English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Modules

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06 August 2019, 16:23   #1
Nova
Registered User

Nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peristaltic City
Posts: 278
mod renamer?

anyone knows if there exist a tool for renaming amiga mods: ext.xy ---> artist - title.ext?
Nova is offline  
Old 06 August 2019, 16:38   #2
chip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Italy
Age: 45
Posts: 1,397
Is the artist info inside the mod ?
chip is offline  
Old 06 August 2019, 17:17   #3
Nova
Registered User

Nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peristaltic City
Posts: 278
perhaps, there is mods containing metadata (title).
Nova is offline  
Old 06 August 2019, 17:35   #4
jotd
This cat is no more
jotd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: FRANCE
Age: 48
Posts: 3,303
I think I can write one in python in a few minutes (with the proper mod format). This tool could even run on amiga since python (old but functional) exists...
jotd is offline  
Old 06 August 2019, 18:03   #5
Axxy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 133
How do you propose to add artist info if there is none?

I think there was an .exe called mod-renamer somewhere, either AMP or on Modland that would do something similar by taking the internal name (if it had one), but not the artist name. Might be PC util, not sure about Amiga.

Only other way might be to use a multi-rename tool such as the one in TotalCommander, I'm sure there is a standalone version that does the same thing. Artist name I have to add manually, but the rest is easy to do..
Axxy is offline  
Old 06 August 2019, 18:22   #6
Nova
Registered User

Nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peristaltic City
Posts: 278
@jotd:

@axxy: a creatio ex nihil... no, just kidding. of course, somewhere the info needs be fetched...

i am sure you know a lot better than me, but how about adjusting a database that already exists and collecting the needed infos from that source - like kestra? should not be impossible and probably a hell lot of work but maybe worth a thought?
Nova is offline  
Old 06 August 2019, 18:51   #7
daxb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,391
You never will get 100% correct results. How to get the correct artist name from a mod where is no name or two or more names?! You could use the AMP database for example but that is also not 100% correct.

Another question is, why do you want to rename mods?
daxb is offline  
Old 06 August 2019, 19:18   #8
jotd
This cat is no more
jotd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: FRANCE
Age: 48
Posts: 3,303
I see a reason: so extension is always ".mod"... handy to play on PC with VLC.

A quick start in python (paste than in a .py file and pass directory to rename as sole argument). I made that simplistic so it can be pasted and everyone can understand.

Code:
import fnmatch,os,sys

directory = sys.argv[1]
for module in os.listdir(directory):
    if fnmatch.fnmatch(module,"mod.*"):
        new_name = module[4:]+".mod"
        os.rename(os.path.join(directory,module),os.path.join(directory,new_name))
that changes mod.xxx in xxx.mod in the specified directory.

for author name, it would require opening the file in binary mode, get the proper offset/tag and add it to the new name
jotd is offline  
Old 06 August 2019, 19:30   #9
Nova
Registered User

Nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peristaltic City
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
You never will get 100% correct results.
true - however, a certain amount of tracks could be addressed this way for sure.

reasons? - hey, i am just a daydreamer...

well, some (non amiga) players do not accept file-extensions in first place, even though they do support mod-playback. and it is also practical and aesthetical reasons, better accessibility to your mod collection, grouping, sorting all kinds of stuff.

an even more utopic aim: building a corrected amiga mods collection on the long run (incl. proper songlenghts via database with exotic formats).

i forgot about the most important feature: actually find the mod you are looking for in a bunch of hundreds. try this with a ext.xy mod...

Last edited by Nova; 06 August 2019 at 19:40.
Nova is offline  
Old 06 August 2019, 19:40   #10
Axxy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 133
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I see a reason: so extension is always ".mod"... handy to play on PC with VLC.
I think only AMP contains mod.name for the most part or Aminet, I always use TC to switch the extension for PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova
but how about adjusting a database that already exists
How much mod info are you talking about? A full blown database of everything about an individual mod or more a summary of an individual mod? ie/ author/mod name/format etc?

How about using a playlist (say from xmplay) and exported to html, no idea if it could be done with 10s of thousands of mods without crashing.

Saga-Musix over at ModArchive has a Module Library (v1 & v2) program on his website https://sagagames.de/?programm=modlib, kind of a standalone program but does practically almost all formats. Again, both PC programs.

If anything, I would say that there is no definitive database yet, I'm still finding incorrect data from mods that are over 20 years old.
Axxy is offline  
Old 06 August 2019, 19:49   #11
Nova
Registered User

Nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peristaltic City
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxy View Post
How much mod info are you talking about?
the more the better, but keeping things simple and minimal for the start, artist and title would be very cool indeed, don't you think?

@jotd: you made the first step, cool cat
Nova is offline  
Old 06 August 2019, 20:58   #12
chip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Italy
Age: 45
Posts: 1,397
Building a corrected amiga mods collection is a great project .... are you going to do that Nova ?
chip is offline  
Old 06 August 2019, 22:27   #13
Nova
Registered User

Nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peristaltic City
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Building a corrected amiga mods collection is a great project .... are you going to do that Nova ?
no, because others started doing so long ago - but gathering ideas and improving things at fractions is not so bad either.
Nova is offline  
Old 06 August 2019, 23:31   #14
daxb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,391
I'm not sure if all artist would agree if you rename their mods and make it public somewhere. In private you can do what you want of course. However, I don't see a need for it. Maybe work for years or decades.

What about of sorting by artist named directories? Then you don't need to add artist name to mod name. I think this is easier and also easy to find.
daxb is offline  
Old 07 August 2019, 00:07   #15
Axxy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I'm not sure if all artist would agree if you rename their mods and make it public somewhere. In private you can do what you want of course. However, I don't see a need for it. Maybe work for years or decades.

What about of sorting by artist named directories? Then you don't need to add artist name to mod name. I think this is easier and also easy to find.
Tbh, I don't care about naming conventions. When you have a few hundred/thousand mods it's not much of an issue. But when it's in the 100,000+ across many formats, the old filenames are a complete nightmare.

abc.mod or mod.abc tells you nothing. What happens when you have 3 or 4 or more with that filename. Way back I decided to use artist_modname.ext. I structured my folders 0-9, A1,A2,B1 etc and added more when needed, and I also kept the folders at around CD size. With HD space now, I just backup to external drive when I need to. Think most naming conventions nowadays are artist_-_mod_name.ext.

As for a DB, I attached an image of my database which I store in Excel, did try to import to Access but it couldn't handle that many entries. I use an old plug-in for 32bit Totalcommder that just about handles old tracker files (not all) to grab the info before importing it into Excel, works for me but it's a bit of a chore to do. There is an old copy on AMP's website in the download section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MOD-DB.png
Views:	68
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	64007  
Axxy is offline  
Old 07 August 2019, 01:51   #16
daxb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,391
Yes, the bigger the collection becomes, the more problems you get. There are several reasons why you cannot build a good database because the source mod can be everything or nothing. Many releases without information. Artists with equal names or several different names. Ripped mods and so on. You know it.
daxb is offline  
Old 07 August 2019, 12:56   #17
Nova
Registered User

Nova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Peristaltic City
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
I'm not sure if all artist would agree if you rename their mods and make it public somewhere.
a proper naming scheme won't harm or discredit any artist, in fact it is the very reverse, so your point is rather difficult for me to follow. implementation or the pure significance of starting this for a limited set of files (due to lack of information) is another story, of course.

Quote:
What about of sorting by artist named directories? Then you don't need to add artist name to mod name. I think this is easier and also easy to find.
this is actually the workaround when sorting my cluttered mods, collected over the past years and also the reason for asking here. for now, i try to focus on my favourite mods only, gathering infos & renaming them accordingly in a sepparate folder one by one for better accessibility.

@axxy: mod-db picture looks very neat. need to check for a possible equivalent plugin for linux filemanagers.
Nova is offline  
Old 07 August 2019, 12:58   #18
Axxy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Yes, the bigger the collection becomes, the more problems you get. There are several reasons why you cannot build a good database because the source mod can be everything or nothing. Many releases without information. Artists with equal names or several different names. Ripped mods and so on. You know it.
Dupes, bad rips, and lost info still to this day keep appearing and I'm constantly editing and updating stuff.

Just to highlight this,
https://amp.dascene.net/forum/index....pic,858.0.html.

This mod surfaced a month or so ago from a production from 1992. Turns out we've all had this for quite some time, me about 27 years apparently under a different name. Still waiting to see if Asle reads the post and add a comment. Wonder if Dizzy is still contactable?
Axxy is offline  
Old 07 August 2019, 13:13   #19
daxb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,391
@Axxy:
I follow AMP forum and have read that thread. So I know your problems. Hence it is a work/profession for life.
daxb is offline  
Old 07 August 2019, 13:13   #20
Axxy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
@axxy: mod-db picture looks very neat. need to check for a possible equivalent plugin for linux filemanagers.
What I want is a Playlist editor in the style of what Winamp did with MP3s. Something that could get metadata from the mods themselves. Unfortunately there would be a lot of empty space as many mods contain no information or credits, but an absolutely massive database with the data it could get, but something that could get the main module info into some structure for a database and export it.

The closest thing we got is the Library window in XMPlay and the Database functions of Module Library, but no export options and 2 instead of 1 program to do all.
Axxy is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dr fonk modules moonbeam.mod abudhabi.mod redblade request.Modules 8 28 October 2017 14:30
Amiga 1200 Mod II (the CD Mod) nightfear Hardware mods 4 06 June 2014 20:21
Amiga 1200 Mod I (the CF Mod) nightfear Hardware mods 2 06 June 2014 09:19
Hippel mod to Future Composer mod Carlos Ace request.Modules 1 07 November 2002 17:28

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09429 seconds with 16 queries