English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 19 April 2008, 21:58   #21
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

thanks cammy for your comment, it shows that support coders have an interest, happy to hear that from a game creator .
Thank you to continue to make games on amiga
Old 19 April 2008, 22:18   #22
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Great news Cammy! Thanks for the enthusiasm!
Old 20 April 2008, 06:14   #23
Cammy

Here's Underground Arcade's new homepage/blog. Keep an eye out for updates on all our game projects from time to time, we'll try and keep the community informed on our status.

http://undergroundarcade.blogspot.com/
Old 20 April 2008, 12:19   #24
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Designed to take advantage of the AGA chipset, Annhilation features loads of colours, parallax scrolling, intelligent enemy waves, awesome power-ups, huge mid-level and end-of-level guardians, a thumping electronic soundtrack, upgradeable weapons, meaty sound effects, and a progressive storyline that unfolds as you play.
Hmm, no pressure then
Old 20 April 2008, 13:02   #25
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Here's Underground Arcade's new homepage/blog. Keep an eye out for updates on all our game projects from time to time, we'll try and keep the community informed on our status.

incredible, the best news for a long time thank you cammy, and thank you underground arcade
Old 20 April 2008, 21:36   #26
frikilokooo

I'm creating a small blog to support the present projects and the most recent games like EOB AGA or DOTT.

http://frikiloko.blogspot.com/

The blog just is begun,I will improve its look.
Old 20 April 2008, 21:41   #27
Graham Humphrey

Cool, I'll be keeping an eye on that, good work.
Old 26 April 2008, 02:44   #28
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post

All my hopes are on your shoulders
How do you think to sell your products ?
Happy to see you have updated the webpage
Old 26 April 2008, 10:28   #29
Cammy

Most likely we will set up a Paypal/Download deal. Some games will be free, others we may charge for if they're really good or if we had to spend money on them to make them (like hiring pixel artists). I think half of us at Underground Arcade are otherwise unemployed, or at least don't earn much for a living, so donations will be very welcome.

We do intend on making retail versions of some of our games, which will hopefully be boxed (in some sort of budget packaging), most likely using a burnt or printed CD (for CD32 versions) or floppies, if we can get a good supply of Double Density disks. Ideally, the retail version would include more than the download version, like a pin-up or some stickers. For these, we will probably sell them through an eBay Shop, which of course will be linked from our site. This way we can reach a larger audience, since eBay is the World's Marketplace But I think more people would find out about the game if it was sold brand new on eBay, there are many retro collectors out there searching for Amiga stuff on there all the time.
Old 26 April 2008, 11:14   #30
frikilokooo

I think that the idea of games boxed is cool,I would buy itIf that is not possible a Paypal/Download deal to support your work it is fine too.
Old 26 April 2008, 23:07   #31
Siggy999

Digital purchase and transfer is the way to go for anybody starting up.

Packaging - boxes - disks - printed manuals - cover art - shipping and handling - they all add up costs that not only have to be passed on (and I know some people are more than happy to pay that extra cost for nice packaging) - it *FIRST* has to be laid down by the people putting out the game, and thats a huge risk for a fledgling group.

Through my work I have access to a transfer house - and have to use them fairly regularly for the same kind of thing (bulk DVD presentation packages for some clients) - small run orders, the cost is too much to even think about, even bulk orders aren't a cost I'd want to gamble on just starting out.

'But you can do it at home.. label and print yourself!' I hear you cry....
Printer ink very quickly adds up - as do label and paper costs - so go to the local Kinko's or OS equiv. for copying - again.... starts to add up with small runs again. Do I order in lots of 100 and lose my hat, or have something too expensive to break even - or do I order 1000 - hope for the best, and end up with 900 copies in my garage....
Even cost wise - I'd certainly take a risk and show some support for a budding developer with a $5 - $10 shareware cost.... and if the game/app sucked... I wouldn't feel TOO bad about it. Maybe the next update/product will be a lil better.
If I payed $30 bucks plus $10 - $15 shipping and handling and it was crap, I'd feel a little jaded about buying more stuff from the same folks.

And of course there is the bigger question: How would you prefer to see any remaining Amiga Developers out there spend time..... stuffing envelopes, or coding games/apps? At this level, and at this time, chances are person you are contacting with an order is the same person who wrote the software...

There aren't really any publishing houses left to 'pick up' games and distribute - the current Amiga market seems to be pretty much on the net nowadays, so it's a smart way to go for the 'bedroom game company'.
You can buy a game from the otherside of the globe, and be playing it in under 10 minutes!

Last Amiga related convo I had in real life was spent laughing about the days when 2-3 guys could get together after school and start a 'games company' and how nowadays it's all big names.....
...in hindsight I think the indy game writer has more tools at his disposal, and more power to make things happen than ever before.