English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 05 August 2005, 22:28   #1
Azy77

Myth sequel?

Myth was the first game I played on the Amiga (it came with the A600HD Epic pack) and I was amazed by it. Excellent sound, atmosphere, graphics and playability.

At the end of the game, there was a picture of the main character, called Ankalagan, and it said something like "Ankalagan will return in Dawn Of Steel". I waited and waited for this title to appear but nothing surfaced.

Eventually I sold the amiga (for £30, with 20 odd original games and 50+ "other" games and 2 joysticks), but now thanks to WinUAE, I can get back into the games I used to play whilst revising for my GCSE's back in the 90's.

I've looked on the net but can't find anyhting on Dawn Of Steel. Maybe System 3 decided not to bother making it?

One other question, is there anything similar to Myth on the Amiga or was Myth just a unique game? I've tried Gods and Deliverance (they're not exactly similar to Myth but they are sort of ish).

Old 05 August 2005, 22:44   #2
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
iirc magnetic scrolls went belly-up before they ever did a sequel
Old 05 August 2005, 23:43   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

There was no sequel to Myth unfortunately. A follow-up would have been a good opportunity to retain the best elements (the atmosphere and mythological setting that was mainly underused in Amiga games) and fix the less appealing aspects (the control of the main character).

Here's the screen from the end sequence - http://hol.abime.net/popup_picture.p...th_System3_s16

It was quite common for developers to use end sequences to optimistically announce never-to-appear sequels.

@Severin - Azy77 is asking about the System 3 arcade adventure rather than the Magnetic Scrolls text adventure.
Old 06 August 2005, 00:41   #4
Azy77

Damn. I suspected a sequal didn't exist, but thanks for confirming.

It definitely would have been excellent if a sequal was made - I agree that controlling the main character in myth on the original amiga was a bit of a pain as you had to reach for the keyboard often, but on the PC, I have a 12 button Thrustmaster joypad and thanks to WinUAE, I can configure all the keyboard keys onto the joypad.

Old 06 August 2005, 03:57   #5
StarEye
Zone Friend

Then I assume the game Myth III isn't the second sequel to Myth from System 3?
Old 06 August 2005, 06:15   #6
OddbOd

You assume correctly.

Along similar lines it's also a shame that Studio 3 has canned The Last Ninja, I haven't played a decent ninja adventure since Tenchu.
Old 06 August 2005, 11:14   #7
StarEye
Zone Friend

Is it finally canned? I didn't know, haven't ready anywhere that it's canned. I thought the screenshots looked great! Why on earth would they cancel such a potentially great game?
Old 14 August 2005, 16:50   #8
Shrub

There was an AGA remake of Myth wasn't there?
Old 15 August 2005, 04:58   #9
OddbOd

You might be thinking of the CD32 version which was a straight dump of the original ECS game.

StarEye: Yup it's dead (Google "last ninja" cancelled and check the newest results) but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it gets announced for PS3 or XBox360 (again).
Old 18 August 2005, 23:10   #10
Shrub

Actually, I think I was thinking of Exile lol
Old 28 August 2005, 14:43   #11
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

From Frank Gasking's excellent C64 GTW site:
http://www.gtw64.co.uk/
"..........
Myth was a massive game on the C64, which won awards because of its style and class it pocessed.

System 3 announced the work being started on a sequel, codenamed 'Dawn Of Steel'. The planned sequel would have had more stunning levels to do with Myths and Legends etc.

Not much of an outline was given on this game of what it would have been like, but system 3 as usual promised a sequel which would beat its original.

Ideas were drawn up, but actual coding was rumoured to have never began. In the end the idea remained gathering dust.

Did it ever get started?... do you know?

Frank.
(Additional source credits - Jazzcat).................."

Is System3/Studio 3, still going? Can't say I recall any titles from them in ages?
Old 30 August 2005, 00:00   #12
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-Zark-7
From Frank Gasking's excellent C64 GTW site:
http://www.gtw64.co.uk/
hey thanks for the great link, beautiful site!
Old 31 August 2005, 15:50   #13
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Thumbs up

No problems Marco! As the likes of Akira, The Wolf & other C64 fans that've lurked through here know it certainly ranks amongst the top C64 fansites, great to read of the oldtime C64 coder's & their various coding struggles.
The recent revelations of C64 parasol stars weren't as hilarious as Total Recall V1, but certainly rank as startling all the same!
Old 24 August 2014, 14:53   #14
Lobotomika

BAM zombie thread revival.

Sorry about that but I just found out this and thought maybe it could be related to the unreleased sequel.

Last edited by Lobotomika; 24 August 2014 at 15:35.
Old 25 August 2014, 02:40   #15
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

It could well be... I have a boxed copy of myth and the included poster and the boxart is of a barbarian. The same poster was also given free in an amiga magazine.

There was also mention of a sequel to Leander in the endgame credits; was it Lionander or something?