English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 May 2019, 09:36   #1
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Play Station Store Special on SOTB and Gauntlet

May be area specific....,

But I logged into PSN Store today (I hardly ever do) and I had Shadow of the Beast and Gauntlet sitting in my basket since before Christmas......

And then I noticed the pricing.

BOTH games were showing as $7.55 (AUD), and a discount of -$37.80 was also showing, and the total sure enough was now $15.10

PURCHASED!

So if you're interested in these 2 (or others) I'd suggest checking it out.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-21.png
Views:	365
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	63208  
Old 23 May 2019, 09:52   #2
Foebane
Banned

SO, how do they pale in comparison with their Amiga counterparts?
Old 23 May 2019, 13:42   #3
roondar

The Gauntlet game is actually quite nice, though I'm not convinced it's "truly Gauntlet". Dunno why, maybe the dual stick control and secondary weapons/skills simply feels too different from the standard joystick controls I'm used to.

Never played the SOTB game, but I hear it's not very good (which probably makes it miles better than the Amiga version and fits the source material nicely ).
Old 23 May 2019, 13:58   #4
DamienD
Banned

Re: SOTB.

If this is the same thing as Shadow of the Beast 4 for PS4 then I believe people thought it was decent. I haven't played it though as I don't own any consoles.

It also contains the original Amiga version of SOTB.
Old 23 May 2019, 14:16   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Probably real value of those games, and on discount would accept it at around 1-2 bucks. (or as part of another PS4 humble bundle)
Old 23 May 2019, 15:03   #6
ransom1122

Although SOTB is worth one play through. Not worth a second. You do unlock the amiga version as you play. IMO emulation on winuae or other platforms is better.

Either way definitly worth buying if it's on the cheap.
Old 24 May 2019, 04:18   #7
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Yeah I was hovering on both as what I'd term "retro remakes" are interesting to me.

Carmageddon Max Damage was one that started it. It took a lot of hate in reviews, both from fans of the original AND from people who clearly hadn't played or understood the original and were probably only just still wetting the bed when it came out.

But I played it and LOVED it. ANd that's all that counts.

Only played the above Gauntlet and SOTB a little so far so I wont pass judgement in full yet but to me the feeling is....

Gauntlet:
Modern recreation that is still simple enough to feel faithful, and most importantly, features local (non network) multiplayer for up to 4 players, which is such a rare thing these days. One of my LOL playing 19 year old boys watched me trying it out and INSTANTLY said "This would be fun for us to all play together". Job done!

SOTB:
Again, does what it sets out to do in a way. Graphics and sound AND music all feel like a modern take on the original, but doesn't blow you away (which the original did). My main criticism already though is, while it is a side scrolling button basher, it also adds modern style complex multi button combo moves (some of which dont even seem to work....(press R2 and square for health. Uses 1 blood doesn't seem to work for me even when I have 3 blood bars full), AND in my first boss fight, it seems the controls I'd spent the firs level learning, suddenly COMPLETELY changed?????

EDIT: Sorry one thing that DOES piss me off with SOTB already is control explanation mini cut scenes. These are mostly at the start and I'm hoping they are just while the game is introducing you to the game play mechanics and controls, but for me they REALLY upset the flow of the first level, and it just points out that the controls should be more intuitive. A good game doesn't need explaining (imho) /edit

....but I still like it.

With these retro remakes, I never expect them to be 100% faithful OR 100% new and ground braking, because I dont think either is possible. I expect them to sit somewhere comfortably in the middle, which these 2 seem to do.
Old 27 May 2019, 02:39   #8
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Been playing SOTB over the weekend and I actually quite like it the more I get into it.

The mini cut scenes are still annoying, as is the "zoom in on special move" game mechanic that it employs, but the game looks and sounds fantastic imho. I'm not a huge fan of side scrolling platformers in this modern era, but when played with retro spectacles on, it works.

If they'd have upset the flow of play a little less, (and I'm being picky as a personal preference) I'd argue ti really does drag the original into the near modern era, but making it dated enough to feel nostalgic and new at the same time.

I'll go against the flow on this one....I think it's a great job.