English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 August 2008, 08:03   #81
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I always create original configuration and then re-softmod. Why? Mainly because I could never be bothered to learn how to use the PC tool Ndure 3.1 OR the tweak which reveals your REAL C: for FTP instead of the virtual one.
It's simple enough but not explained very well, when preparing your exploit files with the NDURE installer just leave the option "Add Ndure Toolset" selected, that's all you have to do. To disable shadowc just run E:\NDTS\default.xbe which uses the Phoenix BIOS Loader to knock out the patched BIOS, when the dash reloads you will have access to the real C partition.
Old 03 August 2008, 08:12   #82
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd View Post
To disable shadowc just run E:\NDTS\default.xbe which uses the Phoenix BIOS Loader to knock out the patched BIOS, when the dash reloads you will have access to the real C partition.
Cool, learn something new every day. If you did that before you backup your C: and E: for XboxHDM then it would be automatically softmodded when you prep your new bigger drive!
Old 03 August 2008, 18:08   #83
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

@ Zetro

I've found the one reason to get a hard mod.

When you power on the X-box there is this annoying loud animation. It is not possible to get rid of this "flubber animation" on a softmod alone because it is inside the BIOS chip. If you have a 1.0-1.5 X-box you can just solder two (sometimes 3) points on the motherboard and flash the BIOS with one without the annoying animation

BUT

If you have a 1.6/1.6b box there is nothing to flash because it has a ROM

Last edited by alexh; 03 August 2008 at 18:27.
Old 03 August 2008, 18:14   #84
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
@ Zetro
I've found the one reason to get a hard mod. It is not possible to get rid of the flubber animation on a softmod (at least not that I've heard of).

Edit: Ok so you can fix it with a SoftMod if you then perform a few solders to enable writing to the TSOP (onboard) flash!
Luscious linkie please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and you need to do a softmod write up too Alexh... it would be a great all rounder on old skool m8... it really REALLY would!

I can beg if it helps m8
Old 03 August 2008, 18:30   #85
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/TSOP_flashing_HOWTO

I'm not writing a Game-Save softmod guide... there are 10's of them out there... and you don't need a guide in the first place it is that simple.
Old 03 August 2008, 19:27   #86
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I gave in and wrote one... but I lost heart half way through so rushed it and just regurgitated what I had already said in this thread and so it's kinda rubbish. (Accurate, but assumes experienced user)

Last edited by alexh; 03 August 2008 at 19:36.
Old 03 August 2008, 20:42   #87
Anubis
Retro Gamer

New update:

I created xboxhd CD without any problems (took me ~10 minutes)

Setup new HD on my server and installed HD from scratch (~25 minute) (there is no problems with locking if you follow instructions )

Opened XBox and replaced HD (~10 minutes - first time I opened XBox)

Reinstalled softmod (~5 min)

Did changes as alexh suggested to dashboard (~2 min)

And then rebooted xbox and viola!!!! xbmc boots without any problem!

Tried 3 emus (genesis, pc-engine and SMS) and everything works great!

Now I have to install F drive (and G drive?), but I just figure out that I don't have XBPartitioner 1.1 (I have version 1.0)

Can anyone help me with this one?

Thank you a lot alexh and everyone else for helpful hints!

Last edited by Anubis; 03 August 2008 at 20:48.
Old 03 August 2008, 20:50   #88
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Nice to know I was of some help. But you're a very acomplished user and I was more inspiration rather than direct help.

XBoxpartitioner v1.1 is in the zone.

Surprised you didnt try WinUAE-X first :)

Surreal is a good emulator too (N64) as is ZSneX, MAMEoX, KAWA-X and if you are a Zelda fan like me... you'll want to play Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of the Ages and the Minish Cap on XboyAdvance.

WRT your F: and G: partitions, the standard Krayzie installer will use a 67 BIOS meaning it has both partitions 6 (F:) and 7(G:). You'll get a G: drive which is bigger than 0 bytes if your hard drive is bigger than 140Gbytes. (8 Gig on C: E: etc and upto 137Gig on F:)

Last edited by alexh; 03 August 2008 at 21:07.
Old 03 August 2008, 20:55   #89
rare_j
Zone Friend

On a 1.6/1.6b your best bet is an xecuter chip, their bios lets you get rid of the start-up nonsense/noise which does get REALLY annoying after a while.
Mine now boots straight into XBMC with the minimum of fuss.

NICE tip on the quiet fan - ordered!!
Old 03 August 2008, 21:07   #90
Anubis
Retro Gamer

alexh, without your help I don't think that I would even try to soft mod it.
Thank you!

I just downloaded partitioner and this is next thing I will have to do. As for emulating Amiga, I knew if I try it, that would mean that I would not replace HD and do all other stuff.

What is good site to get latest versions of emulators?

Did I say Thank you yet??
Old 03 August 2008, 21:08   #91
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

@Rare_J

I disagree... a softmod is still your best solution for a 1.6/1.6b unless you HAVE to get rid of the flubber animation.
Softmods are probably even more attractive for 1.6/1.6b as hard mods are more difficult as you have to rebuild the LPC.

@Anubis

Xbins of course... but they are down atm... Hmmm for the time being use Autoinstaller Deluxe 4.30 which was released last month. (one or two emulators out of date)

Last edited by alexh; 03 August 2008 at 21:31.
Old 03 August 2008, 21:55   #92
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Have a look here.
Old 03 August 2008, 23:03   #93
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Where is a good place to find hardmods these days for the NTSC XBOX consoles?
Old 04 August 2008, 00:04   #94
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Divineo?
Old 04 August 2008, 00:13   #95
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Here are the final versions of all xport's emulators (the best ones, basically)

http://gx-mod.com/xbox/modules/news/...p?storyid=5034
Old 04 August 2008, 00:56   #96
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
http://www.modchip-store.co.uk/home.php

there not the cheapest, so you could get them cheaper by shopping about,

By far the best is the Executor 2.6 or 3x series of chips, but anything that has a 512K Bios is great as that will house the latest Executor 5x series of BIOS for you XBox

Old 04 August 2008, 13:58   #97
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
After my n00b experience with soft modding, I would never try hard modding xbox. For the first one took me ~5 minutes and to place bigger HD and install from scratch took me less then an hour.

I formatted F drive, and copied some music and pictures, added sources in XBMC and it worked fine. Only problems I had is that some music files didn't copy with FTP. (I will check tonight all of those files)

One thing that I was wondering is if I can make picture to open directly directory that I selected for pictures. ATM it will open all sources I selected, but is there a way to go directly into source. (same for music and videos)

Then I installed newer versions for emulators and tried some of the games. I have to say that I am very surprised at how good they are. (Sorry DC, but XBox is a way to go )

One thing that I noticed with some games (Donkey Kong Country for example) is that game auto-rewind if I lose life. (my daughter was 'helping' me, so that was quite often ) Is there an option to turn this feature off? (I couldn't find it last night, after brief look)

I also tried WinUAEX and it really works great. I tried Syndicate and I was surprised that my mouse worked with USB hack. So now I need cordeless mouse and keyboard.

Thank you guys for links for emulators. (great work there Retroplay) I will download and try most of them.

I still have to try to copy games to HD.

Ahh, one more thing. Is there good browser and email reader for XBMC? (gmail more importantly )

Thank you all for help. Hope this topic will help others who are interested to make their xbox alive and more useful.
Old 04 August 2008, 14:07   #98
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Only problems I had is that some music files didn't copy with FTP. (I will check tonight all of those files)
£50 says they have filenames with characters / length which are fine with NTFS but are not supported under FATX (Xbox hard drive file system).

Quote:
One thing that I was wondering is if I can make picture to open directly directory that I selected for pictures. ATM it will open all sources I selected, but is there a way to go directly into source. (same for music and videos)
?? Rephrase

Quote:
Ahh, one more thing. Is there good browser and email reader for XBMC? (gmail more importantly )
There is only one AFAIK and it isn't great. Linksboks (Not to be confused with Lynxbox the Atari Lynx emulator). It is an application which you launch under XBMC.

You do have the option of installing linux as an application launched from XBMC and using Firefox or KHTML... but I've never done that.

Last edited by alexh; 04 August 2008 at 14:14.
Old 04 August 2008, 14:13   #99
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Alexh

I was playing around with Knoppics and DSL (Damn Small Linux) on the box the other day... it was quite cute surfing ebay with the XBox
Old 04 August 2008, 14:16   #100
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Pointers?? Guides?? Which browser?