English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 April 2019, 02:34   #21
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I think that we need some real and modern 060 solution like this

About prices, I would suggest to stay in the 5 hundred euros line. You know that -resuming- the lower the price, the more you sell.

Last edited by Retrofan; 06 April 2019 at 02:41.
Old 06 April 2019, 08:42   #22
Higgy

I don't want to move this to a discussion between FPGA and traditional CPU, but I heard a good point about price.

As most people will always want to pay less and have the most power/functions they will need to try and keep price away from a certain Blood Sucker! And the card does feature a lot of functions i.e. chips/pan size and that equals cost.

Seems to be a bit of discussion regarding heat. Not sure if this is the actual value but talk of the FPGA used on the Warp getting to 90 degrees! So even if you have a Rev 6 060 there is a going to be a lot of heat soak. Hopefully something can be done here. Any gains with changes to FPGA programming?

~130 MIPS @ 100Mhz is impressive for such quick development.

One thing I like with my A1200 is its silent. Gotek, CF IDE no fan on PSU, no moving parts.
Old 06 April 2019, 13:12   #23
MartinW

Silence is a very good point indeed. It’s one of the reasons I don’t use the indivision and the fast ata that I have. The heat was insane and I couldn’t bear the noise of even the quietest fan that I had. A 1200 should not have fans!
Old 06 April 2019, 13:51   #24
Seiya

wow, what beautifull board
Old 06 April 2019, 19:07   #25
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
I am sure (hope) the team sourced some 060 before this work started. As here is what I have been offered (non-eBay sources):

XC68060RC60A 01G65V - $600 each!!!
MC68060RC60 (no photo or mask ID) - $268.66 each!!
MC68060RC60 (mask ID shows 040, but pins show 060?) - 550 euros each!!!

Are there really enough stockpiled at sensible prices for a real hardware accelerator? You can see why FPGA is so so tempting in these times.
This probably wouldn't be such a problem if people didn't mount them on knock-off 3640 "accelerators".
Old 10 April 2019, 09:52   #26
Higgy

With Facebook & the PPA (Polish Forum) information can tend to get lost.

I had a reply regarding heat. They will be guaranteeing the card to run stable with RTG @ 50Mhz - no fans. The FPGA is the dominant factor in heat. Higher RTG resolutions = more heat.

I was wondering if a Rev 6 060 would be a little wasted if the FPGA is kicking out the heat. Higher clock speeds you need a fan, so you could just have a fan on a Rev 5. All Revs run @ 50 Mhz with no cooling.

Sorry I did not know much about RTG. I did not know until yesterday, but I see the A1200 150-pin expansion does not pass through video (only audio) so with RTG you need a 2 screen (or VGA/DVI 15kHz compatible) setup. And if I then understand correctly if you run 99% of WHDLoad games from your nice RTG Workbench the display has to use the AMIGA's custom chips so comes out RF/Composite/RGB and not via Digital/RTG.
A BenQ LCD monitor sounds a good solution if people are lacking in desk space.

(I guess the Vampire A1200 will also require this. I suppose it does depends if they do a High/Low end model. High End could have AGA in FPGA so it can output every video output via Digital - but then might as well have a Standalone + Keyrah in a A1200 case)
Old 10 April 2019, 12:51   #27
mariovieira

Quote:
I suppose it does depends if they do a High/Low end model. High End could have AGA in FPGA so it can output every video output via Digital - but then might as well have a Standalone + Keyrah in a A1200 case)
I had the same question and the answer I received on Apollo forums was this:

“For legacy games the GOLD 2.x branch will use the A1200's RGB and Composite ports, whereas the GOLD 3 branch will use the Vampire's own DIGITAL-VIDEO output.”
Old 10 April 2019, 12:52   #28
HelloBeautiful

Quote:
With Facebook & the PPA (Polish Forum) information can tend to get lost.

I had a reply regarding heat. They will be guaranteeing the card to run stable with RTG @ 50Mhz - no fans. The FPGA is the dominant factor in heat. Higher RTG resolutions = more heat.

I was wondering if a Rev 6 060 would be a little wasted if the FPGA is kicking out the heat. Higher clock speeds you need a fan, so you could just have a fan on a Rev 5. All Revs run @ 50 Mhz with no cooling.

Sorry I did not know much about RTG. I did not know until yesterday, but I see the A1200 150-pin expansion does not pass through video (only audio) so with RTG you need a 2 screen (or VGA/DVI 15kHz compatible) setup. And if I then understand correctly if you run 99% of WHDLoad games from your nice RTG Workbench the display has to use the AMIGA's custom chips so comes out RF/Composite/RGB and not via Digital/RTG.
A BenQ LCD monitor sounds a good solution if people are lacking in desk space.

(I guess the Vampire A1200 will also require this. I suppose it does depends if they do a High/Low end model. High End could have AGA in FPGA so it can output every video output via Digital - but then might as well have a Standalone + Keyrah in a A1200 case)

One option would be to do what flicker fixers do, they have sockets put on top of Alice that capture the video signal. Then you'd have to guide it with a cable to the Accelerator card.

(Or just combine an existing flicker fixer with the Warps output via a Ratte Switch)

The Vampire re-implements AGA in it's FPA so it doesn't have to do that.
Old 10 April 2019, 20:27   #29
Syntrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBeautiful View Post
One option would be to do what flicker fixers do, they have sockets put on top of Alice that capture the video signal. Then you'd have to guide it with a cable to the Accelerator card.

(Or just combine an existing flicker fixer with the Warps output via a Ratte Switch)

The Vampire re-implements AGA in it's FPA so it doesn't have to do that.
Or, just make a connector that can receive the Indy Flicker Fixers signal and pass it through. But the indy flicker fixer is to slow to make it usable, so an alternative would be nice.

A Turbocard with 68060/RTG and Audio (completely silent) sounds like a dream solution.

Old 25 July 2019, 15:16   #30
aszu

Today I went to see the lads responsible for this card and I had it in my hands.
It works great with a stock A1200.
I took some photos to prove it.

At this moment they still work on it, as there will be much more. It will not be an ordinary accelerator. I don't want to say too much, but I haven't seen such a product since Phase5. The good, old Phase5. First picture might give you a bit of clue

Old 25 July 2019, 15:29   #31
MartinW

That looks nice! I don't suppose that they will for a second, but it would be nice if there was a version sold without 060 chip for people that already have one they can use

But the whole subject of video out is a show-stopper for me. I don't want two monitors for one machine and BenQ 912's have become either hard to get or expensive last I looked. I know that does change all the time though. A new BenQ with 15Khz and VGA / HDMI but a decent screen would be very nice. I have two of the 702's here and while they are undoubtedly the best LCD I have used on an Amiga due to the true 15Khz, the black levels and the viewing angles are truly awful due to the poor TN panel they've used.
Old 25 July 2019, 15:35   #32
aszu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
That looks nice! I don't suppose that they will for a second, but it would be nice if there was a version sold without 060 chip for people that already have one they can use

But the whole subject of video out is a show-stopper for me. I don't want two monitors for one machine and BenQ 912's have become either hard to get or expensive last I looked. I know that does change all the time though. A new BenQ with 15Khz and VGA / HDMI but a decent screen would be very nice. I have two of the 702's here and while they are undoubtedly the best LCD I have used on an Amiga due to the true 15Khz, the black levels and the viewing angles are truly awful due to the poor TN panel they've used.
Once they finish, I'm sure they'd be happy to sell it without processor. I don't think you'd need two monitors, as it's been mentioned, that they work on a solution to that
Old 25 July 2019, 15:40   #33
MartinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aszu View Post
I don't think you'd need two monitors, as it's been mentioned, that they work on a solution to that
Sorry, I missed that (or forgot!)

Have to admit that even my Z2 Picasso 2 (in my GB-A1000) multiplexes the original signals with the RTG out via an additional connector so it's certainly possible, if perhaps a little challenging in an A1200 due to the surface mount chips etc.
Old 25 July 2019, 15:44   #34
aszu

I have seen the card working, was told about that many features I could not believe it (including mixing sound channels/sound card? options to use it or not.... but I reckon the public will see everything on amiga34 in germany
Old 26 July 2019, 12:34   #35
grond

That looks like a great product and certainly more real than any rumoured ACA1240/1260! No wonder Jens is leaving the Amiga business.
Old 26 July 2019, 13:26   #36
AmigaHope

No problem using DDR3 or DDR4 on a classic Amiga accelerator if you have the right glue for it. Yeah there's a ton of latency in *cycles* on the RAM's bus, but in terms of real life latency from the processor's perspective, it's plenty fast enough to support a 68060 that's expecting 50ns/60ns classic DRAM. A decent DDR3 chip should have about 15ns real world latency. That's fast enough for the glue to get the data lined up in time and fill up an entire 68060 burst frame.
Old 26 July 2019, 14:07   #37
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
Do we know how this board will be sold?
I mean for the TF cards there are few people with solid reputation offering them fully built on behalf of the author, shall we expect the same with the WARP ?
Old 26 July 2019, 14:19   #38
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb132 View Post
Do we know how this board will be sold?
I mean for the TF cards there are few people with solid reputation offering them fully built on behalf of the author, shall we expect the same with the WARP ?
I'm pretty sure the CS-Lab guys will build and sell the boards themselves.
Old 31 July 2019, 15:34   #39
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
Do they have website where we can really order stuff? Even their 540 is looking great to me and would be enough... but I’ve never seen a price and a shopping cart for it...
Old 31 July 2019, 19:11   #40
AmigaHope

What does the USB port do? Can the Amiga access it, or is it just for updating the firmware?