English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 February 2024, 21:04   #21
xc8
no c= no fun

Just in case a failing PSU cap might perform slightly better when warm.
Old 29 February 2024, 15:40   #22
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc8 View Post
Just in case a failing PSU cap might perform slightly better when warm.
OK that's fair, and I am in no position to discard any possibility, but the picoPSU has been tested, so it's very probably not that.

I've been exchanging mails with the creator of Fúria and he did note something interesting about the Kickstart ROM (not as much the version):
Quote:
The original Kickstart ROM has a different internal resistance on the data bus than the EPROM, if the circuit heats up it will settle to operating temperature. This can cause the system to crash.
If the (CPU) socket was bad, it is exactly the opposite. The Amiga works, after warming up the socket expands and creates a cold junction and the system crashes.
I noticed the following, although the system does take about 5 minutes to settle in without crashes, if I try to use shadowrom after that period, I can still make it get red screens for a bit longer. After about 25 minutes of being on, I can shadowrom without problems.

So this COULD be the problem after all but only because I don't have an EPROM? However, derSammler said they're using their original 2.05 ROM in their system, so that makes me confused too. I know each Amiga can be a world on its own, but this is rare.

As it is I am still a bit confused, I will try to source a 3.1 ROM and do more tests but I really don't want to have to return this, especially after seeing how the shop has decided to treat me just for sending a few questions.
Old 29 February 2024, 15:53   #23
derSammler

Quote:
The original Kickstart ROM has a different internal resistance on the data bus than the EPROM, if the circuit heats up it will settle to operating temperature. This can cause the system to crash.
If the (CPU) socket was bad, it is exactly the opposite. The Amiga works, after warming up the socket expands and creates a cold junction and the system crashes.
Something must be lost in translation, because that makes no sense at all. What EPROM is he refering to? And why would the internal resistance compared to an original Kickstart ROM matter?

Also, the socket is made of plastic. Metal expands with heat, not plastic. His logic is very wrong here. Both metal contacts of the CPU and inside the socket will expand with heat, pressing them tighter to each other - NOT the opposite.

Btw, this is my Furia setup. Running since 2017.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	web_P3101373.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	81740  
Old 29 February 2024, 16:01   #24
xc8
no c= no fun

Quote:
but the picoPSU has been tested
ah ok then, I thought you had the original PSU.

Quote:
So this COULD be the problem after all but only because I don't have an EPROM? However, derSammler said they're using their original 2.05 ROM in their system, so that makes me confused too. I know each Amiga can be a world on its own, but this is rare.
last week due to some EPROM 'cooking' I had the 2.05 installed as well on my A600, no issues, it worked as before. Anyway my setup is a bit different than yours: it's the v1.5 with a modded CISCO PSU - btw the furia is the 'white PCB' one, firmware: 14.3 .
Old 29 February 2024, 22:14   #25
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by derSammler View Post
Something must be lost in translation, because that makes no sense at all. What EPROM is he refering to? And why would the internal resistance compared to an original Kickstart ROM matter?

Also, the socket is made of plastic. Metal expands with heat, not plastic. His logic is very wrong here. Both metal contacts of the CPU and inside the socket will expand with heat, pressing them tighter to each other - NOT the opposite.
I have no idea. What am I supposed to do in this situation? It's what the card's creator said and I have no knowledge to refute it. I pasted it verbatim.
It's really disheartening. Makes you not want to spend on Amiga developments ever again. The shop is being rather not nice in me having sent a question and allege their tone is because of mental health issues and I don't want to send back a card half way across the world to be told nothing is wrong with it and get it sent back untouched while I paid premium x2 for shipping, point at which I might as well have bought the xT accelerator or just not bothered with this Amiga shit at all.

I have taken out and cleaned the ROM chip and put it back in, the machine still behaves the same way. I don't have a 3.1 ROM lying around to check out. I'm pretty much stuck unless I engage in an RMA that will end up in me losing money and right this moment I need the machine running, even if in a flaky way, to work with, so I can't send anything back yet.

This is why I often don't want to bother with Amiga anymore

Quote:
Anyway my setup is a bit different than yours: it's the v1.5 with a modded CISCO PSU - btw the furia is the 'white PCB' one, firmware: 14.3 .
My Fúria is white too but why did it come with 14.1 firmware and not the latest? I just looked up how to update the firmware and it's a fucking bother with a JTAG programmer I don't have etc., why have they made this so insufferably unstable and hard to maintain by the user? I really regret this purchase now. My ACA620 has been working for me for over 10 years now without a problem. I wish they still made it.
Old 29 February 2024, 22:44   #26
CCRider

Quote:
He's probably referring to original kickstarts being actual ROM ICs, and the newer ones EPROMs. The ones after Commodore/Amiga Technologies, that is.
Old 29 February 2024, 23:10   #27
xc8
no c= no fun

Quote:
My Fúria is white too but why did it come with 14.1 firmware and not the latest?
different/older design? Mine is the 'white' one (rev 3) , but very different than of @derSammler's , it has 2 RAM ICs on the top, also the `RAM WAIT` jumper on mine is 'ON', I did not bother to change it.
Old 01 March 2024, 00:05   #28
Amiga1992

Quote:
different/older design? Mine is the 'white' one (rev 3) , but very different than of @derSammler's , it has 2 RAM ICs on the top, also the `RAM WAIT` jumper on mine is 'ON', I did not bother to change it.
I think I have the same one although the sticker does say 2022. Why was I sold old shit I don't know.
This is my card:

I did mess with the RAM Wait jumper as suggested by the Fúria creator but it made no difference whether it was on or off
Old 01 March 2024, 10:13   #29
amifan
WhatIFF? Amiga Magazine

I had similar issues to you with my Furia, in the end I was able to send it back to the shop for testing, they confirmed it was not working. It could be just that you have a damaged board too. In the end I got a refund and bought an xT, I am much happier with the xT, no issues and still a fast A600. It might worthwhile sending the card back for a refund and putting it towards an xT.
Old 01 March 2024, 11:18   #30
xc8
no c= no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by amifan View Post
I had similar issues to you with my Furia, in the end I was able to send it back to the shop for testing, they confirmed it was not working. It could be just that you have a damaged board too. In the end I got a refund and bought an xT, I am much happier with the xT, no issues and still a fast A600. It might worthwhile sending the card back for a refund and putting it towards an xT.

OOT but I had the opposite experience: XT accel was bad so I finally got the furia, mainly as the price was almost the same, after all it's an 020, not to mention the IDE speedup. There is also the alternative of PiStorm.
Old 01 March 2024, 14:37   #31
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by amifan View Post
I had similar issues to you with my Furia
How similar were they? If there's precedent that this can happen I'd feel more confident in returning it. I just don't want to send this back all the way to Poland to be told the card is fine and then I have to pay for shipping for absolutely nothing. Shipping has already been expensive sending the card here

I wish Jens Schoenefeld would re-release his ACA620...

I just plonked all the money i had for this kind of bullshit into this, I can't go and buy a Kickstart ROM or a Xilinx programmer or anything to try and make this piece of shit work, so i have to wait until i do find the time and, honestly, the will, to try any of what was suggested probably to end up with the same conclusion, that the thing isn't working.

This is horrible, I'm not buying anything Amiga ever again.

Thanks people for trying to help out so far.
Old 08 March 2024, 06:55   #32
supaduper

If you are in the UK I will update the firmware for you to 14.3 if you want to try that
Old 08 March 2024, 17:32   #33
Boboo_SK
Develop HW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga1992 View Post
How similar were they? If there's precedent that this can happen I'd feel more confident in returning it. I just don't want to send this back all the way to Poland to be told the card is fine and then I have to pay for shipping for absolutely nothing. Shipping has already been expensive sending the card here

I wish Jens Schoenefeld would re-release his ACA620...

I just plonked all the money i had for this kind of bullshit into this, I can't go and buy a Kickstart ROM or a Xilinx programmer or anything to try and make this piece of shit work, so i have to wait until i do find the time and, honestly, the will, to try any of what was suggested probably to end up with the same conclusion, that the thing isn't working.

This is horrible, I'm not buying anything Amiga ever again.

Thanks people for trying to help out so far.

How about sending this "shit" directly to the author for testing? Your hatred will not help you solve the problem.
Old 08 March 2024, 20:01   #34
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boboo_SK View Post
How about sending this "shit" directly to the author for testing? Your hatred will not help you solve the problem.
Why would I send this to you? I bought this off a shop which is not very welcoming to returns and as I said I do not want to send a card half way around the world to be told "it's fine there's no problem with it" and having paid a lot of shipping back and forth for the "privilege", so I am stuck trying to determine if the problem is with my computer first, which I can't do until I buy a bunch of other shit like a new Kickstart ROM and/or a Xilinx programmer.

I don't have "hatred", I am incredibly frustrated at this situation and with good reason. I'm left to my own devices, needing to spend even more money just to diagnose the situation, while I have to deal with a seller who alleges having mental health issues when he coarsely and unsatisfactorily replies to my questions trying to diagnose what the shit is going on, a seller who is located thousands of kilometers away. Do you understand my frustration now or not?

Other people in this thread have commented that the feedback I received from you was unclear or confusing, if you want to help you can maybe respond them:
Quote:

Or if you want to dwell in the language I used out of frustration from the situation I have been put in when I did nothing wrong, be my guest.
Old 16 March 2024, 00:56   #35
Amiga1992

Booboo has written to me directly and I really feel like I need to apologize to him personally and publicly for referring to the Fúria as "a piece of shit" out of frustration.

Although my problems have not been resolved yet and probably won't be for a while now until I am able to either try some more things or send the card back to eastern Europe, a card like this takes a ridiculous amount of effort in research and development to get working and delivered to people, I do not want to belittle their work in helping people put a little more power in their A600s just because I had a bad experience with a reseller and a device that may or may not be faulty.

Anyway i'll post back here whenever I am able to get a new Kickstart ROM and/or a Xilinx programmer.
Old 16 March 2024, 11:15   #36
xc8
no c= no fun

as you did not give up.. what about try to start your A600 in -as I say 'vanilla mode' : *only* the furia will be installed there eg remove any other like the SD +adaptor (leave the ide port empty), no FDD (unplug any cable goes to FDD), no other chipram extensions and *if* possible use the stock PSU, just to see if you still have the red screen on boot or the 'insert disk' screen.
Old 19 March 2024, 18:43   #37
Jolabandola

There are plenty of Fura posts in this forum from the past with the woes of owning one. Some of them are from me and many others. The Furia is notoriously picky with what kind of sd/cf card you have and simply wont work with some or work badly with others. I use an IDE2SD in mine and found out the hard way that the only card that would work for me is Sandisk extreme. I tried several cards before that but never got it to work properly and stable. I also never got mine to work with OS3.2 and i simply have to stick to 3.1.4. Funny thing is that i can use pcmcia with all the memory without disabling any of it which is strange
The Furia is abit hit and miss but if you are lucky to get it stable it is a pretty good accelerator imho
Old 19 March 2024, 21:02   #38
Torti-the-Smurf

I used a A600 Furia for Years. Never had problems with it and it was a Beast ! (in the positve sense)
(was a white board and i had never updated the firmware)

But i sold it a few years ago to a Computer Science Professor that got into retirement.

He loved Amigas always the most and wanted real Hardware, so he could programm in his spare retirement time.
I switched to FPGA since then.

So, i could not say one bad thing about the Furia; it was awesome