English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 21 April 2013, 01:58   #21
tesla

I wouldn't be surprised if it's your cable. It seems that there are several different versions of null modem cables, perhaps yours is not the spec needed, or is defective. If you decide to build the null modem cable I built, I'll glad to answer any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest 2084 View Post
I'm using the exact same parameters. Do you think it's the cable at this point? I guess I could try that CAT 5 cable adapter. I'm kind of bummed that my cable might be bad, but at this point I can't see what else it could be.

Last edited by tesla; 21 April 2013 at 02:07.
Old 21 April 2013, 02:32   #22
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it's your cable. It seems that there are several different versions of null modem cables, perhaps yours is not the spec needed, or is defective. If you decide to build the null modem cable I built, I'll glad to answer any questions.
So it's just these two parts and a regular CAT 5 cable?

http://www.wallcoinc.com/Pan_Pacific...dm-25f8-gr.htm
http://www.wallcoinc.com/Pan_Pacific...adm-9f8-gn.htm

That seems doable. Maybe I'll give that a shot. If it doesn't work then I'm only out $10.
Old 21 April 2013, 04:40   #23
tesla

Yes, assuming that your PC uses a DB-9 for it's serial port.

If not, use two db-25's.

Remember, success depends on your wiring it correctly.
I hope you have a multimeter, and please read my brief note about making the null modem bable, referenced to earlier in this thread.

BTW, to make the wiring easier, plug the cat5 cable into both db connectors to trace the wiring. If you have to use 2 db-25's, be aware that both connectors are wired differently, mark them appropriately.

Quote:
So it's just these two parts and a regular CAT 5 cable?

http://www.wallcoinc.com/Pan_Pacific...dm-25f8-gr.htm
http://www.wallcoinc.com/Pan_Pacific...adm-9f8-gn.htm

That seems doable. Maybe I'll give that a shot. If it doesn't work then I'm only out $10.
Old 21 April 2013, 14:59   #24
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

I do have a multimeter I can use and my PC uses a DB-9 plug. So is this as simple as looking at the diagram and putting the correct colored cables into the correct pin holes or is there more to it than that?
Old 21 April 2013, 21:40   #25
tesla

Thats it, just make sure your very sure before you insert the wires, the wires are not easily removable.

And, just to make sure, plug both sides in, then check and insert wires, then recheck after.

Quote:
I do have a multimeter I can use and my PC uses a DB-9 plug. So is this as simple as looking at the diagram and putting the correct colored cables into the correct pin holes or is there more to it than that?
Old 21 April 2013, 23:50   #26
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Gah, shipping is about $15 which is the minimum order amount so this is looking to cost $31 which is way more than it should. Is there any cheaper place to get these parts or can someone build me one cheaper than that?
Old 22 April 2013, 02:59   #27
tesla

I think I could build one for you, contact me off-list.

Quote:
Gah, shipping is about $15 which is the minimum order amount so this is looking to cost $31 which is way more than it should. Is there any cheaper place to get these parts or can someone build me one cheaper than that?
Old 22 April 2013, 07:28   #28
Cymru

Amiga Explorer Connection Problem

Amazon has a 25-male to 9-female null modem cable 10-feet long for $2.50 + $3.40 shipping by SF Cable
Old 22 April 2013, 12:20   #29
lesta_smsc

The only issue with all null modem cables is the schematics may be different therefore not interchangeable between PC/Amiga for the specifications needed in our case. I am curious however, if anyone has had much luck with a pre-manufactured serial cable which has worked (out of the box).

I've seen this one: http://www.amigamaniac.com/miscellaneous.html - only AUD$5 = just under £4!?

Also the very obvious and reliable source is AmigaKit! http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=787

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 22 April 2013 at 16:48.
Old 22 April 2013, 17:18   #30
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
The only issue with all null modem cables is the
Also the very obvious and reliable source is AmigaKit! http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=787
I'm 99% sure that's where I got mine. Not only does it look exactly the same, I can't think of another place where I could of bought it. Maybe it is my PC and not the cable?
Old 22 April 2013, 17:28   #31
thomas

Are you still stuck at transferring the Amiga components of Amiga Explorer to the Amiga?

Transferring a file over a serial cable without error correction is like gambling. I managed to get this done correctly perhaps once in my life and never again since.

You should do yourself a favour and copy the two files which are needed to a 720k floppy disk and carry the disk to your Amiga. The files are located somewhere in C:\Program files\Cloanto\Amiga Explorer\<I don't remember the rest>. You need AExplorer and AExplorer.info. On the Amiga you need CrossDOS or similar to read the disk.

Once AExplorer is running on the Amiga, Amiga Explorer should be able to connect to it, even with a somewhat bad cable.
Old 22 April 2013, 17:44   #32
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Are you still stuck at transferring the Amiga components of Amiga Explorer to the Amiga?

Transferring a file over a serial cable without error correction is like gambling. I managed to get this done correctly perhaps once in my life and never again since.

You should do yourself a favour and copy the two files which are needed to a 720k floppy disk and carry the disk to your Amiga. The files are located somewhere in C:\Program files\Cloanto\Amiga Explorer\<I don't remember the rest>. You need AExplorer and AExplorer.info. On the Amiga you need CrossDOS or similar to read the disk.

Once AExplorer is running on the Amiga, Amiga Explorer should be able to connect to it, even with a somewhat bad cable.
Yes that's still what I'm trying to do.

Actually I would have done that first thing, but I don't have CrossDOS. I'm using WB 1.3 and I think CrossDOS is a WB 2.0 and higher app (correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe instead of having someone build me a new cable I can get someone to put those files onto an Amiga formatted disk? That might be easier (and cheaper).
Old 22 April 2013, 19:18   #33
thomas

How long do you own this Amiga? Don't you have a software collection of some sort? There are programs which can read PC floppy disks on Kick 1.3. Look for Dos2Dos, MessyDOS, MSH. These are only the few I remember. I am sure there are more.
Old 22 April 2013, 19:21   #34
kipper2k

I'm not sure if people realise this but there is an easy way to get files on your Amiga once its setup. You use a USB CF card reader and CF card plugged into your PC, set it up on Winuae as a bootable HDD and you can set up a PC shared directory to copy files onto it and then plug the CF card back into the Amiga.

You can also create a fat32 CF card using the USB CF reader and copy files on to it, then plug it into the PCMCIA slot of the Amiga too.

P.S. don't have an A2000 up and running so not sure whether this setup could be done or not. But for the a600/a1200 should be easy
Old 22 April 2013, 19:43   #35
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
How long do you own this Amiga? Don't you have a software collection of some sort? There are programs which can read PC floppy disks on Kick 1.3. Look for Dos2Dos, MessyDOS, MSH. These are only the few I remember. I am sure there are more.
I got rid of all that stuff when I sold off my A1200. When I got my new A2000 it didn't come with any programs.

I'm going to try a few things here:

1. I think I have an old laptop with a serial port. I'll try that one and see if it works (maybe it's just my PC being picky).

2. Failing that I have someone working on a new cable for me

3. If 2 also fails then maybe I can get someone to put those two AE files on an Amiga formatted disk for me so I can copy them over to my 2000.
Old 22 April 2013, 19:54   #36
lesta_smsc

Maybe someone local can send you the files needed on a disk.

In all fairness. The best way I transferred was using gzip and MS-DOS formatted disk with CrossDOS. I did have a HDD at the time which I unzipped files to and it saved it being split as most are less than 880k anyways! Also - if I'm not mistaken, I think there is a software which unzips and writes at the same time though not sure if this is a phantom of my imagination!
Old 12 May 2013, 22:01   #37
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

I got it working today, it was a bad cable after all.

Now that I can transfer disk files, how can I write them to actual working disks?
Old 12 May 2013, 22:20   #38
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
I got it working today, it was a bad cable after all.

Quote:
Now that I can transfer disk files, how can I write them to actual working disks?
Put a floppy disk in one of your Amiga's physical floppy drives (internal or external), format it using the AE Format tool (this step may not be necessary, I can't remember) and then drag the file you wish to write to the floppy disk from the PC over the appropriate Amiga floppy drive icon and drop it there. This will write the file to the floppy disk directly!
Old 12 May 2013, 23:06   #39
thomas

Quote:
In the Amiga Explorer window you see two icons for each drive. One icon shows the drive as a directory and the other one show it as a backup image.

If you want to restore an ADF file you have to drag & drop it over the image icon to create a working disk.

If you have Amiga files (programs, text files, pictures etc.) which you want to store on a floppy disk, you should copy them to the directory.

The other way works similar: if you want to see the contents of a floppy disk (the files which are stored on it), you open the directory. If you want to create an ADF from the disk, you copy the image file to your PC.
Old 12 May 2013, 23:34   #40
Tempest 2084
Prototype Historian

Quote:
In the Amiga Explorer window you see two icons
If you want to restore an ADF file you have to drag & drop it over the image icon to create a working disk.
That easy huh? I'll have to give this a try tomorrow. Thanks!