English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 03 October 2017, 16:39   #2181
Bprepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
Question for Kipper, what cap should I put next to the PIC?
based on PIC datasheets I've seen you want a 100nF (0.1uF) ceramic
The schematic from which I've based the '32G keyboard design on comes from the A500 keyboard to PS/2 and uses the same PIC, and doesn't spec a value for the Cap, so I went searching and 100nF is what I found.
Old 03 October 2017, 16:48   #2182
alenppc

Thanks!

For those looking for a simple riser I am happy to build & sell you a few cheap (no PIC or RGB, that would be up to you if you want to go that route or buy one fully populated directly from kipper).
Old 03 October 2017, 17:11   #2183
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bprepared View Post
Excellent news,
If someone can do a test to check that the clock signal will survive the transistion to the riser and back using an extension cable, I'll put a header and SP3T switch footprint on the FB-32G Rev 1 for easy disabling.
All good here Bprepped
just flashed Steve`s no fast Ram.JED and used some long Fly leads to hang just out side the back of the case with a jumper on the end .
First tried it with no jumper and ....No fast ram just the 2mb
Then I replaced the jumper and booted an Assassins CD and selected the boot to Workbench option and...8mb is there, so success, Thanks Steve
Old 03 October 2017, 17:25   #2184
Akira

Quote:
I just got the PCBs for Kipper's new riser. Notice how it now sits lower than the previous version. That makes it mandatory to insulate the bottom of the card otherwise sparks will fly.
Nice one Alen!
I keep being worried about the back though. I think I should design a 3D printable cover to cover at least the bottom area of most risers, all those exposed pins make me nervous.
Quote:
On the plus side, now I got to confirm that cards built with alliance ram work great. They boot with & without IDE, the few CD-ROM games I tried load fine (haven't tried Alfred Chicken yet, will try it in the following days), but it seems it's safe to say the alliance ram is 100% compatible.
Good stuff we have 3 types of RAM to get to build this, I think that's a pretty good selection, and let's leave the Hinyx stuff in oblivion :P

I should get that Xilinx flasher soon, now that there's an option to disable!
Old 03 October 2017, 17:26   #2185
kipper2k

plasmab is right, both caps are 0.1uf. I deliberately lowered the upper connector to allow easier removal of the CF card. There is still enough clearance for the tf328, make sure you put a felt furniture pad or somethng else to stop the board from bottoming out and it will be prfect

@akira, design me a back and i will print it!

ps, still nothin wrong with my hynix

here is a pic of the LED from my cf adapter...

and another view...

Old 03 October 2017, 17:32   #2186
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
@akira, design me a back and i will print it!
I will try dude! I think it would be nice to have, and maybe it can even fit a variety of risers if I just cover the lower part. Can't really tell though as I don't have every riser out there though, but an open design should allow for mods.

Quote:
ps, still nothin wrong with my hynix
And I still cannot think that is right after not being just me experiencing issues with it.
If you want, you could send me a board for me to test and I'll send it back after I put it through its paces. Maybe you do have magic RAM

I also want to put an LED for HD activity and was going to do what supaduper did!
Do you guys think there's anywhere on the TF328 the LED can be added instead? Or better yet, on the motherboard of the CD32, because if you do this mod it means you can't pull the boards from the back anymore.
Old 03 October 2017, 17:35   #2187
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I will try dude! I think it would be nice to have, and maybe it can even fit a variety of risers if I just cover the lower part. Can't really tell though as I don't have every riser out there though, but an open design should allow for mods.

And I still cannot think that is right after not being just me experiencing issues with it.
If you want, you could send me a board for me to test and I'll send it back after I put it through its paces. Maybe you do have magic RAM

I also want to put an LED for HD activity and was going to do what supaduper did!
Do you guys think there's anywhere on the TF328 the LED can be added instead? Or better yet, on the motherboard of the CD32, because if you do this mod it means you can't pull the boards from the back anymore.
It can be done on the tf328 with 2 wires, resistor and LED. and soldering. This is why i made the backwards CF card with a 2 pin header on it for easy LED installation. Mabbe a Rev 2 can have this on the board

iwill post dimensions later for my board for a box design. It can be a simple drop down hook onto cover, nothin fancy. As always if i had time i would do myself, time is slipping away from me

Last edited by kipper2k; 03 October 2017 at 17:40.
Old 03 October 2017, 18:42   #2188
alenppc

Kipper, did you paint your CD32 shield yellow?
Old 03 October 2017, 18:51   #2189
kipper2k

Quote:
Kipper, did you paint your CD32 shield yellow?

Yup, it was rusty so i cleaned it up and painted it with tremclad.
Old 03 October 2017, 19:25   #2190
cip060

Kipper I need the RGB PS2 riser
You have a PM
Old 03 October 2017, 19:31   #2191
Bprepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
All good here Bprepped
just flashed Steve`s no fast Ram.JED and used some long Fly leads to hang just out side the back of the case with a jumper on the end .
First tried it with no jumper and ....No fast ram just the 2mb
Then I replaced the jumper and booted an Assassins CD and selected the boot to Workbench option and...8mb is there, so success, Thanks Steve
Thanks for that Mark,
I'll factor it in to any further designs.
Old 03 October 2017, 19:57   #2192
solidcore

@Mark good result mate.
@Bprepared I believe I took care of it on solidcore riser board in a preemptive move lol although I could be wrong, we'll see , and are you're adding two headers? a 3 way and 2 way? I also added ide & jtag passthrough for sake of convenience lol.

Chris
Old 03 October 2017, 20:48   #2193
Bprepared

@solidcore
You did indeed mate, I think I said it was a good idea at the time. the thing is The FB-32R should allow ribbon cables to be passed over top of it, and right angle headers should fit in-between it and the module, but I'm intending to keep the '32G as small in size as possible so that pcb manufacturing costs are kept low, so I will pass on the IDE this time. I'll see if I can put a JTAG pass-thru in somewhere though.

This is the switch I have in mind.
Old 03 October 2017, 21:24   #2194
alenppc

Kipper, is it intended that on your new riser the upper mounting hole for the PS2 connector is cut off?
Old 03 October 2017, 22:39   #2195
durniplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcore View Post
@Mark good result mate.
@Bprepared I believe I took care of it on solidcore riser board in a preemptive move lol although I could be wrong, we'll see , and are you're adding two headers? a 3 way and 2 way? I also added ide & jtag passthrough for sake of convenience lol.

Chris

I like these ideas
Old 03 October 2017, 23:20   #2196
solidcore

@bprepared are you ordering some of these switches mate and sweet glad I've got it covered then .

@durniplot thanks mate also I plan the addon board will solder over the edge connector pins as they're quite long for rgb kb etc .

Chris
Old 03 October 2017, 23:55   #2197
durniplot

Quote:
@durniplot thanks mate also I plan the addon board will solder over the edge connector pins as they're quite long for rgb kb etc .

Thing is, I've been email/pm'ing about passthrough's for jumpers, jtag and external ide with several people the past week, so it's almost as you were reading my thoughts.
Old 04 October 2017, 00:23   #2198
Bprepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by durniplot View Post
Thing is, I've been email/pm'ing about passthrough's for jumpers, jtag and external ide with several people the past week, so it's almost as you were reading my thoughts.
Sorry I didn't get back to you mate, caught your PM whilst I was on the move and meant to point you Chris' way

Quote:
@bprepared are you ordering some of these switches mate and sweet glad I've got it covered then .
Haven't ordered them yet, but they're in the basket
Old 04 October 2017, 02:08   #2199
FREEMILK

CD32 3d print back end

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2497682

This could be downloaded and modified most of the work is done.
Old 04 October 2017, 09:16   #2200
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEMILK;1189568[url
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2497682[/url]This could be downloaded and modified most of the work is done.
Nice find