Old 20 December 2019, 16:52   #81
chip

I have no CD now
Old 20 December 2019, 16:58   #82
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
@Retroplay
Why the rush ? I would suggest setting up Windows 10 in VirtualBox, then later on, in dual boot (or on a secondary machine), then make it your main OS when you're ready for it. For starters, I would avoid those MS distros made for entreprise or large organizations. Try to get a normal (pro) version with latest updates slip-streamed instead.

@malko
Ok, you surf a lot, but do you download a lot of stuff from shady parts of the Internet ? Some fake download sites probably made up by major (read Universal) minions will try to infect your computer because they assume you don't own the rights to that particular album or game, or video. Speaking for myself, it's Eset's NOD32 I use most, just the antivirus, I am all right without any "internet security" software. I do get a warning about potential nasties once a week, and discarding wrong positives for good is just two clicks away (ignored and then, excluded from detection). At least, one can assume you probably have default firewall on, whether Windows or Defender one, depending on the version of Windows you run.

Also, hardcore PC gamers don't have much choice but to be using Windows 10 because of DirectX 12. Windows compete with itself more and more, they will do anything they can to make you switch to Windows 10 (and PS users to Xboxes). This said, except maybe for low to mid range quality components based machine, I am not sure all this talk about it being faster or slower than Windows 7 makes more sense. Checking extensively how your favorite software or emulator behaves in general (speed at which it will load up does represent only one factor, and not something of great importance IMHO) and you will end up having good reason to switch or not, beyond first impressions. Have in mind, with the huge amounts of ram at our disposal, one can always copy a shortcut to start menu for said app to be loaded in memory permanently, e.q. that's what I do for ACDSee (popular full fledged image display and manipulation app) so that it can load in no time when I need it for a quick edit.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 20 December 2019 at 17:21.
Old 20 December 2019, 17:05   #83
chip

Can i know what you consider of importance for a system to be considered good ?
Old 20 December 2019, 17:32   #84
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I am using Win10 for around 3 years now and never had a need to log into safemode.
Ok, so maybe you haven't needed to boot into Safe Mode. Lucky you.

As I work in IT as a 3rd line technical analyst supporting the London office (1600 users) and other European remote site... trust me, there have been numerous times when I've needed to get into Safe Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
I have no CD now
Then use any bootable media i.e. USB stick.

...but you get the point Retroplay made and I totally agree with; removing <F8> for Safe Mode is just really stupid and now it's a process to launch
Old 20 December 2019, 17:42   #85
Retro1234
Boo

I will just add my 2 cents it is a nice OS but all this nonsense about it working better on lower spec PCs then other versions is Garbage.

The forced updates are a killer, to make it seem like it was faster at time of shipping.
Old 20 December 2019, 17:52   #86
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Ok, so maybe you haven't needed to boot into Safe Mode. Lucky you.

As I work in IT as a 3rd line technical analyst supporting the London office (1600 users) and other European remote site... trust me, there have been numerous times when I've needed to get into Safe Mode
I work as IT (as well DB Admin) and I am usually 'how to fix this' guy. We have about 150 people and probably over 50 machine controllers + automation that works with our engineering software and laser cutting equipment and some systems we have are still on W2K, XP and Win7 - all embedded and unable to change, but one on Win10 operate more stable and work better, break much less (equipment is also newer)

One thing that I frequently used is Ultimate Boot CD, as well linux distro to make changes on windows that windows will not allow me to do.
Old 20 December 2019, 18:11   #87
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
The forced updates are a killer, to make it seem like it was faster at time of shipping.
It's app recommendation time again, or so it seems! You can bring all update processes to an halt with that tool. So, my take on this is remove the updates you suspect have hampered your machine, and use that straightforward app when done (cut internet access if you suspect it will start again in the background). Or reinstall from scratch and use StopUpdates10 right after having installed the bare minimum, takes time for a MS OS to look beautiful, "cuisiné aux petits oignons" as would say the French!

Last edited by SquawkBox; 21 December 2019 at 00:04.
Old 20 December 2019, 20:07   #88
SquawkBox

Quote:
We have about 150 people and probably over 50 machine controllers + automation
Here at SquawkBox organization, we have about 1 person (that would be me) and a couple of machines bearing mobos manufactured in 2008. These rather limited assets doesn't prevent its task force to use at great advantage the ability for keywords typing in Google. See, a quick Google search will lead you to :
Quote:
Type — or copy and paste — the following into the Command Prompt window and press the [Return] key :
bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
Tada, F8 menu at startup is back. Let me hear you say hurray for SquawkBox ceo awesum keyboarding abilities ! If you don't find DOS prompt, try typing cmd in search box. Btw, MS plans to offer an open source replacement for DOS prompt, it will simply be called Terminal.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 20 December 2019 at 21:09.
Old 20 December 2019, 21:18   #89
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@SquawkBox
Old 20 December 2019, 21:29   #90
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Nice one, CEO, CFO of SquawkBox organization. Superb skillz at Google thing!

Appart from making boot slower, not sure I would need to use this for anything.
Old 20 December 2019, 22:11   #91
spiff
Oh noes!

It's the general feeling that everything is just worse than before and MS doesn't care unless it's something new they can sell.
  • Updates overwriting registry settings, no warning, no backwards compatibility
  • Compressing program files instead of first checking for space and never asking if its ok
  • Exclusive full screen suddenly is a bad thing and if I want to run two screens with separate HDR/ refresh rates/DPI or even widows own fucking scaling settings.. I better save all those settings on paper
  • Calibration profiles are optional
  • Useless errors like: Something went wrong, or can't connect..

Things that never have failed:
  • Making sure candy crush always is on top with new updates
  • Making sure I'm warned that firefox isn't edge, and that edge isn't default browser

These things were bad in Win7 as well, but they didn't get wiped due to arbitrary feature update kb4524445 every 3rd Monday. At least there I knew that I was OK until the big yearly dump.
Old 20 December 2019, 23:27   #92
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

^ simply for the reason MS itself has given :

Windows 10 is NOT an OS, it's a Service !

but not a tailor-made service ... and you have to pay for a service
Old 21 December 2019, 02:22   #93
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
I even installed Win10 on old laptops just to compare speed between XP, Win7 and Win10 (never liked Vista/Win8 and avoided installation of both) and guess what OS works best on 10 year old hardware: Win10.

IMHO it better utilizes resources and requires less resources to work properly. Also did not have to download/install any drivers, Win10 took care of all of them on old hardware?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
I will just add my 2 cents it is a nice OS but all this nonsense about it working better on lower spec PCs then other versions is Garbage.
Sorry Anubutt; but I have to agree with Retro1234 and say that what you've posted is absolute rubbish.

Well, I do agree with Vista / Windows 8 and avoided them like the plague.

I would never even contemplate installing Windows 10 on my 8 year old Acer Aspire 5951G / i5-2410M as it would probably run like an absolute dog compared with Windows 7...

We all know that with every new M$ OS release, more resources i.e. CPU / memory are required... it's been like that for decades now

Last edited by DamienD; 21 December 2019 at 02:29.
Old 21 December 2019, 03:06   #94
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Well said, except Classic Shell / open-shell-menu both feel a bit stiff. I don't think you can pin programs shortcuts or most used features to the left side of the menu like you could in previous Windows versions.
Ah, I didn't see there was an option to mimic Windows 7 start menu presentation, my bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
Can i know what you consider of importance for a system to be considered good ?
If it's not a rhetorical question, I want to be able to customize it to fit my needs (can spend weeks to break it in), I want it to be snappy too obviously, finally, it should play / run everything without any hiccups (within the constraints of the platform of course). If I notice something wrong with a MS tool / function (slow, inefficient...), I'll just use some third party tool e.q. Windows Vista / 7 own defrag tool bores me, I disable it (it's hidden in scheduler), and use instead the hugely popular DiskDefrag though recently, I have switched to Smart Defrag. One, even two dysfunctional app / function is not good enough reason to throw Win10 into the trash-bin IMHO. I remember Windows Vista receiving a lot (read tons) of flak (including from Toni) with good reason, but some of it was made up e.q. Vista's Media Player would force you out of non-DRM bearing material. Service Pack 1 did solve most of the issues with initial release but people had already turned it down since it took MS nearly one year and a half (!) to release all the necessary hotfixes.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 21 December 2019 at 05:28.
Old 22 December 2019, 03:22   #95
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Sorry Anubutt; but I have to agree with Retro1234 and say that what you've posted is absolute rubbish.

Well, I do agree with Vista / Windows 8 and avoided them like the plague.

I would never even contemplate installing Windows 10 on my 8 year old Acer Aspire 5951G / i5-2410M as it would probably run like an absolute dog compared with Windows 7...

We all know that with every new M$ OS release, more resources i.e. CPU / memory are required... it's been like that for decades now
That is complete BS. Try it and trust me, firstly, much more stable, secondly, everything works and no issues with resources. I did it on more than one laptop and did not have any issues.

At work we did also install it on Vostro, dells rubbish old laptops and worked better than Win7 that came on those. (or was is Vista)

I did it on Lenovo 2 in 1, wtih only 2 GB RAM and 32GB SSD and it works fine, no issues. I think that one has Atom processor.
Old 22 December 2019, 04:58   #96
Retro1234
Boo

x86 version just about usable on 2GB but not really and once updates are done your 32gb SSD would be gone and faster than XP thats just pure fantasy.
Old 22 December 2019, 05:18   #97
SquawkBox

@Retro1234
Just in case you didn't notice, the lite edition I linked here won't run properly if one attempts to update it. It's all right if you use another edition / version, but I thought I had to mention that limitation at some point.

@Anubis
Safe mode is not there just for the sake of it in Windows 10, it can prove useful when one has to fix or diagnose issues with a faulty or obsolete driver e.q. guys at 3D guru have been offering DDU for years, it consists in a nifty tool aimed at properly uninstalling GPU drivers package & everything related to it before manually installing latest ones, whether from nVidia or from ATI / AMD. My point is this tool would achieve better driver leftovers cleaning completion in safe mode. Also, at the risk of repeating myself, I agree with you about Win10 being more efficient than Win7 for mid-tiers machines though some power users possess the ability to tweak 7 to the point it would be snappy enough, even under strenuous conditions. This said, some seemingly "bright ideas" from the tweaking community actually make matter worse e.q. reducing the page file to a couple of MB on the assumption lots of ram will compensate for it. It's foolish to assume Windows will not use any page file at all under normal circumstances.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 22 December 2019 at 08:46.
Old 25 December 2019, 15:20   #98
van_dammesque

Be aware that Enterprise edition is the only version you can turn off telemetry completely.
Old 25 December 2019, 18:34   #99
SquawkBox

This is from Leandro Jardim OTT thread, in which he was asking for means to speeding-up Windows 10 :
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
A fine piece of software [Spybot Anti-Beacon], I do agree. Google the free 1.5 version, it went shareware after that, here is a valid link to grab it from.
Should stop most of telemetry on all versions of Windows 10 & 8.1, without any side effect. For something more elaborate, I just noticed guys at O & O offer ShutUp10 for free.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 26 December 2019 at 07:52.
Old 26 December 2019, 02:27   #100
rare_j
Zone Friend

I'm updating the family laptop to windows 10 later today, feels like a step back with the irritating forced restarting and the meaningless surfer dude error messages and the useless start bar search box that brings up cobblers from the internet when you want to start notepad. And that start menu with random nonsense in alphabetical order is useless as well.

Tempted to go Manjaro on it and may well do if it gets all too much.