Old 21 February 2020, 13:56   #661
Etze
A3000-Fan

I thought so, thanks!
Old 22 February 2020, 23:21   #662
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Nah, it was about Banshee. It was the beginning of the new 3D era in gaming and Quake 2 was the golden standard back then, so a hybrid like Bansheee which struggled with it wouldn't count . I'd still rather save up (if it actually still matters these days, not sure how the prices compare) for a decent ATI (2D)+Voodoo 2 (3D) combo than go for that solution.
What is this combo card!?
Old 23 February 2020, 09:34   #663
dreadnought

Ati+Voodoo=combo.
Old 24 February 2020, 09:50   #664
Glen M

Quote:
Nah, it was about Banshee. It was the beginning of the new 3D era in gaming and Quake 2 was the golden standard back then, so a hybrid like Bansheee which struggled with it wouldn't count . I'd still rather save up (if it actually still matters these days, not sure how the prices compare) for a decent ATI (2D)+Voodoo 2 (3D) combo than go for that solution.
If you just need 2D card to sit along side a voodoo, I recommend one of the Matrox cards. Had the best image quality of the day and are fairly cheap all be it ATi card are perhaps a bit cheaper
Old 24 February 2020, 09:56   #665
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
What is this combo card!?
The banshee is a 2D and 3D (glide) card in one but it is slower than separate 2D and voodoo 2. The banshee only has one texture unit compared to the voodoo 2 having 2.
Old 24 February 2020, 11:26   #666
appiah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
The banshee is a 2D and 3D (glide) card in one but it is slower than separate 2D and voodoo 2. The banshee only has one texture unit compared to the voodoo 2 having 2.

But it has its own advantages; the clockspeed is higher, the memory can be overclocked async (and many models come as such), it has better IQ and it supports DX 6.0.
Old 24 February 2020, 13:02   #667
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
But it has its own advantages; the clockspeed is higher, the memory can be overclocked async (and many models come as such), it has better IQ and it supports DX 6.0.
This is true and in glide the banshee can actually pull away from the voodoo 2 in some games but in most it does fall behind.

I personally wouldn't be to concerned about DirectX on a glide card. Far better options out there to give you that support that will even couple nicely alongside the voodoo for directx and glide support.
Old 24 February 2020, 15:00   #668
appiah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
This is true and in glide the banshee can actually pull away from the voodoo 2 in some games but in most it does fall behind.

I personally wouldn't be to concerned about DirectX on a glide card. Far better options out there to give you that support that will even couple nicely alongside the voodoo for directx and glide support.

True, but expansion slot count becomes an issue particularly if you are building an mATX system, which I like to do with Slot-1 stuff from time to time. Banshee has its uses. I particularly like it for Super Socket 7 builds.
Old 01 March 2020, 17:08   #669
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Would anybody be Interested in Swapping more Modern Parts for Retro or Modern Parts? I have Found myself with a Abundance of Ram, Processors, Motherboards etc I just don't need. I like to think that Everything has a home other than Landfill and Swapsies is Always Fun

If anybody has Interest Please hit me up with What you Don't need and I will Respond with what I have
Old 05 March 2020, 18:15   #670
dreadnought

Phew, I'm back in DOS mode. Well, not 100% but nearly there.

I lucked out last week on classifieds and first got a load of CRT monitors delivered for ~20 quid. There was also a lonely Pentium 4 rig for less than 10 quid on another site so I got that too (also delivered :)

So FINALLY, after all the micros I wanted, I have a retro PC too :)

I know, I know, most vintage computing nerds would sneer at the idea of P4 being retro (especially coming with an AGP Radeon and Win XP) but I don't care. I played Doom and few other games yesterday without Dosbox and on a CRT monitor first time in yonks and I'm deliriously happy. That blissful "green hills" Win wallpaper. IE icon. ADSL modem wanting to connect. This is the real deal. It even smells different :) It's also quite snappy, if only I could connect an SSD to it I doubt I'd see much difference between my modern rig.

Got a few questions, as I forgot nearly all my DOS/WIN-fu from back in the day.

XP can run some DOS games no problem but I guess in the long run it will prove problematic. My HDD is 80 GB and spans few different letters (C: D: E:) I guess these are partitions? Is it ok to format one and install real DOS on it, or perhaps Windows 98 SE? This way I'd have much bigger compatiblity in pure DOS mode. But could I boot from such setup? I'd rather leave the main XP partition as is.

Would DOS games work with this machine anyway? It's P4 / 1GB RAM /radeon 9600/ some Realtek onboard audio. I don't mind slowing games down with Moslo, was just wondering if maybe there can be "driver" problem or something else (think I've heard 1GB RAM can be problematic).
Old 05 March 2020, 19:03   #671
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Win 98 SE is probably best option, since it is built on top of DOS and you can use DOS Shortcuts for different configurations.

1GB memory is kind of overkill for DOS/Win98 tho... With P4 you will have to use some Process killing program like mo'slo.

With 80GB HD I would probalby create 8GB for C - install Win98 there. Create 20-40 GIG partition for WinXP, install WinXP with dual boot. Rest of HD you can format with Fat32, so that you can access it from both Win98SE and WinXP.
Old 05 March 2020, 21:29   #672
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Phew, I'm back in DOS mode. Well, not 100% but nearly there.

I lucked out last week on classifieds and first got a load of CRT monitors delivered for ~20 quid. There was also a lonely Pentium 4 rig for less than 10 quid on another site so I got that too (also delivered

So FINALLY, after all the micros I wanted, I have a retro PC too

I know, I know, most vintage computing nerds would sneer at the idea of P4 being retro (especially coming with an AGP Radeon and Win XP) but I don't care. I played Doom and few other games yesterday without Dosbox and on a CRT monitor first time in yonks and I'm deliriously happy. That blissful "green hills" Win wallpaper. IE icon. ADSL modem wanting to connect. This is the real deal. It even smells different It's also quite snappy, if only I could connect an SSD to it I doubt I'd see much difference between my modern rig.

Got a few questions, as I forgot nearly all my DOS/WIN-fu from back in the day.

XP can run some DOS games no problem but I guess in the long run it will prove problematic. My HDD is 80 GB and spans few different letters (C: D: E I guess these are partitions? Is it ok to format one and install real DOS on it, or perhaps Windows 98 SE? This way I'd have much bigger compatiblity in pure DOS mode. But could I boot from such setup? I'd rather leave the main XP partition as is.

Would DOS games work with this machine anyway? It's P4 / 1GB RAM /radeon 9600/ some Realtek onboard audio. I don't mind slowing games down with Moslo, was just wondering if maybe there can be "driver" problem or something else (think I've heard 1GB RAM can be problematic).
Firstly and Foremost Welcome to X86 Discoussion

This Thread was Started because of a P4 Rig I Bought to Slap windows 98se on to it and Can assure you that it is Perfectly Fine for Most Dos Games

1GB of Ram will be Fine under 98se with the Ram Patch Installed

I have a All in Wonder 9800 Radeon Card that is Really Compatible For 98se and Dos so your Card will be Fine

Assuming your Onboard Audio is Realtek AC'97 there Should be a Driver for 98se although I would Recommend a Sound Card for SoundBlaster Compatibility Under Dos Mode

SoundBlaster PCI 128 Soundcards are Cheap (Would you Like one of Mine?) but if you Want Quality go for the SoundBlaster Live PCI Soundcard. I have Had Fantastic Dos Compatibility using these in Socket 478 and Socket 370 Boards (Unless the Socket 370 Has ISA Bus). Bare in Mind though to look out for Dell Variants of the SBLive as they Really do not Play well with the VXD Drivers, Although I didn't have issue with WDM Drivers for these Variants and Still Retained Fantastic Dos Compatibility

Personally 98se with the Restart in Dos Mode.pif and Drivers from Philscomputerlab.com would be the way to go with this Build, But there are Far more Knowledgeable People who follow this Thread who have Helped me Greatly! I think between us all we can Get you to where you want to be with the P4

EDIT: Unofficial Service Pack 3 is also a Must in my Opinion

Last edited by nathanm1991; 05 March 2020 at 21:33. Reason: Forgot to Mention Information
Old 05 March 2020, 23:07   #673
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

I'm sorry I know I am Going to get hate for this but a Socket 478 Pentium 4 or Celeron really is a Great Choice For Windows 98se and Dos Backwards Compatibility!

Granted since Getting the Pentium 3 (Thank you Viceroy!) and Dumpster Diving to Find a Pentium II (Awesome Find!) The P4 does not Get as Much Love but as Anubis Pointed out, With a Large Capacity Drive you can Dual Boot XP and 98se with a Fat32 Partition so Both OS Can read it and have a Abundance of Applications and Games. Having two or more Operating Systems is Great! This would be a Ultimate 98se and a Great XP Machine so why not have the Choice of Both
Old 05 March 2020, 23:09   #674
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Win 98 SE is probably best option, since it is built on top of DOS and you can use DOS Shortcuts for different configurations.

1GB memory is kind of overkill for DOS/Win98 tho... With P4 you will have to use some Process killing program like mo'slo.

With 80GB HD I would probalby create 8GB for C - install Win98 there. Create 20-40 GIG partition for WinXP, install WinXP with dual boot. Rest of HD you can format with Fat32, so that you can access it from both Win98SE and WinXP.
not X86 Related but Rowan Atkinson as a Avatar makes me Wet myself every time I see your name Pop up
Old 05 March 2020, 23:59   #675
appiah4

I have nothing against the advice above but I have to point out that the SB PCI 128 and SB Live are overall terrible for DOS.
Old 06 March 2020, 00:02   #676
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by appiah4 View Post
I have nothing against the advice above but I have to point out that the SB PCI 128 and SB Live are overall terrible for DOS.
In Respects of being Totally Dos Compliant yes they are indeed Terrible but for Cheap Easy Access and the Fact that this day and Age Nobody really Wants to sell the Unique and Rare for Reasonable Prices these are Certainly Options would you not Agree?
Old 06 March 2020, 05:53   #677
appiah4

Not really.. Yamaha YMF724/744, ESS Solo-1 and Fortemedia FM801 chipset PCI cards are still abundant and cheap for non-ISA systems and have better DOS compatibility and FM sound..

Do a search for PCI sound card on ebay, filter by price, say 10 bucks, and inspect visually; they are not uncommon.

My PCI chipsets are CS4624/4630 but most of those are on high quality expensive cards. If you find one for cheap grab it
Old 06 March 2020, 09:48   #678
Glen M

I won another ESS1868F ISA sound card last night. Finally I can finished my 286 build!

Would have much preferred an adlib or original sound blaster but they are getting very expensive. The ESS cost me just over £14 delivered!
Old 06 March 2020, 10:10   #679
dreadnought

@everybody: thanks for the advice.

In regard to HDD, I just wanted to know if it's possible to format one of the existing partitions (and install 98 SE on it) without formatting the whole disk from scratch. I kinda like it all working really well as it is now, and perhaps would rather just buy another HDD than try to reinstall/reformat everything.

As for sound, I'm not in an ebay country. Here are some cheap local options:
-SB 0220 5.1 (that's Live), SB CT 4750, SB 1040
-Fortmedia FM801 AU
-sv550 yamaha 724, YAMAHA LEGACY XG PCI, Y 724E-V

What say you? Why is Live/SB terrible for DOS? Does it mean games won't work at all? I think I will stick to Windows 98 after all...not sure I have time to re-learn pure DOS atm.

Overall I'm quite pleased that this setup works because as much as I love retro hardware somehow I don't get such a huge kick out of the PC zone. It's not even about the money (though some prices are indeed crazy)...just the thought of building period-accurate 486, for example, does not excite me that much (I'd rather get another micro I suppose). Also, I want to play all the CRT-era games (though maybe not 3D ones, done them to death back then) so just one rig which can handle it all is ideal for me.

If I was to get a real vintage PC it'd be something like XT/AT with real EGA monitor maybe...this could be fun :)
Old 06 March 2020, 11:27   #680
nathanm1991
Self Diagnosed Noob!

Quote:
@everybody: thanks for the advice.

In regard to HDD, I just wanted to know if it's possible to format one of the existing partitions (and install 98 SE on it) without formatting the whole disk from scratch. I kinda like it all working really well as it is now, and perhaps would rather just buy another HDD than try to reinstall/reformat everything.

As for sound, I'm not in an ebay country. Here are some cheap local options:
-SB 0220 5.1 (that's Live), SB CT 4750, SB 1040
-Fortmedia FM801 AU
-sv550 yamaha 724, YAMAHA LEGACY XG PCI, Y 724E-V

What say you? Why is Live/SB terrible for DOS? Does it mean games won't work at all? I think I will stick to Windows 98 after all...not sure I have time to re-learn pure DOS atm.

Overall I'm quite pleased that this setup works because as much as I love retro hardware somehow I don't get such a huge kick out of the PC zone. It's not even about the money (though some prices are indeed crazy)...just the thought of building period-accurate 486, for example, does not excite me that much (I'd rather get another micro I suppose). Also, I want to play all the CRT-era games (though maybe not 3D ones, done them to death back then) so just one rig which can handle it all is ideal for me.

If I was to get a real vintage PC it'd be something like XT/AT with real EGA monitor maybe...this could be fun
Use a Partition Manager Under Xp to Shrink the XP Partition to Allow Unallocated Space and then Create a Fat32 Partition For98se To be Installed to. In Regards to a Boot Menu you may have to set One Manually.

I Shouldn't have Said Terrible either with The SB/Live What I should have said is Not Every Game will Work with these Cards but The Majority of Games Will

Honestly Watch PhilsComputerLab Videos on the Subject on YouTube it's Interesting. The Cards Mentioned By Appiah and GlenM are Better Options which I didn't Realise Could be Picked up So Cheap

You should be Able to Do all the Gaming that you want under 98se and Dos Mode with Tricks here and there to help you along the way