English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 October 2019, 16:29   #21
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Btw, a harddrive which is 18GB is 18*1000*1000*1000 Bytes, while computers, especially with an older OS generally considers a GB to be 1024*1024*1024, so 17GB sounds correct. Marketing vs computer people.

No matter what size or type hdd the system always takes some way.

Exsmple 8TB hdd formated in windows will give you 7.27 GB

Exsmple 2TB hdd formated in windows will give you 1.99 GB

Example M.2 SSD 500GB formated in windows will give you 465 GB

Also like Tee.Vee's And Monitors a 17" Monitor ain 17" its slightly less.

I know...
Old 21 October 2019, 17:31   #22
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by macce2 View Post
Excuse me for being a noobie, but would you please explain, how would I set the mask correctly ? My CPU card doesn't have any Ram onboard, but on the motherboard there is a normal 2 Mb Chip + 16 Mb Fast, and I also have the BigRamPlus card (256 Mb) installed. Thus, it does indeed seem that SysInfo (and maybe the whole system?!) somehow shows all the Zorro memory as "one" ?!
If you have no hardware or driver bugs, the mask should be 0xffffffff - no limitations on address or alignment.

Nothing will become better/faster by using a restrictive mask if you don’t need it. It will only make the file system do the transfer in super small chunks via chipmem or similar at really low speed for memory/alignments not matching the mask.

You should have no address restrictions on an A4000 with a Z3 card- all addresses should be usable for DMA. Also, in my experience, Phase5 cards has no alignment restrictions either. You can see if this is the case by choosing mask 0xffffffff for a partition (not boot partition, that is unnecessary) and run a diskspeed test on it and see that it works correctly for byte, word and longword alignment.

Last edited by patrik; 21 October 2019 at 17:36.
Old 21 October 2019, 22:30   #23
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
If you have no hardware or driver bugs, the mask should be 0xffffffff - no limitations on address or alignment.

Nothing will become better/faster by using a restrictive mask if you don’t need it. It will only make the file system do the transfer in super small chunks via chipmem or similar at really low speed for memory/alignments not matching the mask.

You should have no address restrictions on an A4000 with a Z3 card- all addresses should be usable for DMA. Also, in my experience, Phase5 cards has no alignment restrictions either. You can see if this is the case by choosing mask 0xffffffff for a partition (not boot partition, that is unnecessary) and run a diskspeed test on it and see that it works correctly for byte, word and longword alignment.
DMA doesn't work properly on some device/RAM combinations. In particular some accelerator cards have local memory that does not support DMA from the Z3 bus.
Old 22 October 2019, 09:41   #24
patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
DMA doesn't work properly on some device/RAM combinations. In particular some accelerator cards have local memory that does not support DMA from the Z3 bus.
Poorly designed accelerators not allowing DMA to local memory (very troublesome for the user) are not uncommon for the A500/A2000.

However, I have never experienced or heard of such accelerator for the CPU fast slot of the A3000/A4000. Do you have any example?
Old 23 October 2019, 19:59   #25
macce2
Retro maniac

Ok, I changed the max transfer and mask settings for my hd partitions to the values mentioned above on this thread; Everything seems to work fine.
My current version of the Diskspeed program seems to be old, guess I' d better load the latest ( from Aminet !?).
Old 24 October 2019, 18:15   #26
macce2
Retro maniac

@AmigaHope

Did you mean using Changemempri program or something like that ?!

@All

The 16 Mb on A4000 mobo is a little faster than any z3 memory, however,
and for that reason, I'd prefer not to set the z3 memory for higher priority, even if Scsi performance would enhance a bit.
The A4000 memory is very slow anyway, if you do not have an accelerator board with memory.
However, I'm a little nervous because it seems that my system does handle all my z3 expansion memory as "one"; and does not separate the Fastlane card's memory (40 Mb) from the 256 Mb that's on my BigRamPlus card.
Would the only option to know those memory start & end addresses be removing one card and then reading the memory addresses/spaces with SysInfo or similar program ..?!
Generally, would it be possible to have some problems with expansion memory, if it was on different cards (and maybe there 's some difference on memory speeds etc (ns); between Fastlane card memory and BigRamPlus memory), even it is shown as one "chunk" to the system ?
I recently had an uninvited visitor; a yellow screen while playing Wendetta2175 (installed on hd) ..
Could that be sign of memory problem(-s) ?
Yeah, I do know; I should check all the connections etc. but could this be some kind of configuration problem ?
Fortunately,I haven't had the yellow screen very often on my system, after I replaced my old A3640 processor card with the new A3660 one.

Last edited by macce2; 24 October 2019 at 18:24.
Old 26 October 2019, 19:33   #27
Kin Hell

I forgot to mention an important thing RE the Z3 Fastlane....

V8.5 of the ROM is required for an 060 Based Amiga
Old 29 October 2019, 00:25   #28
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by macce2 View Post
@AmigaHope

Did you mean using Changemempri program or something like that ?!

@All

The 16 Mb on A4000 mobo is a little faster than any z3 memory, however,
and for that reason, I'd prefer not to set the z3 memory for higher priority, even if Scsi performance would enhance a bit.
The A4000 memory is very slow anyway, if you do not have an accelerator board with memory.
However, I'm a little nervous because it seems that my system does handle all my z3 expansion memory as "one"; and does not separate the Fastlane card's memory (40 Mb) from the 256 Mb that's on my BigRamPlus card.
Would the only option to know those memory start & end addresses be removing one card and then reading the memory addresses/spaces with SysInfo or similar program ..?!
Generally, would it be possible to have some problems with expansion memory, if it was on different cards (and maybe there 's some difference on memory speeds etc (ns); between Fastlane card memory and BigRamPlus memory), even it is shown as one "chunk" to the system ?
I recently had an uninvited visitor; a yellow screen while playing Wendetta2175 (installed on hd) ..
Could that be sign of memory problem(-s) ?
Yeah, I do know; I should check all the connections etc. but could this be some kind of configuration problem ?
Fortunately,I haven't had the yellow screen very often on my system, after I replaced my old A3640 processor card with the new A3660 one.
The cards don't show up separately in the AutoConfig list?