English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 17 September 2019, 17:29   #1
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Future of gaming - my rant about DLCs...

Last couple of games that I played (all Paradox games) I find myself stuck on the game and achievement, where you need license to get them all or for example in Surviving Mars - to terraform planet. (also achievements are attached to this)

Since all DLC cost more than what I paid for a game itself, there is little, to no chance that I will pay for any of them.

But, looking at this, it seems that this is what they (Paradox) are trying to do - spread as much of games as possible through bundles / sale and make money on DLCs.

How radical pricing of DLCs and amount of them is, just check how much would cost to purchase all their games with DLCs.

Old 17 September 2019, 22:45   #2
jmmijo

Indeed, I've seen more and more of this in the past couple of years, I think i'ts only going to get worse
Old 17 September 2019, 23:26   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah I sunk 160+ euros into Borderlands 2 because of all the DLC. Civilization 5 - probably around 70-80 bucks. I'll probably be looking at the same price tag for Civ 6.

But you know... I play these games for hundreds of hours (900+ hours in the case of BL2, ouch), I don't see it as money lost at all. The Paradox games don't have the same insane amount of replay value?
Old 18 September 2019, 16:52   #4
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Indeed, I've seen more and more of this in the past couple of years, I think i'ts only going to get worse
I agree, it is getting worse.

I don't mind if some game, for example Elite Dangerous, introduces cosmetics that you can get for your ship for premium, that offer no difference in gaming experience, except that your ship can look the way you wanted. But DLC that are equal in price to new game for season - that is a big NO for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah I sunk 160+ euros into Borderlands 2 because of all the DLC. Civilization 5 - probably around 70-80 bucks. I'll probably be looking at the same price tag for Civ 6.

But you know... I play these games for hundreds of hours (900+ hours in the case of BL2, ouch), I don't see it as money lost at all. The Paradox games don't have the same insane amount of replay value?
It is not issue if game have replay value or not, but that you are buying 'parts of the game' at the time

I can't remember how much I've paid for Core Contingency for Total Annihilation back in the day, but I am sure it was fraction of the price of new game.

IIRC I got BL2 with most of DLCs in bundle with BL1 and few other games for 10-12 bucks.

It seems this will be our gaming future...
Old 18 September 2019, 22:45   #5
spiff
Oh noes!

I love that you can buy the soundtrack as a DLC. But the whole release a beta as final, grind by design and games as a service really got me depressed. Star Wars battlefront was the final straw.

Then I got a refurbish ps4, sonys first party games on winter sale and realized that there are more good games out there then I have time to play anyway.

You can get a WiiU dirt cheap. Breath of the wild, Mario kart 8 multiplayer, Wind waker HD and Donkey Kong country, all of them are awesome (and complete games by design) .

All In all, I foresee a bright future for gaming, /r/patientgamers/ will probably have some more pointers.

Last edited by spiff; 18 September 2019 at 23:58. Reason: 10% less rant
Old 19 September 2019, 11:04   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
It is not issue if game have replay value or not, but that you are buying 'parts of the game' at the time
That's a mindset that'll make you unhappy for sure. The main story of any of the original three Borderlands games is more than adequate without any of the DLCs, they are all extras for people who can't get enough (like me). It's not all doom and gloom.

Civ 5... not so much, Firaxis are petty crooks when it comes to their DLCs, you need to pay for the game at least twice before it feels marginally complete. Civ 6 is no different, the base game has not nearly enough civs.
Old 19 September 2019, 22:01   #7
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Gimbal, it looks like you have mixed feelings about DLCs.

It would not be an issue if they sell DLC at some normal price, but price of full game for season and/or more than double for all of them... just bit too much IMHO.

ps. Funny, have BL2 installed for over a year, but never even tried it.
Old 23 September 2019, 06:01   #8
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Paid DLC has been around for years. I recall some of the best driving games, you had to pay stupid money for "Car packs" or even for individual cars.

Personally I've never fallen for it, but people like us are not the problem. Kids are. Kids spending mummy and daddy's money. (imho)

Fortnight has proven that even if the DLC (cosmetics) serve no purpose in terms of games mechanics, there is shed loads of money to be made, and I can't fathom why.

But yes, for game mechanics to be locked inside paid DLC is a scary scary shift.

Elite Dangerous did this though with the "Horizons" pack. Without this DLC (because that's what it is) you can't land on planets.

WTF?

Meanwhile Hello games continues to completely transform No Mans Sky, and release every single new feature FOR FREE. And they're an indie developer.

Crazy world.
Old 23 September 2019, 13:42   #9
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Elite Dangerous did this though with the "Horizons" pack. Without this DLC (because that's what it is) you can't land on planets.

WTF?
I think that Frontier learned from experience with Horizons, and since than they did not release 'paid' DLC, but you have tons of 'pay only' cosmetics now that you can apply to your ships. Apart from name tags, not interested in those, and got only cosmetics for 3 initial ships that was in commander pack that came with game bundle.

As for sim games with DLCs, aren't some fly simulators the same way - pay little to nothing for game, but to get planes, you have to purchase them. Same with guitar hero - iirc songs where more than $1k.

Just crazy gaming world...
Old 24 September 2019, 09:03   #10
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
I think that Frontier learned from experience with Horizons, and since than they did not release 'paid' DLC, but you have tons of 'pay only' cosmetics now that you can apply to your ships. Apart from name tags, not interested in those, and got only cosmetics for 3 initial ships that was in commander pack that came with game bundle.

As for sim games with DLCs, aren't some fly simulators the same way - pay little to nothing for game, but to get planes, you have to purchase them. Same with guitar hero - iirc songs where more than $1k.

Just crazy gaming world...
Well let's add into the discussion how these days there are little to no modding tools, killing the whole sub-culture of user generated content such as maps and expansions, and even Total Conversions.

To a point, I dont mind story expansions so long as the content is worth it and optional. It's like paying for a sequel, and it's not new either. We used to pay for Duke packs and Quake expansions etc.

To see "Requires original game" on a box in the stores was no unknown.

So that's not new.

But seems the COST and value for money has become unbalanced and for me that's the issue.

The game used to be the main investment, and expansions would cost LESS than the price of a full game (as it should be).

These days it seems the initial game is just a gateway drug.
Old 18 October 2019, 16:38   #11
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

After jmmijo told me that there is big Paradox sale, it was really interesting what they see as good price for a game on sale 50 and more percent...

3 games over 100 bucks for all DLCs even after 59% discount... there is your future of gaming...

What I don't get is that totals are not really that percentage from full price in list.

Last edited by Anubis; 18 October 2019 at 17:13.
Old 18 October 2019, 21:00   #12
jmmijo

Quote:
After jmmijo told me that there is big Paradox sale, it was really interesting what they see as good price for a game on sale 50 and more percent...

3 games over 100 bucks for all DLCs even after 59% discount... there is your future of gaming...

What I don't get is that totals are not really that percentage from full price in list.
Indeed but I still have to fill out my DLC wishlist
Old 18 October 2019, 21:06   #13
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Just get, if already did not, all the song for guitar hero.
Old 19 October 2019, 21:38   #14
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Imagine if there were DLC on Rick Dangerous for extra lives. I'd be bankrupt
Old 19 October 2019, 21:54   #15
Unkown
The Old Fart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I'll probably be looking at the same price tag for Civ 6.

No your kinda wrong, sound like your paying way way too much for your games and i have one good example not i have all most all the civ games on PC or i have them all kinda lost count these days. But as i said hear is a example.

Why pay so much for Civ 6 and if you shop around you can save a lot of efffing money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PYUp12T.png
Views:	19
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	64835  
Old 22 October 2019, 22:24   #16
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Why pay more, so he plays the game now??

Or he can just wait ~10 years and get it for few bucks... (isn't that price for complete Civ4 or Civ5 now when on sale?)

Probably because he can, he supports development of the game and makes lord Gaben more walthy, if that is even possible...