English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 05 January 2019, 10:39   #1
honx

after upgrade to amiga forever 8: rom corrupt

after upgrading to amiga forever 8 today i can't launch any emulation.
everything quits with an error:
Quote:
WinUAE message:
System ROM checksum incorrect. The system ROM image file may be corrupt.
how can i fix that?

and again the old rule strikes: "NEVER TOUCH A RUNNING SYSTEM!"
Old 05 January 2019, 10:55   #2
thomas

Check that rom.key file is in the same directory as the .rom files and that the versions of .key and .rom match. Use "rescan ROMs" in WinUAE.
Old 05 January 2019, 11:09   #3
honx

for the time being i made a backup of the "new" rom folder of af8 in documents/amiga files/roms.
then i copied over rom folder from amiga forever 7 dvd. now configurations are working again.
but external configs using cloanto roms now have a nasty popup window:
Quote:
Stand-alone playback of the selected content is not enabled. You may want to retry from inside a supported player. You can upgrade at any time to unlock all the features of the Plus Edition.
really?!? i always gave money to cloanto for one main reason: being allowed to use rom files legally.
and NOW they want to force using that player? seriously?
waiting for an answer from cloanto. if this issue doesn't get fixed, then i'll have to rollback to af7.
this "upgrade" life time bundle was a completely waste of money, if things stay how they are now.
Old 05 January 2019, 13:39   #4
honx

i even get this annoying message, if i do NOT use anything (rom files, ...) from cloanto!
just tested with other kickstart roms which are located on commodore blackzone bbs cd.
cd contains original commodore files, sold by former commodore employee rainer benda.
external (non-cloanto) configurations including external (non-cloanto) hardfiles are mine.
I set it up using original amigaos from ORIGINAL HAAGE & PARTNER amigaos 3.9 cdrom.
also my external (non-cloanto) configurations were done by myself, NOT done by cloanto!!!
for non-cloanto configs rom files were the ONE AND ONLY thing i EVER used from cloanto!
even for os3.1/2.0 i used contents of my original 3.1 FLOPPY DISKS which i have converted to .adf file!
they came from commodore, NOT cloanto! i used cloanto roms, i paid money for, for being on legal side.
and winuae emulation software belongs to toni wilen, who is NOT an employee at cloanto, as far i know...
so, WITHOUT using ANY content from cloanto, i'm still bothered with this silly amiga forever message!!!
seriously?!? what's the fcking point of that?!?

Last edited by honx; 05 January 2019 at 13:59.
Old 05 January 2019, 14:23   #5
DamienD
Banned

Why not just use WinUAE only and forget about Amiga Forever then?
Old 05 January 2019, 14:30   #6
honx

if i really make that decision, then i'll have wasted for example 55€ today for that lifetime upgrade bundle...
and sometimes i use cloanto configs, using amiga forever player, for example "first demos" for boing ball.
but with these cloanto configrations i don't work (no everyday use) nor doing anything more than testing.
because these ones get overwritten everytime i update/upgrade amiga forever, so changes are pointless...

Last edited by honx; 05 January 2019 at 14:38.
Old 05 January 2019, 14:48   #7
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

It's not only a waste of money for their DRM-encumbered crap which as you have noticed doesn't work properly, but it also funds their ongoing destruction of the platform via lawsuits, so yes, you definitely made a mistake by buying it I'm afraid.
Old 05 January 2019, 16:18   #8
honx

now i also changed all paths, so no path is pointing to amiga forever folder, and i did a rescan for roms.
and still this annoying amiga forever message pops up. and still no answer from cloanto...
Old 05 January 2019, 19:08   #9
dexterav

i am afraid we bought big shit and no lifetime upgrade
after 10x rescan i just remove all cloanto shit and all be ok again even rom
Old 05 January 2019, 21:55   #10
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

It's maybe because they know it will take them a lot of time to fix all the issues they have added in trying to "lock" the ROMs with "their" product that they sell a lifetime update

Joke aside, they need nobody else to :
They're definitely not like good wine. They do not improve with age...

@honx : When companies go to court, like Cloanto actually, they need cash. I hope to be wrong but in the meantime I believe it's one of the reasons they have made a "special offer" with a higher price... .
Better to wait before buying anything from this company until the case has been decided.
Anyway, hope you will receive an answer after the week-end, on monday. Let us know.

One question @honx : Maybe I missed it but having a quick look at the new features, I did not see any improvement on the AmigaOS side. (1.x, 2.x, 3.x). Everything looks related to emulator "bug" fixes or better coexistence with Windows 10...
Would you mind confirm/invalidate ?
Old 05 January 2019, 22:21   #11
honx

i think, you're right. i also did not find any new features regarding AmigaOS in version 8.
that lifetime-offer got me, never having to pay again for any amiga/c64 forever update...
and to be honest, i give a sht about its windows 10 integration, i'm still usung windows 7.
i hate that sniffing windows 10 with its forced updates you can't fend off...
Old 06 January 2019, 00:15   #12
thomas

You created that mess yourself and not you blame other people for your inability?

You cannot replace parts of Amiga Forever by older pieces and expect it to accept that.

It has been this way since more than 10 years.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=70344
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=274686#post274686
Old 06 January 2019, 00:33   #13
honx

what else should i have done? *new* amiga forever 8 roms are corrupt, NOT WORKING!
old amiga forever 7 rom files are working in opposite to corrupt amiga forever 8 rom files.
as far i know: the only thing changede in rom files was their checksum, nothing else.
and as i said, it was ONLY the NOT WORKING rom files which i replaced.
because with amiga forever 8 rom files simply NOTHING WORKS.

your first link doesn't clearly say, to what i'm supposed to rename amigaforever.dll file.
and i don't have "permission" to display your second link, so no clue what's in there...
Quote:
honx, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
you could quote it's contents here as you obviously have more rights than me on eab...

Last edited by honx; 06 January 2019 at 00:41.
Old 06 January 2019, 02:00   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honx View Post
and i don't have "permission" to display your second link, so no clue what's in there...
That's because it's a very old / private section for WinUAE beta testers back in the day i.e. private : WinUAE beta release

...it hasn't be used in many, many years; since "14 November 2006" to be exact.

Quote:
you could quote it's contents here as you obviously have more rights than me on eab...
Here you go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
I still experience the same ROM issues as before: if AF2006 is installed, only AF2006 ROMs work, ROMs of all other versions of AF don't work.

And now it's really strange: I used Windows search function to find all occurences of rom.key on my HDD and I renamed all of them to _rom.old, so that WinUAE does not find it. *But* AF2006 ROMs still work if they are taken from Gemeinsame Dateien\Amiga Dateien\System\rom, even though there is no longer a rom.key file anywhere. AF ROMs in any other directory are not detected, no matter if there is a rom.key file or not.

I checked if they are encrypted and they are, so it seems that WinUAE has rom.key built-in for AF2006 and ignores any other rom.key file in any other location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
amigaforever.dll somewhere in dll search path? (still don't have af2006 installed so i am not sure if this is included) Amigaforever.dll is supported by winuae and can also be used to decrypt af roms.

There is no built-in decryption. In theory it would be quite easy to brute-force it anyway.. but lets not talk about that
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Ok, now it's understandable. I didn't know of amigaforever.dll. If amigaforever.dll is present, the rom.key files are ignored alltogether. And amigaforever.dll of AF2006 does not support any other version of AF. If I rename amigaforever.dll, everything works as expected (rom.key file is taken from the same directory as the rom file).

Well, there is another issure (not ROM-related): using a HDF in RDB mode, a FFS partition is not mounted if there are other file systems in the RDB but not FFS (using Kick 3.1 which has FFS in ROM). The FFS partition is mounted correctly if there are no file systems in the RDB at all. And it's also mounted correctly if FFS is in the RDB together with other file systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Ok. hmm.. Key handling clearly needs some redesign because I didn't know AF2006 will have new key when I implemented this..
Old 06 January 2019, 10:29   #15
honx

i don't know, what the tool i got from mike from cloanto did, but it seems to have fixed it.
now original amiga forever 8 rom files are restored to where they belong and it's working.
here's the funny part. it's the same files which did not work yesterday, which i backed up!
and of course, this annoying "stand-alone" message is now gone also...
Old 06 January 2019, 15:40   #16
dexterav

maybe update repair this but i didnt care anymore
fact is roms from Cloanto 8 work but only without cloatno, clearly its DRM
i delete this cloanto crap forever/lifetime i supose
Old 08 January 2019, 09:45   #17
Hewitson

Quote:
i don't know, what the tool i got from mike from cloanto did, but it seems to have fixed it.
now original amiga forever 8 rom files are restored to where they belong and it's working.
here's the funny part. it's the same files which did not work yesterday, which i backed up!
Can you share the tool? It could be interesting to disassemble it.
Old 08 January 2019, 10:21   #18
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
I am happy it's working now.
As a side mote, in regard in how suspicious you are concerning a lot of things, I am a bit surprised that you executed a program without knowing what is going to happen in your system.
So, not even a note/readme was sent to you?
Old 08 January 2019, 11:32   #19
honx

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
As a side mote, in regard in how suspicious you are concerning a lot of things, I am a bit surprised that you executed a program without knowing what is going to happen in your system.
tool came directly from cloanto, who are not an unknown source. so there was no reason for me to expect something like malware...
as it came from cloanto i simply expected it to be some developer tool to find or fix problems regarding their product amiga forever.

Last edited by honx; 08 January 2019 at 12:25.
Old 08 January 2019, 13:10   #20
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
tool came directly from cloanto, who are not an unknown source. so there was no reason for me to expect something like malware... [...]
Damn... not the meaning of my side note
Quote:
[...] as it came from cloanto i simply expected it to be some developer tool to find or fix problems regarding their product amiga forever.
Of course and I would have been happy also at your place. No, I was asking if really you didn't asked further informations from Mike before running the app, like : "Of course I want the product I bought to be functional, but what is 'doing' the app you sent me ? " and he could have answered : "It search for ... and ... bla bla bla...". Such simple things in fact