English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 June 2019, 20:48   #1
EchoesFox

GVP A2000-HC+2 and WB 3.1 upgrade advice

After letting things sit for a bit I was able to get my Amiga 2000 working again. I've got it running with a Gotek, 68010 CPU, and a 213MB Maxtor SCSI hard disk connected to a GVP Impact A2000-HC+2 controller.

The controller card is just a little funny. It has the original 1.0 ROMs on it and doesn't autoboot with Kickstart 1.3. I can use a boot floppy image on the Gotek drive after moving J4 on the board, but must use control-Amiga-Amiga to reboot once after trying lo load the drivers for the HD to be detected. It doesn't matter how long the machine has been running or how many reboots have been done, but it will always fail on the first attempt to load the SCSI drivers. After failing once, then restarting the Amiga everything works fine until you shut off the power.

Has anyone else encountered similar behavior from this card before, and did upgrading to newer (3.15) roms fix it?

Also, I have a Kickstart 3.1 ROM ready to install, and wish to use Workbench 3.1, but the boot disks/driver disks for this card are using Workbench 1.3. Has anyone else made a WB 3.1 boot disk that will work with this card in a similar fashion? I don't have access to anything that I can use to just burn new EPROMs for the card at this time.
Old 28 June 2019, 22:17   #2
mark_k

It's been a while since I looked at the code of the V1.0 GVP ROM so some of this might not be 100% correct.

Which version of the SCSI driver (e.g. gvpscsi) do you have on your boot floppy?
How did you partition/install the hard drive?

The V1.0 ROM is based on a different "interpretation" of the RDB spec (or maybe on an early version of it). Basically, you need to partition/install the HD using the V1.0 GVP prep software to be able to autoboot using the V1.0 ROM. You won't be able to autoboot from an HD which was installed using any other program (HDToolBox, FaastPrep etc.). And conversely, an installed-with-1.0-software HD won't boot with later (gvpscsi) ROM.

If you're not able to buy/burn gvpscsi 3.15 EPROM(s), I suggest you use a boot floppy for the time being, and disable the card's on-board (V1.0) ROM.

Once you've partitioned & installed the HD, your boot floppy just needs to mount the HD partitions and pass control to the startup-sequence on your HD boot partition.

WinUAE supports GVP controller emulation, so you could experiment with different boot ROMs and see if you can get things working in emulation before doing the same thing with your real hardware.
Old 28 June 2019, 23:20   #3
EchoesFox

When I open up sysinfo, it appears that the driver that is currently being loaded into memory is "scsidev V3.0" instead of gvpscsi.

I used the installer disk "GVP-SeriesI_v1.3.dms" from the Amiga Hardware Database page about the card to set up the drive.

It's all partitioned as one big drive currently. (Funny story about that, it was refusing to let me set it up as 20mb for WB and the rest as a work drive after it had already been set up that way.)

Depending on the cost I'm not opposed to buying a couple EPROMs + a cheap programmer off of Amazon.
Old 28 June 2019, 23:32   #4
Orcish75

Mark_K is the resident GVP ROM Guru. He split the original V3.15 (single chip) ROM into two (odd and even) a few years ago, so that GVP Series 1 owners (who don't have the upgraded PAL) could take advantage of the significant improvements that the V3.15 ROM brings to the table.

It converts your A2000-HC+2 from almost unusable to a really decent card. You can use drives larger than 1GB, add any file system to the RBD, use CD-ROM drives and you can use HDToolBox to partition the drive rather than the GVP V1.0 faaastprep software. If I remember correctly, the V1.0 ROMs only work with OFS and the GVP V1.0 Faaastprep disk.

If you're going to use a Kickstart V3.1 ROM and Workbench 3.1, the GVP 3.15 ROMS is a must. Definitely back up your hard drive before attempting to change the GVP or Kickstart ROMs. Also, remove that battery from the A2000 motherboard if you haven't done so already, to prevent it from leaking acid and damaging the motherboard.

Your V1.0 ROMs might also be failing as the expected data retention of EPROMs is in the region of 20 years.

Here are a couple of links that discusses the split 3.15 ROM that Mark_K created.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77199

https://forum.amiga.org/index.php?topic=68830.0
Old 29 June 2019, 14:58   #5
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoesFox View Post
When I open up sysinfo, it appears that the driver that is currently being loaded into memory is "scsidev V3.0" instead of gvpscsi.

I used the installer disk "GVP-SeriesI_v1.3.dms" from the Amiga Hardware Database page about the card to set up the drive.
Ah right. The scsidev driver on that disk (in the Expansion drawer) is the same version 1.1.6 as in the V1.0 ROM. Best to forget about using the old scsidev.device.

So:
- If you have any files you want to keep, copy them off the HD (mounted using the Series I disk i.e. scsidev.device).
- Disable or remove the 1.0 ROM on your board.
- Boot the Series II disk and partition/install the HD using that instead.

The Series II disk gvp.impact.seriesii.DMS is linked to from this amiga.resource.cx page.

[Technically, it is possible to manually edit the old-style RDB so you could keep using your existing partitions with gvpscsi 3.15. But if you don't already know what you're doing it's a bit complicated to explain how.]
Old 29 June 2019, 14:59   #6
mark_k

By the way, what is the model number of the Maxtor hard drive?
Old 29 June 2019, 22:22   #7
EchoesFox

It's a Maxtor LXT213SY. I happened to have it sitting in a Sparcstation IPC that hasn't been switched on since the mid 90s. Had to track down the resistors for it, they were missing. (?!)

I changed the Kickstart chip last night. Looks like when I boot from a WB3.1 floppy that uses the original driver, the drive still functions the same way, bad behavior included. Booting from a WB3.1 floppy with the new driver seems to detect the drive properly on first boot, so I'm definitely going to wipe the drive and set it up again with the newer software, and look into getting 3.15 on EPROMs so I can eventually autoboot.

Orcish75: The battery already leaked while the previous owner's late father had it in storage. Thankfully the damage wasn't severe and avoided the sockets. First thing I did was remove that battery.
Old 30 June 2019, 00:48   #8
Hewitson

Make sure you neutralise the acid from the battery or it will continue to damage the board.
Old 30 June 2019, 00:59   #9
EchoesFox

Took care of that too after removing the battery of course.