English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 October 2018, 12:34   #1
lesta_smsc

A500+ battery leak? Can it be fixed? And an A500 issue...

Hello all!

I've acquired an A500 plus and a A500. Here's the details:

A500 - case cracked. Disk drive missing bits and does not take disk when inserted. BUT switches on and comes to KS 1.3 screen! Although will occasionally throw Guru Meditation error just before the last screen colour change. Pressing left mouse button brings me to KS 1.3 screen. Since the floppy drive is defunct, I cannot test any further. Can I get a new case or just not bother? Also how about if I use the A500+ case as donor since that is not working anyhow (See below)?

A500+ - in good overall condition. Disk drive seems to take disk and eject well just mechanically as not able to test full functionality. Does NOT boot at all. Initially it was showing no signal on TV with both floppy and power lights staying on. Leaving it powered on for 1 min and then powering off and on resulted in blue screen which was not always coming up as would occasionally show no signal but now only the power light is on without floppy drive. I opened the case and saw a lot of what looks like battery leak of oxidation damage around Even CIA, Gary and various other components close to battery. The Gary chip came off easily but the corrosion meant the bits which hold the leg on adaptor came off too. Is this something which can be fixed or worth it? I know A500+ riddled with battery leaks but I took a bit of faith and regret it now!

I'll try and upload the pics as best as I can. Any support or input much appreciated

Kind regards,
Lesta_SMSC

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 10 October 2018 at 12:55.
Old 10 October 2018, 14:50   #2
Daedalus

Ugh... Well, it is repairable, replacing sockets is easy, but the amount of repairs to the PCB tracks means it will take a lot of time and won't be pretty, and the cost of paying someone for the many hours of work involved might mean you're better off finding a donor board, or a machine that's at least working as a starting point.

The case could be used for the A500, and if you're very lucky, you might have a rev. 8 board in the 500, which could be easily upgraded to 500+ spec by transferring over some parts and making some minor modifications.
Old 10 October 2018, 19:06   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda

Really heavy damage. A500 boards are repairable, but this ove would cost really a lot of work and time.
Old 10 October 2018, 19:09   #4
lesta_smsc

Is it worth much to sell on as parts or project for someone else?

Old 10 October 2018, 20:14   #5
Daedalus

Possibly, but probably not a huge amount. I bought a bare board for parts, not working but with much less damage than yours for £10 a year or two ago, but with a keyboard etc. it would be worth a bit more.
Old 10 October 2018, 20:30   #6
voyager
The show must go on.

Send a message via MSN to voyager
First clean it up, and take a closer look. Are the tracks eaten of are they still fine. Replace the socket clean the IC and try turning it on.
Old 10 October 2018, 20:34   #7
lesta_smsc

Where can I get the socket needed? I mean to say what am I searching for?

Old 10 October 2018, 20:53   #8
Daedalus

They're standard 0.1" pitch DIL sockets, 0.6" wide - Paula and Gary will need 48-pin ones, and the CIA will need a 40-pin one. Get turned-pin DIL sockets, they're much better than the standard leaf-contact types. Agnus will possibly need an 84-pin PLCC socket too, and those logic chips will need to be replaced too. I tend to socket them while I'm at it, 20-pin 0.1" x 0.3" DIL sockets. You can get them all from any decent electronics supplier - RS components and Farnell both have next-day delivery from warehouses in the UK.
Old 10 October 2018, 21:20   #9
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
First clean it up, and take a closer look. Are the tracks eaten of are they still fine. Replace the socket clean the IC and try turning it on.
I am afraid traces at least between U12 and U13 are gone, it is clearly visible.
Old 12 October 2018, 14:52   #10
lesta_smsc

I've given it to a friend as this type of repair is beyond me. He'll either try to fix, use for parts or maybe sell on!?

Old 12 October 2018, 15:08   #11
Franchute13

Very nice computer.
Personally I think it can be repaired!
Old 12 October 2018, 15:37   #12
project23
Used Register

If you don't care much about things possibly looking/getting worse - take some lemon juice to the damaged areas immediately using cotton swabs to get what you can of the remaining acid (alkali? surely?) from the board.

I have a 512k upgrade for an A500 that is on the shelf waiting to become a project - it is in a similar state, and the first thing I did was totally submerge the board in a tub of lemon juice for a few hours, just to be sure.

Obviously you can't submerge it, but cotton swabbing is the proper process anyway.

If you're wanting a project, you'll be able to assess the viability of it after cleaning it up this way. Preferably have some IPA around to clean it after the lemon juice.

Vinegar will also do it. Not sure which is better really.

John
Old 12 October 2018, 15:38   #13
project23
Used Register

Where are you? If you're in the northwest at all and don't want it i'll happily buy it from you for a tenner. PM if interested.

John
Old 12 October 2018, 20:40   #14
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
Where are you? If you're in the northwest at all and don't want it i'll happily buy it from you for a tenner. PM if interested.

John
Unfortunately I've already given it to a friend. He's got more experience in such matters than me.

Old 12 October 2018, 20:41   #15
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchute13 View Post
Very nice computer.
Personally I think it can be repaired!
I hope so! Friend said he will try or sell on for parts so I can get my A500 in a better shape