English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 07 October 2008, 21:53   #1
extralife

060 patches ?

Hi guys, i'm trying make a fairly clean environment on my miggy, meaning I would like myself to know what i have installed in those system drawers even though classicwb is a top notch package so i have started from scratch.
Anyways I got a blizzard 1260-50 card and I was wondering what patches would be the best choice here ? I have offcoz the cyberpatcher, but that one seems to help me little, f.eks when trying to run gift by ptn there is no improvement at all with or without it
I have tried mulibs, it seems to work pretty good, gives a huuge speed improvement, but in return it seems to hack everything as it wishes, is this a good thing ?
I have not been able to try out the oxypatcher, coz I don't own that one.
Allso what exactly does blizzkick do ? Do I need it ?
Blazewcp, I have installed to activate if needed, but do I really need this one too ?
I am a little confused by all these patches, as u can see. How do I set this nice card up to work in the best possible way
I should mention that I mostly use my amiga for demo's and some whdgaming , so the card will mostly be used to fire up those demo's, that I love so dearly
Old 07 October 2008, 23:44   #2
hit

have a look at this: http://www.hsmathlibs.de/index_e.html
and at the end its, only 5.- euro

and have a look at magix ftp ( http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=38697 )
Old 08 October 2008, 01:03   #3
extralife

omg! thank u very much, hit
Gives me a little more room for testing thx man

Btw, I have been diggin into blizkick and it seems to be a very nice little patcher for all kinds of stuff in the rom, I will need to test various things with this as well don't u just love a machine with no laws

But once again thx man
Old 08 October 2008, 09:41   #4
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

Cool, I didn't know about HSMathLibs! I'll try those later.

On my Apollo 1260 A1200, I've got the following patches:

- SystemPatch 3.3 (http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=401041&postcount=6)
- OxyPatcher 3.14 Enhanced Version (see MagixFTP link above)
- RemApollo (For Apollo cards only and not 060-specific, but has huge performance increases, particularly screen updates which are nearly twice as fast (according to AIBB WritePixel benchmark and my own perception) The equivalent for Blizzard cards is (of course) Blizkick, but I don't know if the performance increases are comparable).
- FBlit (again, not 060-specific, but it all helps!)
- 060 versions of AK-Datatypes (from Aminet)
- 060 version of xadmaster.library (from Aminet)
- 060 version of IBrowse 2.4.
- 060 version of AmiSSL.
- 060FPU version of mpega.library (from Aminet).

That's all I can remember for now. I'll update the list if I think of any more, but all the important ones are there. Before using SystemPatch, I used to have BlazeWCP installed as well, but it is included in SystemPatch.

Steve.

Last edited by StevenJGore; 08 October 2008 at 09:56.
Old 08 October 2008, 13:12   #5
extralife

thx steven for that nice list u put down there
I didn't know of the systempatch, I will have a look into that package and see what it does for my needs
So from what I can see the Blizkick is kind of a must really, just need to figure out what I need from that package as well, by trying out different combinations there.
I have found that oxypatcher suits my needs the best too, since it doesn't hack my system too much unless I wan't it too nice (thx again for the pointer hit )
Fblit, I need to look into aswell, but I see blizkick uses the hogwaitblit, is this somewhat the same thing ?
As u can see, I would like to know what i'm feeding my system, coz it might help me a little better to track down those weird crashes that can sometimes occur and I tend to blame the programmers and whdpatchers, while it might aswell be my own lazyness in setting up my system
Old 08 October 2008, 13:19   #6
hit

np
try running: http://www.hsmathlibs.de/HSML_public/Benchmarks_e.lha on each of your speedup tools. guess its a good indicator, finding the best one.
Old 11 October 2008, 14:01   #7
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

I just tried the 060 version of HSMathLibs, they are much faster than the originals (up to 3 or 4 times faster according to the benchmarks).

But what do the maths libraries actually do? What uses them?

I tried a few games and apps, and real-world performance didn't seem any different.

Steve.
Old 11 October 2008, 14:38   #8
hit

an example is pagestream, import a postscript file and compare it with the standard libs. i'm sure there will be a difference. attached some postscript samples. i recall, they took a while on my 030/882 (25).
graphics related software, maybe Scala, Monument Titler, 3D apps, like lightwave, real3d, imagine, etc.
not every day stuff
Those flightsims, Tornado or TFX are also worth a look.
you can also try snoopdos and look for math libs to be loaded.
Attached Files
File Type: zip postscript-examples.zip (125.0 KB, 185 views)

Last edited by hit; 11 October 2008 at 14:46.