English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 May 2019, 19:28   #21
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Hopefully it will include microtransactions, where all health pickups will be removed and will pause the game when you die and ask for a mere 0.75c to keep going.
F OFF! I don't want that crap in videogames in any era, it's a disease these days!
Old 09 May 2019, 11:01   #22
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
F OFF! I don't want that crap in videogames in any era, it's a disease these days!
https://charlieintel.com/us-senator-...saction/54032/
Old 12 September 2019, 15:39   #23
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Bit late in this discussion, but just checking antstream and gut funny feeling like I did years ago with GOG.com and their services and later push against all sites that offer oldies that they sell.

Will 'play on antstream' replace download sites like it did with 'buy it on gog.com'?!?!

This is only reason I really dislike gog.com. If they left sites alone, sure, let anyone who want's to pay for 'easy button install' pay for it, but forcing everyone to purchase something... f - that.
Old 12 September 2019, 15:44   #24
Hewitson

Subscription service? What sort of moron would pay for this stuff when it can easily be found on the web for free?

I would be absolutely amazed if this business didn't end up being an epic failure. Then again, we all know how stupid people can be.
Old 12 September 2019, 15:50   #25
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Subscription service? What sort of moron would pay for this stuff when it can easily be found on the web for free?

I would be absolutely amazed if this business didn't end up being an epic failure. Then again, we all know how stupid people can be.
We asked the same question with gog.com back in the day, and look where are we today...

BTW, 005agima - nice article, but gog.com is also evil in this story, you just don't see it yet.
Old 12 September 2019, 23:20   #26
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Morons who like extreme convenience
Old 13 September 2019, 19:41   #27
jotd
This cat is no more

just saying: antstream has approached whdload team. Apparently they want to make those games available with the whdload enhancements. Which is good news.

We may even get some dough. Which would be good news too (I'm not going to quit my day job this week, though)
Old 13 September 2019, 19:43   #28
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

In that case, WHDownload.com might be first one to go, or have 'subscribe antstream' icon for all games that are offered on their platform.

Just talking from experience with gog.com.
Old 13 September 2019, 19:45   #29
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
In that case, WHDownload.com might be first one to go, or have 'subscribe antstream' icon for all games that are offered on their platform.

Just talking from experience with gog.com.
I don't see that happening as whdload don't provide the games just the loader to install them to a HD, although ain't most loaders done by the public so will they see any money for their work?
Old 13 September 2019, 19:47   #30
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I did not write whdload.de, did I?
Old 14 September 2019, 19:45   #31
DamienD
Global Moderator

Who uses www.whdownload.com these days?

It's hasn't been updated since 2010...

The latest WHDLoad installs are on the EAB File Server and are handled by Retroplay: Commodore_Amiga/Retroplay
Old 14 September 2019, 19:53   #32
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Who uses www.whdownload.com these days?

It's hasn't been updated since 2010...

The latest WHDLoad installs are on the EAB File Server and are handled by Retroplay: Commodore_Amiga/Retroplay
I do! Still very handy to get them quick and if you need the old versions ready to go.
Old 14 September 2019, 20:00   #33
DamienD
Global Moderator

I can understand using it for older versions; though the latest slaves have bugs fixed / trainers etc...

About getting them quickly; like it's sooooo much hassle to grab from the EAB File Server
Old 14 September 2019, 20:08   #34
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
I can understand using it for older versions; though the latest slaves have bugs fixed / trainers etc...

About getting them quickly; like it's sooooo much hassle to grab from the EAB File Server
There is an app and everything, just fire and forget and its done.
Old 14 September 2019, 20:36   #35
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma776 View Post
I don't see that happening as whdload don't provide the games just the loader to install them to a HD, although ain't most loaders done by the public so will they see any money for their work?
Well, the "public" is actually a small group of people from all over the world, most of those "public" are on this forum.

Maybe by the end of this week your question can be formerly answered
Old 15 September 2019, 22:35   #36
jotd
This cat is no more

setting up an emulator is an impossible task for some. An app which hides this complexity may allow more people to play Amiga oldies.

Most of the people here don't care because they know how to set up winuae/fsuae/...
Well, it doesn't matter much. Let's see how it turns out.
Old 18 September 2019, 16:10   #37
jamielemon
Zone Friend

Quote:

I actually can't work out how to use that from the links given above -
It seems to download some kind of installer program - which then asks for a separate login/password (I think) for FTP access -
To be honest , whdownload.com which lets you just search for the game you want and then download a file, is far more user friendly!
Old 18 September 2019, 16:32   #38
DamienD
Global Moderator

Yes, it's an FTP server but not difficult to login to. You just click on this link and the grab what you like; WHDLoad wise: Commodore_Amiga/Retroplay

You also have over 50 posts so can register an account for better speeds / an "Upload" folder: https://grandis.nu/eabadduser/

...or if you prefer using 9 year old slaves / installs then continue to use http://www.whdownload.com/
Old 18 September 2019, 16:33   #39
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
setting up an emulator is an impossible task for some. An app which hides this complexity may allow more people to play Amiga oldies.

Most of the people here don't care because they know how to set up winuae/fsuae/...
Well, it doesn't matter much. Let's see how it turns out.
I don't have a problem with that, but if they start shutting down downloads because they have game in their collection, than - hell no, thank you.

Just imagine icon - 'play on Antstream' as ONLY option on sites like this, that were already kicked by gog....

I used to buy games on gog.com, but since they started with this, I quickly opted out from paying for ANYTHING on gog.com. I will not support organization like that.
Old 19 September 2019, 16:31   #40
SyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Well, the "public" is actually a small group of people from all over the world, most of those "public" are on this forum.
Well, i am one of this "public small group" and i have not been contacted at all.

Sure, my slaves are not the most interesting, spanish fiction interactive games and a few bug fixes in a few random slaves. But i am not giving my permission to use them in a retrogaming streaming service, because those kind of services are a threat against our hobby.

First, i don't think that a retrogaming streaming service is a bad idea per se, although i prefer infinitely more quality physical releases as "SNK 40th Anniversary"; bring me more like this, but with Amiga games and i will buy ALL.

But this project "anststream", that they call the "netflix of retrograming", is based in a technology similar to the Google Stadia and other game streaming services, that means you are using a video player that answer a keyboard/joystick events and the games only live in the company servers.

For me the problem is not the latency problem or that a 512 KBs game now is going to use gigabytes of video streaming. The thing is worrying me is about what is going to happen with all the sites that are storing the work that this community has been making along those years in preservation, patching and documentation of games and the rest of the software...

And this is the most important part of the fun that this hobby brings to me, and because that i am getting very pessimistic about the future of retrogaming with the rising of services like this.

One thing, the excuse about emulators are difficult to use or configure is BULLSHIT. If you are interested in something, at least you could take the time of trying to understand it, read manuals and ask for help in the forums.

And if after all that, somebody thinks that emulators are impossible to use, well i offer my time to make a package that is easy to use for that person.

But use that excuse for justify those services is totally wrong, it is the same that if i say that i want to play a musical instrument, but instead of getting lessons and work hard trying to learn... the solution is to put an mp3 player inside of the musical instrument and click a button :P

Sorry, if you want to destroy the future of our hobby, go ahead, but not me.