English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 03 December 2019, 14:52   #1
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Childhood memories...

With recent music form 80s and thread about sky channel, I wonder how much of tv stuff still brings nice memories... for example, for me love for computers started with BBC Computer Programme. Here is YT with episode 1

[ Show youtube player ]

I just find fascinating interview with Rex Malik at the end of the show. (~21:35)

This followed by Making the Most of the Micro and later Micro Live. Not sure why, but it seems our TV staff preffered BBC computers at the time.

[ Show youtube player ]

All of those shows intro still brings memories...

Anyone else remember Anglia's Survival??

[ Show youtube player ]

How about Beyond 2000?? (australia )
[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Where is my flying car??

Last edited by Anubis; 03 December 2019 at 15:00.
Old 03 December 2019, 15:18   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post

Where is my flying car??
Brrr, the thought alone gives me nightmares. Imagine that the current generation of road raging morons with the attention span of a baby is allowed to fly.

No no, first this needs to stop.
Old 03 December 2019, 15:35   #3
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Brrr, the thought alone gives me nightmares. Imagine that the current generation of road raging morons with the attention span of a baby is allowed to fly.

No no, first this needs to stop.
Oh, more people would like to have flying car?? I was hopping to avoid exactly that.

So, in your opinion, how long before we have future like Fifth Element?

BTW, you as usual, bring very good point.

Last edited by Anubis; 03 December 2019 at 15:55.
Old 03 December 2019, 16:47   #4
Zak
Zap´em

Decades ago, I read an article about a Guru who said that in meditation he could connect to his brain in the past or future and then just jump into that body.
I am meditating but didn't yet succeed.
Also the Guru would rather jump into the future, learn from there and then jump back.
Old 07 December 2019, 08:14   #5
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
In France, during the 80's, we were exposed to a localized version of a PBS educational TV show called 3,2,1 Contact. The open credits had such charm, it almost made me want to be better at school (in a know how things work intrinsically, and you will become king of the hill sort of way). To this day, no one bothered gathering the tapes it was recorded on, so there is very little YT illustration about what it was in details (same with MySpleen tracker, famous for its gigantic captured from previous decades TV shows database). Kids investigating cases mini-series 'The Bloodhound Gang' was featured, though there is no trace of such thing in my memory.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...eTwoOneContact

[ Show youtube player ]

Oh, sure, there were a few TV shows about kids playing computer games (e.q. Pixifoly's) under adults supervision, but I never was really much into that. Karen Cheryl had a show with that crap Amiga game from Denmark Hugo Délire, dispensable game show (and game series) though it could be argued that its female host does own a small share of Kim Basinger sex appeal.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last, but not least, there was this strange TV show from 1982 which was about sticking pre-cut assortment of vinyl shapes directly on the TV set when asked to. Then, background of a scene was animated before our very eyes with the shape astutely fitting some part of a ship, transport device or whatever :

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by SquawkBox; 07 December 2019 at 10:56.
Old 03 January 2020, 10:54   #6
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
PBS educational TV show called 3,2,1 Contact... missing from MySpleen tracker
My bad! It's there all right, uploader used 3-2-1 typo instead of 3, 2, 1, it's the reason why my previous search queries were unsuccessful. I've started watching the show from Season 1, it's a lot of fun : The alchemy between participants is delightful, reviving science away from classrooms is always captivating, and we even get to see British goirls in their early 20s strolling in swimsuits.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 03 January 2020 at 12:29.
Old 03 January 2020, 11:49   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

This is what makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside besides the already mentioned Sky Channel / Fun Factory.

* Transformers generation 1 cartoons. Except the movie because Optimus Prime dies. Screw that movie. Also: screw the writers who continuously wanted Optimus Prime dead.

* He-man. Watched and liked it just as much as Transformers.

* Inspector Gadget (the original cartoon) theme song. The cartoon itself is nice enough, but the theme song... legendary.

* Knight rider. If I watch it now I seriously wonder what I ever saw in this show except for the talking car, but it's still a blast from the past.

* Star Wars - a New Hope. My very first introduction into the Star Wars universe at a very young age. I was a bit of a scaredy cat for various reasons, Star Wars was intimidating but I could stomach it. That eye thing in the trash compactor gave me nightmares though.

* The reason I was a scaredy cat is because I saw the Alien chestburster scene waaay too early in my childhood as part of a TV quiz show, that screwed horror movies and gory scenes in general for me for many years. Alien is now one of my favorite horror movies.

* And a birthday party where my mother rented Gremlins finished the deal, I spent the movie mostly hiding behind the couch. I mean the movie has a monster hiding in a christmas tree, a source of pure happiness. It was the glowing eyes that did it, it made me scared of seeing glowing eyes anywhere. And Critters (2?) sealed that deal even more by showing red glowing eyes from behind a window. Both Gremlins and Critters are now personal favorites, I love everything that scared the pants off of me as a child. Which was a lot.

* Once Upon a Time in the West - my dad's favourite movie and so he wanted me to see it. It is to this day my absolute favourite movie and it horrified me as a child. The scene where the entire family is shot up, the last remaining kid runs out, he camera zooms in on his eyes and then the electric guitars start blaring, I get goosebumps just thinking about that scene. There are only a few movies my dad specifically lists as really loving them and I happen to love each and every one of them. It's one of the few things we actually share a common interest in.

All that stuff makes up for a lot of what I like to see on TV today. I love 70's, 80's and early 90's horror movies, I love (2D) cartoons. Hearing a theme song from those decades sends instant nostalgia waves.
Old 03 January 2020, 12:56   #8
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Inspector Gadget (the original cartoon) theme song. The cartoon itself is nice enough
You should check the French version of the theme song then. Best part of Inspector Gadget beyond the gadgets themselves of course, is that we never get to see ever elusive Mad mastermind's face. As a kid, I had in my possession the iconic police car miniature, which could be transformed into an ambulance. One of the best episode IMHO is S01 E19 Poot-Ta-Foot's Curse aka the Pharaoh's Curse. It's just so zany, from start to finish :

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by SquawkBox; 03 January 2020 at 14:58.
Old 03 January 2020, 16:19   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Damn, you know specific episodes. My hat off to you.
Old 03 January 2020, 16:54   #10
SquawkBox

Concerning 'The Hass' Knight Rider, I vividly remember a specific episode in which Michael stops by as a guest at some alluring woman's place. The woman happens to be the leader of a gang of art thieves. Quickly, he gets all dizzy on some strange music she plays to get him out of her way, so that she and her gang can steal K.I.T.T.. by pirating its memory modules. Great episode!
I always wondered if such music bearing low or infra frequencies did exist and could actually act as some sedative just by being played in a standard stereo system. Not that it would be a recommended course of action of course, whether that dirty trick could "work" or not on some guest's state of consciousness. Btw, too bad publishers didn't consider offering us a good game based on this very show. My assumption is that it could translate into a great 2.0 top down racing game a la Spy Hunter.
If you still enjoy watching Knight Rider after all these years, Airwolf and also Street Hawk are series each bearing some uber vehicle which you might find enjoyable to some extend, the latter sadly running only for one season. During your nostalgia trip, resist watching or rewatching Baywatch episodes and you should be good to go .