English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 June 2020, 00:13   #81
DamienD
Banned

Ok, I've now PM'd Turran asking him to take the "EAB File Server" offline until further notice...

I will be personally going through all folders / files on there... this will probably take a few weeks / a month or even longer... don't expect it back anytime soon.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:18   #82
Retro1234
Phone Homer

that's helpful
Old 02 June 2020, 00:18   #83
shuttlepilot
Vampire 68080 Owner

@Retro1234

It looks like nobody is stopping you from either posting links or creating that scriipt you mentioned. However, I will point out to you one of the rules for the EAB fileserver.

Quote:
1. DO NOT upload "Workbench Disks", "Kickstart ROMs/Disks" & software or music files still supported/for sale.
Can't be any clearer than that

And now, back to the original thread discussion.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:20   #84
sean_sk
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Someone just sent me two interesting PMs:

Quote:
It reads as follows... AMIGA ROM Operating System and Libraries Powered by 68080 AMMX Apollo Team Bringing 68k back! 3.10 ROM exec.library exec 45.23 (22.09.2016)

Naughty naughty Apollo Team!
Can I ask, how is this statement actually "naughty"?
This is simply an acknowledgement that the operating system and ROM are powered by the Apollo 68080 CPU core, much in the same way a PC manufacturer might state that their Windows PC is powered by an Intel Core i7 CPU.

If Cloanto, who licensed the KS 3.1 ROM to the Apollo Team in the first place, had any sort of problem with this, they would have said so a long time ago.

As it stands the ROM had to be modified with some Vampire specific modules in order for it to work. Cloanto would be well aware of this.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:20   #85
spudje

Quote:
Be my guest...
They are distributing "Amiga OS 3.9" in their distro... you show me where there is Amiga OS media on the EAB File Server please?
Well, I think I already gave you a tip. Look in uploads and the user I just mentioned. That user also has a Patreon btw. just saying... Double standards...?

And I don't want to be a snitch and value the work enormously (not paying for his Patreon though), I'm trying to make a point, that's all. I also found similar compilation ISOs in at least 1 other upload folder. The few TOSEC homebrew CD32 compilations I checked indeed did not contain ROMs.

Last edited by spudje; 02 June 2020 at 00:28.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:23   #86
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttlepilot View Post
@Retro1234

It looks like nobody is stopping you from either posting links or creating that scriipt you mentioned. However, I will point out to you one of the rules for the EAB fileserver.

Can't be any clearer than that

And now, back to the original thread discussion.
Thats also really helpful right remove all coverdisks, Dpaint anything with workbench files Relokick excellent
Old 02 June 2020, 00:29   #87
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
That user also has a Patreon btw. just saying... Double standards...?
I'm sorry but how is this double standards exactly???

My beef with developers using Patreon is that they advertise their commercial games here (free advertising), but then post exclusives on Patreon that we at EAB need to pay for.

Amigajay does not do that.

Quote:
And I don't want to be a snitch and value the work enormously (not paying for his Patreon though), I'm trying to make a point, that's all. I also found similar compilation ISOs in at least 1 other upload folder.
Oh right, I think it's a bit late for you to say "I don't want to be a snitch"

...and sure; I can really see how much you appreciate their work; and EAB as a whole.

You and others in this thread; are very quick to try to make out that EAB are the bad guys here and hypocritical.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:29   #88
shuttlepilot
Vampire 68080 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Thats also really helpful right remove all coverdisks, Dpaint anything with workbench files Relokick excellent
You'll have to take that up with admin. I don't make the rules here, I just follow them.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:34   #89
spudje

Quote:
Amigajay does not do that.
He gives early access to (beta? versions of) said compilations on his Patreon iirc, however it seems he already stopped his Patroen (or was removed).

Quote:
You and others in this thread; are very quick to try to make out that EAB are the bad guys here and hypocritical.
I never said EAB are the bad guys. I'm only pointing out that what you claim of others, can for certain extend also be said about content on the EAB site.

You know damn well I value (including donations) EAB and you personally with all the work you do. A difference in opinion is not the same as calling the persion you disagree with a bad guy, at least not for me.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:34   #90
Retro1234
Phone Homer

no you pointed out you take it up with them.

Damien you messed up now your using crazy logic this is just bizarre.

I don't even care but getting dragged into this ridiculous argument.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:35   #91
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
He gives early access to (beta? versions of) said compilations on his Patreon iirc
So what; he also then shares the files on here... what's you're point exactly???
Old 02 June 2020, 00:37   #92
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Damien you messed up now your using crazy logic this is just bizarre.

I don't even care but getting dragged into this ridiculous argument.
Care to explain, I really don't have any idea what it is you're on about...
Old 02 June 2020, 00:41   #93
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Well to put it into perspective it would be like someone complaining about people downloading Windows 98 in the "X86 Discussion" thread.
Equally illegal, copyrighted software.

Quote:
No, of course I'm not. But I wouldn't call any new games abandonware. An operating system that is 20 years old is a different story.
No, it's exactly the same story. Either it is released by its owner, or not. As far as 3.9 is concerned, it is not. Even worse, one can still buy 3.9.

Quote:
If they were selling the actual OS for profit, then I would agree. But they are selling the hardware and providing the OS free of charge.
They are selling the actual Os for profit. "They" as in a couple of Amiga shops where you can still get 3.9. "They" as the Vampire team as part of the hardware.

Quote:
It's really not much different to a site providing a free download to 3.9, and I don't see those websites copping a bashing on here even though quite a few of them exist.
Just because there are sides that provide pirated software does not make pirating legal.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:41   #94
spudje

Quote:
So what; he also then shares the files on here... what's you're point exactly???
Files that contain copyrighted material (the kickstart files). This is not different from what the Apollo guys do, they share Coffin... So if you judge Apollo, you should judge Amigajay.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:44   #95
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Files that contain copyrighted material (the kickstart files). This is not different from what the Apollo guys do, they share Coffin... So if you judge Apollo, you should judge Amigajay.
What people do on their Patreon site is none of my business!!! You expect me to police that too?

As I already said in this thread; I wasn't aware of KS ROMs inside these compilations on the EAB File Sever.

They will be removed!!!

...but let's be honest, and I'm not saying it ok... a few old KS ROMs is totally different to distributing the entire "Amiga OS 3.9" isn't it.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:44   #96
BippyM
Global Moderator

Okay this is ridiculous now.. The issue is this, and I am sick of repeating this:
  • Apollo is a legitimate business, they sell hardware, they have a right to do this
  • Apollo team are a legitimate business, they do not have the right to give away anything that isn't licensed to them. THey are risking THEIR business, in an extremely volatile market that is backstabbing and will happily screw each other over
  • Apollo Team may have the rights to distribute this image file, however I doubt it,
  • Apollo team can, and should seperate themselves from this image
  • Crearing an imagefile that does NOT contain any software that is considered as "HOT" is not difficult, they're just lazy!!!
  • They should just create an install script to installed Vampire to a users existing WB setup
  • They most likely, definitely do not have a license for WB3.9!!!

Now we can be as pathetic and as pedantic as you want, there is not "KNOWN" and "INTENTIONALLY" hot software on the EAB, if there is it will be removed. EAB does not make any money from selling anything, EAB is not a business!!

Comparing Apollo Team to EAB is like comparing an Apple to an Orange. Both are fruit, but they are very different!
Old 02 June 2020, 00:46   #97
utri007
mä vaan

Difference is that Apollo team are making money with pirated software.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:48   #98
BippyM
Global Moderator

The fact is, this image will only work with a vampire, and is supplied by the vampire team on their website.. Therefore, they are selling it!!
Old 02 June 2020, 00:52   #99
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Equally illegal, copyrighted software.
You know as well as I do that no one gives a shit about anyone pirating Windows 98. You're just here to be argumentative, as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter
No, it's exactly the same story. Either it is released by its owner, or not. As far as 3.9 is concerned, it is not. Even worse, one can still buy 3.9.
Who cares. It's 20 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007
Difference is that Apollo team are making money with pirated software.
They aren't selling the software.

Last edited by Hewitson; 02 June 2020 at 00:59.
Old 02 June 2020, 00:53   #100
spudje

I agree with BippyM. However Utri007, however illegal Coffin is, apollo team is not selling it. The V4SA would have costed just the same with or without Coffin at A34. There is a dubious independent person selling ready made CF cards with Coffin. Some people on the Apollo forum are asking the Apollo guys to at least ban him. And here, just as with distancing from Coffin, they don't do that. And I fully agree that is harmful, most of all for their own credibility.