English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 February 2016, 06:42   #21
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
As a non-coding user...
Who said that I don't code? I really think you should care less about how I see a certain topic and not try to convince me that my opinion is wrong. Actually it's not really an opinion either and more based on facts as stated earlier. Anyway, I'm sure you'll come up with a wordy post to tell me that my world is bitter and needs more cats, but I will just move on to spend my time on things I enjoy rather than waste my time here defending a lost cause
Old 04 February 2016, 17:48   #22
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Who said that I don't code? I really think you should care less about how I see a certain topic and not try to convince me that my opinion is wrong. Actually it's not really an opinion either and more based on facts as stated earlier. Anyway, I'm sure you'll come up with a wordy post to tell me that my world is bitter and needs more cats, but I will just move on to spend my time on things I enjoy rather than waste my time here defending a lost cause
Your world IS bitter and you DO need more catz!! No lengthy post needed...

One game that I wonder how would look on Amiga - unEpic. No too big all the time changing world like Terraria, yet above complexity of any of Amiga games while still looking like something Amiga should be able to handle. (not coding complexity, but story and gameplay)

Sometimes I wonder would game like that be possible on Amiga....
Old 04 February 2016, 20:59   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Your world IS bitter and you DO need more catz!! No lengthy post needed...
You meanie!

Back on topic: I'd like to see somebody try a tower defense game (shouldn't be that hard) on the Amiga. It's one of those 'genres' that seem to be quite easy to implement and can be very fun to play if done right.
Old 04 February 2016, 21:09   #24
s2325
Zone Friend

Rampart had similar gameplay.
Old 04 February 2016, 21:12   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Similar, but the whole damage-while-being-in-the-range-of-towers mechanic isn't there. Just mentioning it since this seems to be on kind of modern games that should be possible on the Amiga without spending years of your life on it.
Old 04 February 2016, 23:07   #26
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
How about you address my point that there is progress left and right and that this contradicts your "better code than talk" stance? If you are immune to the phenomenon I described then you ought to explain how come this progress does not factor in your analysis.

That is all you would have to do to prove me wrong. Sarcasm is funny but not exactly productive.
Old 04 February 2016, 23:11   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Getting touchy? Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
If you are immune to the phenomenon I described then you ought to explain how come this progress does not factor in your analysis.
Please come up with an exact analysis of all game related (and not general port/machine optimization related) topics in the last three years and tell me how many turned up as finished. Tell me when you are done and what your verdict is then.

P.S.: You felt that you need to contradict my point in the first place. I'm happy to make you feel like being 'wrong' here, but I'm not really going to go into lengths to do so.
Old 04 February 2016, 23:11   #28
robinsonb5

I'd love to see something along the lines of Smash Hit done on the Amiga - it would be challenging, but possible I think. Would probably end up looking like something in between Vaxine and Interphase. (it wouldn't surprise me at all if it turned out that Vaxine had been a significant influence, actually.)

The physics would have to be massively simplified of course, but they're not essential for making a fun game in the same spirit.
Old 05 February 2016, 07:43   #29
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Getting touchy? Good.
?

Quote:
Please come up with an exact analysis of all game related (and not general port/machine optimization related) topics in the last three years and tell me how many turned up as finished. Tell me when you are done and what your verdict is then.
I do not think I should have to provide more evidence than you did, let us just agree to disagree.
Old 05 February 2016, 13:29   #30
Anubis
Retro Gamer

More catz for you too... apparently needed.

@ TCD - sure, tower defense game would be nice...
Old 05 February 2016, 15:32   #31
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

[off topic]Can I risk the OT and ask a (potentially sensible) question?

Why so much fruitless bickering around here? I've been noticing it on other threads too. It's as if everyone is in some sort of pissing contest. I really thought the Amiga community would be different by now...[/off topic]

One game that appears to be simple (in terms of apparent code and complexity) is [ Show youtube player ]. I reckon that it might make use of some Windows-only libraries and, if one was to port it to OCS, one would have to downgrade the graphics from 256 to 32 colours. The whole Windows version of the game is 3MB, so it would fit well onto 3 or 4 disks. Other than that, it seems it would be a pretty straightforward conversion job.

Apparently there was an early attempt to port it to the Sony PSP, so I guess the source-code is available, though I cannot attest to this. If it is not, maybe the author would make it available if he was politely asked for it.
Old 05 February 2016, 15:51   #32
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

More "off topic".

When did having a differing opinion or view become a negative thing? All i see is the difference of opinion. Nobody is using offensive lanuage or making personal attacks.

On another note. Good to see a healthy spark for more Amiga game endevours.
Old 06 February 2016, 18:07   #33
eXeler0

Quote:

Back on topic: I'd like to see somebody try a tower defense game (shouldn't be that hard) on the Amiga. It's one of those 'genres' that seem to be quite easy to implement and can be very fun to play if done right.
I always felt "RoboDefense" on Android would be doable on Amiga.
youtube link:
[ Show youtube player ]

I spent a A LOT of time with that game on my first Android Phone back in 2009/2010.. Simple but addictive..
Old 10 February 2016, 11:48   #34
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
Why so much fruitless bickering around here? I've been noticing it on other threads too. It's as if everyone is in some sort of pissing contest. I really thought the Amiga community would be different by now...
http://rs.io/online-community-building/

I don't want to go that far because I don't see it as "the Amiga community bickering" - its dudes (and dudettes) cramped up in the same forum talking about the same subjects for yonks that are bickering. Despite all that and the occasional explosions, we all get along. Well done, EAB.