English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 15 April 2013, 13:59   #21
tesla

Strange

Ami, thanks for the Offer of the d/l of Toaster 3.0

However, I, for some reason, am forbidden entrance to the Zone.
Old 15 April 2013, 21:17   #22
emufan

thanks for the toaster2.0 software Ami_GFX.

tesla: read my previous post
Old 15 April 2013, 21:21   #23
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla View Post
However, I, for some reason, am forbidden entrance to the Zone.
Have a look here:

How do I get access to The Zone?
Old 17 April 2013, 04:30   #24
tesla

Ok, now I am a member of the Zone, thank you.

EDIT:

Ok, I joined, but I can't actually find the Zone to read messages.

Last edited by tesla; 17 April 2013 at 05:01.
Old 17 April 2013, 16:28   #25
emufan

next to the logout-button you find the link to the zone. it is just a list of uploaded files
Old 17 April 2013, 19:04   #26
tesla

Thanks, it was so obvious, I never saw it.
Old 17 April 2013, 21:27   #27
emufan

good. did you found " AsimCDFS_v3.90a.dms" there ? download and install, if it ask for a name of the device you are about to install, just choose CD0, or CD5 ( it is just a name ) - but dont overwrite your CD1 - it then will start the scsi-inquire tool, and hopefully it is working better then the other cd-filesystems you were using.
if things goes well, you will have CD1 ( the old one) and the new one, maybe CD0, with the asimware cdrom filesystem.
Old 17 April 2013, 21:48   #28
tesla

Ok everyone, here is a copy of my startup sequence

; $ver: startup-sequence_ld 40.3 (31.8.93)
;startup-sequence for low-density floppies

C: setpatch Quiet
C: version >nil
C: addbuffers >nil: df0: 15
Fail at 21

C:makedir ram:t ram:clipboards ram:env ram::env/sys
C: copy >envarc: ram:env all noreq

Resident >nil:assign pure
Resident >nil: C:execute pure

Assign >nil: env: ram:env
Assign >nil: t: ram:t
Assign >nil: clips: ram:clipboards
Assign >nil: rexx: s:
Assign >nil: printers: devs:printers
Assign >nil: keymaps: devs:keymaps
Assign >nil: locale: sys:locale
Assign >nil: libs: sys:classes add

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
good. did you found " AsimCDFS_v3.90a.dms" there ? download and install, if it ask for a name of the device you are about to install, just choose CD0, or CD5 ( it is just a name ) - but dont overwrite your CD1 - it then will start the scsi-inquire tool, and hopefully it is working better then the other cd-filesystems you were using.
if things goes well, you will have CD1 ( the old one) and the new one, maybe CD0, with the asimware cdrom filesystem.
I did find that, thank you. But, I have not installed it yet, I wanted to know what you think of my having CacheCDFS installed.

Last edited by prowler; 17 April 2013 at 21:56. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 18 April 2013, 03:26   #29
tesla

well...

I d/l'ed Toaster, and converted the 1st disk, and then burned it to floppy.

I hate to say this, but it has the exact same problem as the ver 1 toaster disk. Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami_GFX View Post
There might be some incompatibilities with the early version of the Toaster software you have and the later OS 3.1. I've seen this with Newtek's Digiview software when I upgraded my A2500 from OS 2.1 and 2.05 rom to OS 3.1 and Kickstart 3.1. Digiview stopped working at some resolutions. I have adfs of Toaster 2.0. For an A2000 system that might be a better option and I know this version works with OS 3.1 in an A2000 Toaster. A while back I had an A2000 Toaster working with 2.0 and 4.3 installed. Toaster 4.3 is nice but you need an A4000 with a Toaster 4000 and a Flyer to get the full benefit. 2.0 was the version that really took off and one reason that 1.0 is so rare is that Newtek quickly replaced it with 2.0.

I've uploaded a zip of the Toaster 2.0 adfs to the zone. If you can't get version 1.0 to install, 2.0 should work for you and you will just need to copy the adfs to floppies. 14 dsdd floppies in all. Making the floppies won't be nearly as dificult as editing an install script.
Old 18 April 2013, 05:12   #30
Ami_GFX

There should be options for novice, intermediate and advanced installation. You should be able to to chose the partition to install it in in intermediate and advanced installation. I got it to work with 4.3 which installs both Toaster 3.5 and 4.2 on the same partition by installing the 4.3 dual install on my work partition and 2.0 on my system partition.
Old 18 April 2013, 07:33   #31
tesla

I'm not sure what is happening, but I never get past the opening screen. (which looks just like the 1.0 screen)

It tells me that I don't have enough room on my HDD, (I have 500 megs) and thats it.
Old 19 April 2013, 00:36   #32
Ami_GFX

If there is a problem with the disk--usually caused by shutting down the Amiga while it is writing to the disk, the disk or a partition will have all the files but will have 0 bytes available and if you right click information in the icon menu with the disk selected, it will say "validating". That is the only thing I could think of that would cause this. Validation is an automatic background disk repair and it usually just takes a few minutes but I've had a few times where it didn't work and I had to copy the files to another disk or partition and reformat the disk and then copy the files back to the original disk.
Old 19 April 2013, 05:12   #33
tesla

That isn't the problem, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 19 April 2013, 22:42   #34
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi tesla,

If I get time this weekend, I'll have a look at Disk 1 of Ami_GFX's v2.0 set and see if there might be a workaround for your problem.

If I can't get it done over the weekend, I'll look at it as soon as I can.
Old 20 April 2013, 02:41   #35
Ami_GFX

I just gave the adf a run in Winuae. It is not the standard installer that came with later versions. I had 3 partitions that it could install to and it would only let me install to DH1. There wasn't enough room on DH0 but plenty on DH2 so I think you are restricted to drives DH0 and DH1. I did get it on my system partition so I could install 4.3 on the Work partition. I don't remember any problems with the basic installation but I had to install 2.0 first on my system partition and then 4.3. Toaster 2.0 worked with the 3.5 libaries but not vice-versa.

Ok, I made a new hdf file with lots of room and put WB2.04 on it and and new work hdf for partition DH1. I did the full install with Winuae. It is not a standard Amiga installation script at all. I had it confused with the 3.X Toaster disks. Only the first disk is in the standard Amiga format. The rest aren't readable from workbench but are recognized by the install program. Only DH0 and DH1 are options. I put it on DH1 and Toaster 2.0 took around 29mb on DH1 and 1mb on DH0.

You will need 1mb on your system partition and 29mb free on your Work partition. It looks like they have to be DH0 and DH1 for the install to work. You can check the drive IDs and change them with HDToolbox. It's possible that your system is set up with non standard IDs. When I set up CF cards with HDtoolbox in OS3.1, it changed the standard DHs to THs for a Transcend CF card and CHs for another brand so my A4000D had TH0, TH1 etc instead of DH0 and DH1. I had to manually set them to the standard ID. HDtoolbox sets zip disks as ZH0. It's also possible that the Work partition could be set up as something other than DH1.

I tested the install program in OS3.1 and it worked the same.

Last edited by Ami_GFX; 20 April 2013 at 03:33.
Old 20 April 2013, 14:20   #36
tesla

Hi Ami,

I'm afraid you lost me here.

I have a 1 meg HDD, and I have it partitioned in half, 500 meg per partition. From what you have said, I might be able to get it to work, but I have no idea how.
Old 20 April 2013, 15:07   #37
Ami_GFX

Amiga OS basics. Each partition will have an ID, usually DH0, DH1 etc, that is set with HDToolbox or another partitioning tool and a name like WB, Work or Storage that is set with Workbench. Open up HDtoolbox or the Blizzard HD tool from and check each partitions ID. You can also change it if it is not a standard ID. This will not affect the data on the partitions with HD toolbox. I'm pretty sure that this will be the same for the Blizzard tool but I've never used it so don't know my way around the program.
Old 20 April 2013, 15:55   #38
tesla

Ok, I renamed sdh0 and sdh1 to dh0 and dh1

It made no difference.

Now, it seems that your saying below that if I adjust my partition to 1 meg for workbench, the install possibly will work?

Quote:
You will need 1mb on your system partition and 29mb free on your Work partition. It looks like they have to be DH0 and DH1 for the install to work. You can check the drive IDs and change them with HDToolbox. It's possible that your system is set up with non standard IDs. When I set up CF cards with HDtoolbox in OS3.1, it changed the standard DHs to THs for a Transcend CF card and CHs for another brand so my A4000D had TH0, TH1 etc instead of DH0 and DH1. I had to manually set them to the standard ID. HDtoolbox sets zip disks as ZH0. It's also possible that the Work partition could be set up as something other than DH1.

I tested the install program in OS3.1 and it worked the same.
Old 20 April 2013, 23:09   #39
Ami_GFX

You will need about 1mb free space above what is already on your system partition and 29mb free space on the work partition to install Toaster 2.0. I tested the adfs with Winuae and that is what the instalation should require for free space on your disk: Around 30mb to install on a DH0 system partition and 1mb of the system partition and 29mb on the work partition for a DH1 Work install. If you don't have these amounts of free space, it won't install. If you adjust the system partition to 1mb, Workbench won't work. The system partition should be at around 50mb in my experience. More for newer versions of Amiga OS but 3.1 has plenty of breathing room with 50mb. Unless there is too little space, there should be no need to readjust partition size. If you change the size, you will lose all the data and have to reinstall. Making a partition bootable or changing its ID won't affect the data on the partition.
Old 21 April 2013, 01:46   #40
tesla

Quote:
You will need about 1mb free space above what is already on your system partition and 29mb free space on the work partition to install Toaster 2.0. I tested the adfs with Winuae and that is what the instalation should require for free space on your disk: Around 30mb to install on a DH0 system partition and 1mb of the system partition and 29mb on the work partition for a DH1 Work install. If you don't have these amounts of free space, it won't install. If you adjust the system partition to 1mb, Workbench won't work. The system partition should be at around 50mb in my experience. More for newer versions of Amiga OS but 3.1 has plenty of breathing room with 50mb. Unless there is too little space, there should be no need to readjust partition size. If you change the size, you will lose all the data and have to reinstall. Making a partition bootable or changing its ID won't affect the data on the partition.
As I have an almost new install, I have lots of free space on both partitions.

I have free:

WORKBENCH = 1% full, 510 MB free

Storage = 6% full, 486 MB free

Last edited by prowler; 21 April 2013 at 21:18. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.