English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 December 2014, 05:50   #21
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
I have an amazing Multisync Microvitec 1548 at home. Excellent monitor.

Too bad it goes purple after 5-10 minutes
Why don't you try to find someone that can fix it? Bring it to service even
Old 11 December 2014, 08:03   #22
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondpondforever View Post
Thanks. Does the Multisync on the 1960 Monitor solve the problem of adjusting knobs for the size and position of the display.
No, multisync just means it can display a wide range of refresh frequencies. I haven't used a 1960 for a long time, so I don't remember how much adjustment it needed between screen modes.

Quote:
Also, why was the 1940 Monitor released in 1993 2 years after the 1960 Monitor (1991) when it's Bysync, less advanced than Multisync.
A cheap monitor that could display the majority of the screenmodes possible with the AGA chipset was missing from their product portfolio, so they decided to introduce something low cost to fill this niche.
Old 11 December 2014, 10:27   #23
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
Why don't you try to find someone that can fix it? Bring it to service even
I know my way around a soldering iron, I just don't know what to do when fixing CRTs

The only experience I've got with them is when I was zapped to the ground touching an opened one when I was a kid Considering that, I tried looking for service around (I don't mind paying a bit to fix something that might kill me) but nobody does service CRTs anymore back in my area.

I'll probably open a thread when I'm back home and see if one of the techies here can help me. I really want to get it working (and replace my 1084S)
Old 11 December 2014, 11:17   #24
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Yep, repairing CRT's is a problem these days, even for very good money no one will take to do it. I also have a similar monitor that goes purple from time to time (actually most of the time now). In fact the green signal is cut of from the tube at some point. Also trying to find some time to see what's going wrong inside.
I have fixed a few other monitor, and really funny, most of them have a soldering problem.
So all you have to do is check for cracks and you might be fine.
Capacitors (big tube shaped things) are also common to fail over time, but I never had this type of failure. And they are the ones that need discharging before putting your fingers in! A simple large resister and 2 probes do the trick nicely.
Old 11 December 2014, 11:55   #25
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I have fixed a few other monitor, and really funny, most of them have a soldering problem.
So all you have to do is check for cracks and you might be fine.
Capacitors (big tube shaped things) are also common to fail over time, but I never had this type of failure. And they are the ones that need discharging before putting your fingers in! A simple large resister and 2 probes do the trick nicely.
I think it's a soldering problem as well as it happens after the monitor heats up. It has been disconnected for the last year or so, so I should be able to open it up without any risks now

I'll look around for solder cracks and refresh the solder everywhere I know what a capacitor is, no worries on that
But I thought the usual way of discharging a CRT was to put something a screwdriver under the black rubber thingy on the top?
Old 11 December 2014, 14:27   #26
fondpondforever

'A cheap monitor that could display the majority of the screenmodes possible with the AGA chipset was missing from their product portfolio, so they decided to introduce something low cost to fill this niche.'

Thanks Jope, that makes sense now.
Old 11 December 2014, 14:49   #27
Hewitson

Quote:
I think it's a soldering problem as well as it happens after the monitor heats up. It has been disconnected for the last year or so, so I should be able to open it up without any risks now
NEVER assume that a CRT monitor or TV is safe to work on. If the anode needs to be disconnected then make sure you CORRECTLY discharge the CRT at least twice. Either discharge or avoid touching the mains filter cap(s).
Old 11 December 2014, 15:23   #28
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
NEVER assume that a CRT monitor or TV is safe to work on. If the anode needs to be disconnected then make sure you CORRECTLY discharge the CRT at least twice. Either discharge or avoid touching the mains filter cap(s).

How about the fact some tv's have a 120v on their chassis inside
Old 11 December 2014, 15:35   #29
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
I know my way around a soldering iron, I just don't know what to do when fixing CRTs

The only experience I've got with them is when I was zapped to the ground touching an opened one when I was a kid Considering that, I tried looking for service around (I don't mind paying a bit to fix something that might kill me) but nobody does service CRTs anymore back in my area.

I'll probably open a thread when I'm back home and see if one of the techies here can help me. I really want to get it working (and replace my 1084S)
Isn't Microvitec in UK? Maybe they can fix it?
Old 11 December 2014, 16:43   #30
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Thanks for the tip, I'll discharge it a few times then, just to be safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
Isn't Microvitec in UK? Maybe they can fix it?
You can find this on their website now:

Quote:
* UPDATE - April 2014 * * * Please note that will no longer offer a repair service for CRT and some LCD monitors.
This is due to the fact that the majority of CRT monitors and a lot of early LCD monitors are now becoming difficult to repair and are considered beyond their useful life.