English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 October 2003, 20:46   #1
vertigo

USB mem card reader

Hi, I have a Qtec USB 5 in 1 card reader for my PC, is it possible to buy an adapter to use this on my a1200? I suppose it would have to fit in the slot on the side of the a1200.

Anyone know if an adapter is available in the UK?

thanks

Old 04 October 2003, 22:43   #2
thomas

AFAIK the only USB adapter for the A1200 is the Subway from E3B. It connects to the clock port. http://www.e3b.de/usb/index_e.html

Card readers work like a charm with the Poseidon software which comes with the Subway.
Old 05 October 2003, 14:03   #3
yadster

This sounds really good. Anywhere in the UK that sells it??
Old 05 October 2003, 14:58   #4
ant512

The Subway is a bit controversial. Everything was fine until a hacker discovered copy-protection code in the Subway's drivers - if it detected any hacking attempts, the driver removed the boot hard disk's RDB (rigid disk block, the Amiga equivalent of Windows' FAT). This effectively wiped your hard disk and was irrecoverable unless you had RDBSalv or a backup of your RDB.

Copy-protection routines that destroy a user's data are illegal in most countries, and similar code was found in most of Elbox's drivers.

Elbox eventually released legal versions of the drivers, but the damage was done - if I remember correctly, development will soon cease on Poseidon (the USB stack). No more bugfixes or updates. Either way, Elbox certainly managed to annoy pretty much everyone who had bought one of their products.

I don't think that anyone sells the Subway or Highway (Zorro version) in the UK. Try Vesalia in Germany (http://www.vealia.de) or Software Hut in America (http://www.softwarehut.com if they're still about).
Old 05 October 2003, 18:43   #5
thomas

Hey, we are talking about the Subway here, not the Spider. The Subway was designed by E3B as I told before and the drivers were written by the Poseidon author himself. There is no spy code in there. In fact the Poseidon author dropped Spider support because of Elbox' misbehaviour.

There is nothing illegal regarding the Subway.

Bye,
Thomas
Old 05 October 2003, 23:37   #6
ant512

Oh yes, you're right. Still, the Spider is another option. Why do companies give their products such similar names (well, they both have "s" in them)?

The Vesalia link should have been http://www.vesalia.de - need a new keyboard as well as a new brain.
Old 06 October 2003, 10:56   #7
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally posted by ant512
RDB (rigid disk block, the Amiga equivalent of Windows' FAT).
Just have to nitpick: it's the partition table, not the file allocation table. :-)
Old 06 October 2003, 21:05   #8
ant512

Right again.

(Shuffles off into corner...)