English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 October 2013, 00:07   #21
mdrejhon
Chief Blur Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amilo3438 View Post
Well, maybe this demo could be a good test case ... http://janeway.exotica.org.uk/release.php?id=4899
Does anyone manage to read the scrolling text on his LCD using any of new Motion Blur reduction technology?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
It is very easy to read in 100Hz + lightboost + black frame insertion mode. (It is less clear without black frame insertion)
Standard 60Hz is really blurry.
Yep!
With my LightBoost display combined with black frame insertion mode, I can even see the pixel jaggies, in the moving text too.

And I can do even better, even at faster motion speeds:
I can even read the street name labels at 1920 pixels/sec:
TestUFO Panning Map Readability Test

In this panning map test,
60Hz display = 32 pixels of motion blurring in regular LCD mode. Street names unreadable.
120Hz display = 16 pixels of motion blurring in regular LCD mode. Street names unreadable.
LightBoost (Strobe brightness 10%) = ~2 pixels of motion blurring in strobe-backlight mode. I can read the map!

That's more than one full, complete, order of magnitude sharper motion clarity with LightBoost.
That's less motion blur than a Sony GDM-W900 CRT, since the strobe flash of LightBoost is shorter than that particular CRT's own phosphor trailoff/decay. See the "It's like a CRT" testimonials.

And G-SYNC's optional "LightBoost seqeuel" strobe mode will be even better than LightBoost!

Last edited by mdrejhon; 27 October 2013 at 00:19.
Old 31 October 2013, 20:39   #22
mdrejhon
Chief Blur Buster

Tom,
There's two additional LightBoost-like strobe backlight monitors now!

1. Eizo Foris FG2421, VA with great blacks, 120Hz strobing (240Hz with black frames)
2. BENQ XL2720Z, with BENQ Motion Blur Reduction.

Both of them are LightBoost-style strobing, with better quality than LightBoost.
Old 10 November 2013, 08:27   #23
mdrejhon
Chief Blur Buster

I now have the Eizo FG2421 (testing it now for a review), and it works great with the black frame insertion feature -- far better than LightBoost. Brighter, more colorful, deeper blacks with MAME black frame insertion, and WinUAE black frame insertion.
Old 10 September 2014, 20:09   #24
ancalimon
Supernormal

I have a Philips 201 B4.

I few versions back (before the ppc emulation started) I was able to set a 1024-768 100hz resolution and enable black frame insertion and things were very smooth. (By the way I created a 50hz 1024 768 resolution using http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Th...on-Utility-CRU and used it at 50hz for a while (I think) But 50hz no longer works properly and things are not smooth. There is also a weird problem of mouse pointer randomly not moving all the way to the left. Sometimes it moves halfway, move a bit right and mode left again and it moves a bit further to the left...). I have a 7970 and using latest beta Catalyst driver

http://grab.by/Af2U

Now with above setting and black frame insertion I can see black frames and it flickers badly. It's also very "unsmooth".

If I switch from Direct3d to DirectDraw using Misc options (everything looks like mud this way), The black frames are no longer there but Black Frame Insertion has no effect (ie moving objects while are as smooth as 50hz they move in a flickerin way as if it redraw things twice on screen making them seem sort of blurry.)

Last edited by ancalimon; 12 September 2014 at 02:20.
Old 15 September 2014, 11:59   #25
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"Now" does not really explain anything..

You need to find which WinUAE beta version was last working version and also confirm it isn't some driver update the changed something.