even by hand, with the new eprom it does not boot ... If I turn on the GVP in Autoboot with new eprom, the green LED flashes! It blocks .... Does not boot from the hard disk.

such block, it happens both with kickrom 1.3 and with 3.1 (my amiga500, mount a kick-swith)

NB: I wanted to do 5 partitions. 25 mb x WB 1.3 25mb x WB 2.0 35mb x WB 3.1o 3.1.4 200mb x BACK-UP 4072 mb x Whdload

Last edited by marco920; 10 November 2019 at 11:18.
Old 11 November 2019, 00:38   #10
mark_k

The part of the drive past 4GB cannot be accessed using normal device commands. If you define a partition in HDToolBox which is past that, when you try to format that partition, you'd actually be overwriting data (corrupting it) in one of the lower partitions.

Which filesystem were you planning to use? A huge nearly-4GB partition is not going to work well with FastFileSystem (and if it's partly past the 4GB point you'd have to use e.g. PFS3 instead).

If I were doing this, I'd define the drive geometry in HDToolBox to cover the lower 4GB, and just leave the upper ~200MB unused. That would avoid problems with corrupting your data if you accidentally access/format the highest partition incorrectly.

I'll hopefully post more details tomorrow.
Old 14 November 2019, 15:21   #11
mark_k

Here's how to define a drive type in HDToolBox to only cover the first 4GB. At the cost of leaving some space unused, this will avoid any problems related to accessing partitions which lie beyond the lower 4GB. (Since your drive is only a little larger than 4GB, only ~250MB will be wasted.)

Run HDToolBox.
Select your drive from the Hard Drives in System list.
Click Change Drive Type. The Select a Drive Type page appears.
Click Define New...

You can enter whatever you like in the Manufacturers Name, Drive Name and Drive Revision fields. Or click Read Configuration to have HDToolBox read those from the drive.

We're going to enter fake geometry values (cylinders, heads, blocks per track) which cover the entire first 4GB of the drive. 4GB corresponds to 8,388,608 512-byte sectors. So for example you could enter these figures:
Cylinders 8192
Heads 4
Blocks per Track 256
Blocks per Cylinder 1024

HDToolBox will say "Size: -512K (0 Meg)" since it only works with 32-bit numbers internally but that's just cosmetic. Enter 8192 for Park head where (cylinder).

Click Ok to return to the Select a Drive Type page. Your new entry appears in the list. Select it and click Ok. You'll see a warning requester which says:
Are you sure you want to change
the drive type for the current drive?

(All old partitions on the drive will
be lost if you save these changes.)

Click Continue. Now you're back at the Hard Drives in System page. Select your HD and click Partition Drive.