English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 August 2018, 21:43   #1
cprfoundation

DKB 1240 FW Upgrade problems... "sorry... an error has occured! Couldnt run cpuspeed"

Ive got a 1200 with a DKB 1240 (24Mhz 68030 CPU and 50Mhz FPU) expansion card with 16MB ram and since upgrading the KS from 3.0 to 3.1 I get a purple screen on boot.
I've removed the ram on the expansion board which allows boot up and I have also located the FW update package for the expansion card, which appears to be the fix for a KS3.1 boot problem.
When I extract the files and copy them to a CF card and then run the installer I get the following error:

sorry... an error has occured! Couldnt run cpuspeed

Sysinfo lists the processor as a 68030 running at 21Mhz if I read it right and it only shows the ram as 2MB as the 16MB Simm has been removed to allow boot.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a more serious problem than a FW upgrade?

Old 10 August 2018, 00:03   #2
grelbfarlk

Did you try removing the 50MHz crystal and configuring it so the FPU runs off of the CPU crystal? Then rerunning the installer?
Old 10 August 2018, 00:09   #3
cprfoundation

Thanks for the reply,

No I hadn't even thought of that.

Removing the crystal I can do I guess with a soldering iron, but how do you reconfigure it to use the CPU clock, or does it default to using it when the crystal is missing?

Cheers

Old 10 August 2018, 04:59   #4
grelbfarlk

As I recall there is a jumper between the two crystals to use the extra FPU crystal or the CPU crystal. You shouldn't have to remove the FPU crystal-probably. The FPU crystal was mounted via pin sockets, but somebody might have soldered it in I guess.
Old 10 August 2018, 14:49   #5
cprfoundation

Hi,

That doesn’t seem to work, I moved the jumper to CPU from the other pins but still having the same outcome.

Is there a tool to check the state of the card and associated chips?

Old 10 August 2018, 15:22   #6
cprfoundation

Just as an update here’s what’s happened so far;

Tried just the jumper with no change.
Removed the crystal same result.
Removed FPU same result.

What I thought was a bit odd was that the CPU on the card is a MC68030RC33 which appears to be a 33Mhz chip and the FPU is a MC68882RC20A rated at 20Mhz.
The corresponding crystals are rated at 40Mhz and 28.6Mhz respectively so there’s a disparity between the chip requirement and what’s being delivered but also, should there be such a jump between CPU and FPU?

Sysinfo is showing the CPU to be running at 21Mhz so something’s amiss here.

I’m either lost or have a duff unit but this did work albeit with no benchmarks when on KS3.0

Old 10 August 2018, 15:47   #7
grelbfarlk

What do you mean no benchmarks on KS3.0?
Without FastRAM yeah it will be just barely faster than a stock A1200.

Also are you running the updater from a fresh no startup-sequence boot?
Sysinfo is notoriously unreliable for detecting speed, you might try WhichAmiga instead.
Old 10 August 2018, 15:58   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Not sure if this help but I experimented with DKB flasher when I added emulation support. It also returned some similar message (obviously because it can't detect speed under emulation). I think there was command line option to force select speed but don't blame me if possible wrong speed selection bricks the hardware.. In worst case you need desolder the flash chip and flash it manually with correct data. (Or it just adjusts memory timing etc and only makes it slower if wrong speed is selected?)

There is different small FPGA binary for each speed rating that gets flashed at the end of flash ROM which FPGA loads at boot.
Old 10 August 2018, 17:28   #9
cprfoundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
What do you mean no benchmarks on KS3.0?
Without FastRAM yeah it will be just barely faster than a stock A1200.

Also are you running the updater from a fresh no startup-sequence boot?
Sysinfo is notoriously unreliable for detecting speed, you might try WhichAmiga instead.
Sorry I meant to say that I’d never used any benchmarks before changing the KS roms to 3.1 so I’ve no idea if they were different.

I’ve switched back to KS 3.0 to see what happens and to get a decent reading, just trying to build a CF build as I don’t have disk versions of WB 3.0 only adfs.

Once it’s back to running I’ll check out which Amiga tool.

Cheers

Old 10 August 2018, 17:31   #10
cprfoundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Not sure if this help but I experimented with DKB flasher when I added emulation support. It also returned some similar message (obviously because it can't detect speed under emulation). I think there was command line option to force select speed but don't blame me if possible wrong speed selection bricks the hardware.. In worst case you need desolder the flash chip and flash it manually with correct data. (Or it just adjusts memory timing etc and only makes it slower if wrong speed is selected?)

There is different small FPGA binary for each speed rating that gets flashed at the end of flash ROM which FPGA loads at boot.
Everything you said sounds terrifying

I know what you mean I ran the updater on FS-UAE just to see what the result would be and it’s exactly the same error, so it’s not detecting the processor which would have been missing on the emulation setup.

I’m assuming that this update can be run on a WB3.1 setup but to be sure I’m going back to 3.0 to try from there.

Old 10 August 2018, 18:50   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I checked the update disk and it has following files in FlashCode directory:

B28_70NS.COD
B28_80NS.COD
B40_70NS.COD
B40_80NS.COD
B50_70NS.COD

(B<CPU speed>.<memory speed>.COD)

So B28_80NS.COD is the correct one (or 70ns if you have 70ns memory, 80ns would still work fine)

Comparing it against dump from current flash would confirm it. Flash ROM is mapped at $ea0000 $eaffff (even bytes only). You can for example use mon165.lha from aminet to dump it: "] ea0000 10000 ram:dump.bin" (without quotes). I can check if FPGA part matches any update file.

It is also possible someone else has flashed mismatched file. It could explain why flasher program don't detect correct CPU speed.