English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 20 November 2011, 23:42   #1
uridium

Geek Gadgets, GCC and Ada

Okay, I'm still admittedly still stuck in the Devpac2 and gcc 3.4 era via Geek Gadgets and a very old devpac2 diskette from an AF magazine. GG doesn't seem to have been updated in a while (2004'ish), is there a new project somewhere with these tools where these tools are supported?

Okay, let the language bashing and bike shed painting begin But! I oft have to roll Ada code for work and admittedly sometimes for play. I'm used to building GCC with Ada (GNAT) support on IRIX and HP-UX so it hopefully won't be "that" hard to get it working on Amiga. I'd love to be doing this on the Amiga along with my other dev work but the version of GNAT I'd have to build with GCC 3.4 is missing pretty much all of the post Ada95 (with a few bits missing) language features which I use. Ideas? Pointers? Flames?
Old 21 November 2011, 17:47   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
AROS 68k should have a newer toolchain than the old GG ports to AmigaOS.

The problem with Amiga ports of GCC etc. is that the HUNK binary format that was developed for Amiga isn't maintained while the ELF binary format used by Linux and AROS are actively maintained. GDB and other parts of the GNU toolchain work best with the ELF binary format.

If you don't think AROS 68k is ready for prime time yet, you're probably right. In that case, use something like AfaOS which is a hybrid of the two. If memory serves me correctly, the newest release of AfaOS will take either ELF or HUNK binaries.
Old 22 November 2011, 20:54   #3
uridium

Hi Samurai,

Sadly, AROS doesn't interest me at all (after previous experiences with it) and the question was directed squarely at AmigaOS 3.x (3.9 in my case). Food for thought anyway thanks Mostly looking for projects headed in the direction of either maintaining the existing geek gadgets or something with approximately the same goals of getting the toolchain and bolt-on projects working that I can contribute to.